Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
April Monthly Writing Challenge
« on: April 01, 2018, 05:46:05 PM »
April Writing Challenge
April 1st - 30th

Prompt: We've decided to give TWO prompts to choose from for this month, due to the Worldsmyths Million challenge. Hopefully the first one is open enough that we can get some interesting entries! You can choose to do one prompt or the other, or you can do both if you can fit them together! (But only one entry per person)

Your first prompt is a dream. This could be an actual dream, or it could be a metaphor, it could be a character thinking about the future. Go wild and have fun. 
Or
Your second prompt is to share an action scene from your current project/Million Words Challenge entry. Any kind of action is fine - it doesn't necessarily have to be a physical fight scene.

If you have any other questions about the challenge, please reply to this post!

Wordcount: 5,000 word maximum. Please remember, this is just a maximum, meaning that you do NOT have to write 5,000 words, it just means that you can't surpass it.
Submission deadline: Monday, April 30th, 2018, by 11:59 PM GMT-5 (11:59 PM EDT).

If you already have something written, you CAN and are encouraged to submit it to the challenge!

Voting will be posted on Tuesday, May 1st, 2018.

All entries should be submitted to the writing challenge submission forum, using the submission form. You are allowed to submit your challenge via Google doc link or by uploading a Word doc to a response to this post as an attachment.

Remember, all entries must fit the fantasy genre.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here in the thread or send me a PM! Good luck!

Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:

Code: [Select]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word count:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Link to story:[/b]
[b]Do you want feedback after voting ends?[/b]

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
  • Beta Reading Profile: Available, but not a native speaker.
Re: April Monthly Writing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:59:16 AM »
Just dropping by to say I think it's a very good decision to have the same wordcount limit for both prompts - I thought that 300-500 words was too short to really get into the story (since they weren'twritten as flash fiction pieces in the first place), and some of the submissions for the march challenge felt really truncated, which definitely had an impact on my vote.
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »
Just dropping by to say I think it's a very good decision to have the same wordcount limit for both prompts - I thought that 300-500 words was too short to really get into the story (since they weren'twritten as flash fiction pieces in the first place), and some of the submissions for the march challenge felt really truncated, which definitely had an impact on my vote.
1. I just noticed your reply 2. I also just realized that this challenge's information only gives one word count for both prompts. I don't think it was really intended to keep it at 5,000 words for both prompts, @Manu - the reason the there was a 3-5,000 limit for the Million Challenge writing prompt is because of the fact that it's basically an excerpt prompt, whereas the other, non-million challenge prompt is just a regular challenge prompt and would have the usual 5,000 word limit...

Since the info has been up for a while, we'll just keep it to 5,000 words for both prompts, I guess. I agree that 3-5,000 words is tough for some of the entries, and especially for the Million Challenge specific prompt. It's just tough because the point of the Million Challenge prompts are supposed to be for excerpts since we have so many people doing the Million Challenge that are working on specific things already.

Also, bump! Hope to see some entries soon!
NaNoWriMo 2018

katfireblade

• Expert
  • Probably bad for you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
Title:  The Frog and the Ritual
Word count: 4250
Summary: Dreams are tricky things, made trickier when magical bonds are involved.

Link to story:
My forum post can be found here:  April Challenge - The Frog and the Ritual
My story can be found here: The Frog and the Ritual

Do you want feedback after voting ends? Always and forever yes.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
Title: Hot and Cold
Word count: 2522
Summary: Sarett is having a bad bad day :|

http://forum.worldsmyths.com/index.php?topic=1493.0

And yes to feedback please :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »
Title: Assassin Attack
Word count: 849.
Summary: In the middle of the night, the ship that Arris is traveling to Tethra on, The Bearer, is attacked.
Link to story: Forum link / Google doc link.
Do you want feedback after voting ends? Sure.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
Bump- still plenty of time to get your submissions in!
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 09:56:18 PM »
Tomorrow's (Monday) the last night to get your entries in! I hope we see at least one or two more entries!
NaNoWriMo 2018