• 10 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
What's next on your project list?
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »
Let's look into the future - this may be the near or far future, depending on where you currently are in your writing. You've finished writing (or rewriting) your current project, and put it to the side for a short while after finishing it and decide to start working on something new.

What do you write? Is it a sequel to the previous project? A prequel? Is it something totally unrelated? Or do you not take a break and do you do ANOTHER rewrite?

Based on my current outline, I really don't have THAT much more left to write, theoretically, which means that I could finally end up being finished with Storms of Magic and will likely need to put it to the side for a while (I've often seen the advice given that you should put a project to the side for a while, like after NaNoWriMo, before starting on edits/rewrites). I think in my case, I would probably take a look at my list of ideas that I've written down (I pulled the ideas out of my idea journal and then wrote a bunch of the ones that stood out to me down in a big list) and see what I could come up with next. Some of the really, really vague ideas include:

-Something with twins/siblings/royalty/betrothal(s)
-Multiple kingdoms/countries (allies and enemies - thank you Game of Thrones for influencing that idea)
-Something from the point of view of a mentor (this would be inspired by the mentor trope discussion)
-Something with fairies/a fairy court
-Maybe some kind of a prophecy
-Hiding magic abilities
-A dying king/queen
-Something revolving around a family of magic users (this would probably be connected to the twins/siblings/royalty/betrothals thing)

That's basically it at the moment. Now, ideally, it'd be nice if I could combine these ideas together...and it's really tempting to start trying to outline something that would work for it, but I'm holding off on that until I type THE END on Storms of Magic.

What about you guys? Do you know what you're writing after your current project, or will you not know until you get to the point of needing to start writing?
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

ScribblerKat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
Re: What's next on your project list?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »
After I finish this WIP, I have to set aside fantasy for a while and take up my Regency romances again. I'm way behind in them. I have two finished (first drafts), and several partially finished.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

Rohierim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »
Oh let us see. I have one novel at the editor that will need to be worked on when it arrives back at my desk. I'm 30k words into a new novel already. I'm contemplating rebranding all of my already published work. Look into getting audio books set up for 2018. Redo/set up new websites for my business and my writing. Finish the above said novels and start either a new series or continue one of the series that contains the above said books. Oh so many things on the burner yet so little time to do the cooking. :D

Roh

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:02 AM »
Once I'm done connecting the dots between what I've got, it's back to the prequel for me.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
Once I have finished writing my short story and my main WIP which I really want done (or even just to a level so betas can pick through it) I want to work on something I did a ton of research on and involved the Zodiac as characters who embody the characteristics common to them. Ie. Stubborn Capricorn who is a loner. I also researched the colours commonly found with each one and used it to form where they live. For example Capricorn again has a lot of whites, blacks, and greys. Add that with the goat fish and I've placed them in the mountains. And then where they live is named after the biggest star in their constellation :D

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
I always have stuff that I can be working on next! I don't currently have any burning ideas for brand new projects, which is probably a good thing because I have way too much other stuff to get done. For Camp NaNo I've been focusing on finished the first draft of the second book of my trilogy (it's not going too great) as well as some short stories (slightly more successful). I'm also working on my web serial, which is kind of an ongoing thing with no particular ending planned yet.

But next I need to do the final draft of a science fiction novel because I actually want to try to query that some time in the near future. I also have the final edit on a fantasy novella that I'm probably going to go the self-pub route on, because it's an awkward length for traditional publishing (~35,000 words, so too short for a novel and way too long for a short story. I tried to expand it to novel-length and it was kind of a disaster. It's a story that's just most comfortable at about 35,000 words, I guess).

And obviously I need to write the third book of my trilogy, but when that happens will depend on how much I can get the second book to cooperate.
Unusual Florida: A Web Serial | Chapter Index

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
I also have the final edit on a fantasy novella that I'm probably going to go the self-pub route on, because it's an awkward length for traditional publishing (~35,000 words, so too short for a novel and way too long for a short story. I tried to expand it to novel-length and it was kind of a disaster. It's a story that's just most comfortable at about 35,000 words, I guess).

