Character Building Scenario - The Question

• 4 Replies

katfireblade

• Expert
  • Probably bad for you
    • View Profile
Character Building Scenario - The Question
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:25 AM »
Let's see if this gets any attention. Writing exercise/character building time!

No, you do not have to write a dissertation, or even a story. It's mostly a scenario building exercise in your head, though you can do more with it if you want.

So...the character of your choice gains the ability (temporary or permanent, innate or caused by an object, in cannon in your story or out of cannon) to hear the honest answer to any question just by looking at a person and thinking the question. It was all pretty much fun and games...until they looked in the mirror one day and asked a question they shouldn't have.

What was that question?

And, if you're feeling real ambitious, what happens next?

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Character Building Scenario - The Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
This is so so cool, and I am definitely going to do a full response, but I am going to have to have a big think on it :D it can go in so many ways!

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
  • Beta Reading Profile: Available, but not a native speaker.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
Can't think of anything, but this is an awesome idea - could be the plot for a short story :)
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

Amblygon

• Journeyman
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
Really cool idea! Will try this to kickstart my million word challenge writing! :D

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
*sprinkles the cheese*

So here is mine :P no surprises? I actually never thought to look into this... somehow... 

The mirror stared back at me, sharing wide black eyes drifting to brown. Of course I had to go and fucking do it. At first it was an accident, a fleeting glance and thought which loosened the thread. And there it was begging to be pulled that little bit more to rid of it, for the whole thing to unravel one question at a time. I couldn’t just leave it, could I? I had to go and ask a question I shouldn’t have.
What do I want?
A purpose; a place to belong and feel normal, an equal.
And happiness. Don’t forget the happiness.
It shouldn’t have been a surprise, only a recognition of things already known, of puzzle pieces slotting into place and making sense for a change. But the bare words strung a chord, a need to dig deeper and dredge up things best buried.
Where is—
I could bloody answer that myself. As much as Bachester had been good to me the actual place didn’t matter so much, it was more of a with who. Who else but the biggest pain in my arse ticked all the bloody boxes. I found myself gravitating towards him without thinking and no matter how childishly annoying he became, or how much he drove me up the wall… I never felt out of place. He looked past the walls and colours, slipping straight past every barrier I tried to hide myself behind. With him I could be me. Truly me. Unconditionally.
The words slipped from my mouth. Ones I’d heard whispers of, but never braved to listen closer.
Do I love him?
Yes.
It was that simple.