Poll

Which prompt(s) do you like best?

Beating sickness, disease or injury. The recovery must be a central part of the story.
2 (6.7%)
Betrayal
3 (10%)
“You would betray the (council/member(s) of royal family), betray everything we’ve fought and bled for?”
3 (10%)
Dialogue only
2 (6.7%)
Flash challenge: 500 words or less
2 (6.7%)
Image prompt: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8d/f7/e4/8df7e4bfa93de3098df06ea6856d4c2e.jpg
3 (10%)
Image prompt: http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae123/JediKnightMuse/Worldsmyths/Writing%20Prompts/tumblr_nx7jgs2dIV1uup643o1_1280_zpsyilsefyc.jpg
0 (0%)
A contest between people from many countries
1 (3.3%)
Use the following words/prompts in one story: voyage, battle, castle, scarred, dying
4 (13.3%)
Rivalry
4 (13.3%)
Assassins/murder/kidnapping
3 (10%)
Master/apprentice (interpret the way you will- i.e. a father teaching his son how to rule a kingdom or something
1 (3.3%)
Image prompt: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/ARBk4FD6OXvhvxd0zlEeD_oc_dcf3WAwdNB87DaqUtUHQk_Gvb6hMpI/
2 (6.7%)
Other (will respond with suggestions)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

July/August Writing Challenge Prompt Poll

• 4 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
July/August Writing Challenge Prompt Poll
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:04:56 AM »
So I was discussing the writing challenges with @Silver and I thought that maybe it would be worth a shot to try something that I used to do on one of my old forums for writers that worked out pretty well. I know when I asked about doing this in the past, at least one person thought that it would be too much work, but honestly it's only one more step to add onto posting a challenge/voting. I'm going to have this poll be for July (in case @Sheepy-Pie needs an idea for the challenge) and August, just for this one time, but otherwise, these prompts will be for one month each time.

Anyway...we thought that something that might help with the challenges would be to try doing prompt polls, at the beginning of each month. The voting will go on for the entire month, allowing everyone to vote on the prompts that they like and give suggestions for prompts by replying to the poll, if you have one. This way, it will help us get an idea of the prompts that you guys like ahead of time, so that we know what prompts to use for each challenge.

I tried to do my best picking prompts that were varied and hopefully more on the open ended side and not super specific. We'll see how this poll goes. Please, if you have ANY suggestions for prompts that you think would work, respond to this post with them. Especially open ended prompts (i.e. the "write about a fight/duel" challenge we did got several entries, and it'd be nice if we could figure out more prompts similar to that that wouldn't be too specific.)

I might have gone a little overboard with this poll, but hopefully I gave enough of a variety to choose from. I'm allowing up to four votes per person. Please choose in order of your favorites, and respond with the one(s) you voted for.

Also, feel free to reply to this post if you have not yet given your feedback regarding the challenges!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:21:18 AM by Jedi Knight Muse »
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: July/August Writing Challenge Prompt Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:20:17 AM »
As much as I wanted to vote for "beating sickness, disease, or injury" for personal reasons (it being the direct continuation of what I did for the June challenge), I went with betrayal,
 rivalry, "use the following words," and the picture of the sword on the map.
I went for those for a very specific reason: I think those are among the more open-ended options. (Apart from the flash-fic, but I'm just not a fan of flash fics, and I feel like that's not enough of a prompt to hold it together cohesively as a challenge. There's kind of a sweet-spot of open-endedness, I think.) The same could be said of assassins and master/apprentice, but I think they're a little overdone, in general, and I think there's a little more that can be done with betrayal and rivalry.

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:50:14 AM »
Okay, I went with:
- Beating sickness, disease or injury.
- Betrayal
- Flash challenge: 500 words or less
- Assassins/murder/kidnapping

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
@Sheepy-Pie pointed out to me that we may or may not have already done a "betrayal" challenge (I need to check to be sure), so please keep the votes coming since right now there's multiple ties. Or, if you have any suggestions that aren't in the poll, please reply to this post with them. Also, please make sure to respond with what you voted for if you haven't yet! The polls sadly do not tell us who voted for which option, and I'm definitely curious to know which prompts are getting votes from which people.
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

tkz

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
- A contest between people from many countries
- Rivalry
- Assassins/murder/kidnapping