• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
August Writing Challenge
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:03:13 AM »
August Writing Challenge

Prompt: 500 Word Flash / Specific Words

We're going to try shaking things up a bit and try a harder challenge. I really hope that people will enjoy this challenge and enter!

Prompt #1: Your prompt is to write a flash story of 500 words or less, rather than the usual 5,000 words. These 500 words can be anything - they don't have to follow a specific prompt or anything. (So this is basically a free write prompt. As long as it fits the fantasy genre, it works! If you REALLY need a prompt and the second prompt isn't inspiring anything, let us know, but I hope you'll be able to write something from either/both of these prompts!)

Prompt #2: Your prompt is to write a 5,000 word or less story, making sure to use five of the following words:
Voyage
Battle
Castle
Scarred
Death
Burning
Dungeon
Myth
Swordplay
Dance

(Note: initially, you might have noticed that I'd said "at least five" words, but I'd meant that you need to use any five of the words on the list.)

I hope these words inspire something for you!

Please make sure sure to bold each word in your story. (i.e. "The castle was high on a cliff, looking over the -insert name- Sea.")

You can choose to respond to one of these prompts or do a combo of both!

Wordcount: 500 words maximum for the first prompt.

5,000 word maximum for the second prompt. Please remember, this is just a maximum, meaning that you do NOT have to write 5,000 words, it just means that you can't surpass it.
Submission deadline: August the 31st, by 11:59 PM GMT-5 (11:59 PM EDT).

If you already have something written that fits either of these prompts, you CAN and are encouraged to submit it to the challenge.

Voting will be posted on Friday, 1st September, followed by the September challenge prompt.

All entries should be submitted to the writing challenge submission forum, using the submission form. You are allowed to submit your challenge via Google doc link or by uploading a Word doc to a response to this post as an attachment.

Remember, all entries must fit the fantasy genre and must fit the given prompt(s) in some way or must follow specifically given directions.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here in the thread or send me a PM! Good luck!

Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:

Code: [Select]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word count:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Chosen prompt (indicate #1, #2 or combo of both):[/b]
[b]Link to story:[/b]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:42:19 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
Current total goal: 25,000
July Camp Goal: 15,000 (4,474=difference needed to get to 15k)

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: August Writing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Note: initially when I posted the challenge, you might have noticed that I'd said "at least five" words, but I'd meant that you need to use any five of the words on the list.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »
Bump! Don't forget about this challenge!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »
Bump! There's still plenty of time to get something submitted Anyone planning on writing something, or submitting something they've already written (since one of the prompts is basically a free write)?