Okay, this is an indirect bit of information that you just gave me, 'cause like...lol, right now I think I'm going to be lucky if I get the current draft of Storms of Magic to 20 or 25k, never mind the usual, like, 80k+ or whatever it should be. I was thinking about it and it's definitely NOT a short story (and it's not meant to be a short story, either), but right now it's probably going to be more in the novella range. It's also good to know for publishing purposes that I'd be better off self-publishing just because of the length, unless I'm able to get it to be waaaay longer in the (eventual) rewrite.

The web serial sounds interesting. I've never considered doing that...probably because I can never commit to something long enough to actually write one. :P And I wouldn't even really know how to go about it 'cause I've never looked into it.
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

Irish_Carbomb

• Journeyman
  • Yarr! I'm a pirate. I be plunderin' yer werdz!
    • View Profile
    • The Author Known as Vanderbilt
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
I just plan around my main series, tbh. Right now, I'm waiting on the last few chapters of book 2 to undergo alpha. So, I've been working on an unrelated cyberpunk project. Once I finish the cyberpunk project, I start rewriting book 2. After that, book 2 goes to beta and I do edits on the cyberpunk project. Then, I start preproduction on book 2, and I'll probably jump to another unrelated fantasy novella that needs to be edited (easy enough to pick at that while doing preproduction). After that, I start writing book 3. Book 2 will get final touches and go to pub. Finish up book 3 and send it to alpha. Might pick up a genre bender I was messing with a year ago and finish that. *shrugs* I dunno, man. XD

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »
When I've finished editing "The Window Man" (second draft done, fine tuning in progress), I intend to continue with my first draft of "Carrying a Torch" which should precede "The Window Man" in the correct chronological order. 

I also have to finish the first draft of "Probyt's Progress" and "The Halloriyaan".  They come later in the sequence, so they're not a priority right now. 

I have some fine-tuning to do on "Chimera Obscura" and I need to do a second draft with extensive re-writes for "The Unborn Child".

I have also promised to do a third Doctor Who fanfiction in collaboration with one of my regular writing partners.  We do crossovers of our own novels as well as fanfiction.  It's only for fun but I find it's good practice and has helped to improve my writing techniques. 

Wishing you all flowing inspiration and success with all your projects. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
There a currently three major ideas that i could tackle once Tigerhall is finished.
  • Solatic was started as a science fiction story last november. I stopped working on it because i learned that i'm not really comfortable in the SF genre. However it might be possible to change some of the settings and have it as a SF/F mixture with an emphasis on the fantasy part (due to having a fantasy POV). I really like the actual story and would fit a single stand alone novel.
  • A major project i want to undertake in the future is a story set in my World Tree setting. While the main inspiration for this is the setting (What if the world was an actual giant tree?), i already have some ideas for characters and a plot. However i see this more as a series, maybe a trilogy. I don't think i want to squeeze this into a single novel.
  • The least developed idea is creating a fantasy world taking heavy inspiration from actual real physics, especially quantum physics. I'm not a scientist, but i'm interesseted in this stuff and especially quantum physics looks pretty weird. So the idea was born to use this weirdness as the base for a magic system.
Most promising right now is probably Solatic, since there is already a lot of background work done and nearly 20k words written. And currently i don't feel confident enough to start an actual series, so another stand alone novel to train myself might be better.
However i have to finish Tigerhall first, which will take some time (i'm happy if the first draft is finished at the end of the year).
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 34,711

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
I have the results of 2 NaNos in phase of 70-90 pages each, waiting to be continued after I finish editing this 2 volumes novel for publishing.

One of them will be the subject of the November NaNo too. Most likely the one which is a sequel to the already published "Lives in turmoil". This would be titled "Other turmoils of life" and carries the story up to about 1830 in Siant Louis, I think. Maybe up to the Cherokee Trail of Tears, but I am not sure.

The other is going to be split in 3 volumes, and the generic title is "The price of freedom". Part one - Sword Angel (ongoing), Part two - "Sworn brothers", Part three - "Reunited sisters"[/b]