• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
August Writing Challenge
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:03:13 AM »
August Writing Challenge

Prompt: 500 Word Flash / Specific Words

We're going to try shaking things up a bit and try a harder challenge. I really hope that people will enjoy this challenge and enter!

Prompt #1: Your prompt is to write a flash story of 500 words or less, rather than the usual 5,000 words. These 500 words can be anything - they don't have to follow a specific prompt or anything. (So this is basically a free write prompt. As long as it fits the fantasy genre, it works! If you REALLY need a prompt and the second prompt isn't inspiring anything, let us know, but I hope you'll be able to write something from either/both of these prompts!)

Prompt #2: Your prompt is to write a 5,000 word or less story, making sure to use five of the following words:
Voyage
Battle
Castle
Scarred
Death
Burning
Dungeon
Myth
Swordplay
Dance

(Note: initially, you might have noticed that I'd said "at least five" words, but I'd meant that you need to use any five of the words on the list.)

I hope these words inspire something for you!

Please make sure to bold each word in your story. (i.e. "The castle was high on a cliff, looking over the -insert name- Sea.")

You can choose to respond to one of these prompts or do a combo of both!

Wordcount: 500 words maximum for the first prompt.

5,000 word maximum for the second prompt. Please remember, this is just a maximum, meaning that you do NOT have to write 5,000 words, it just means that you can't surpass it.
Submission deadline: August the 31st, by 11:59 PM GMT-5 (11:59 PM EDT).

If you already have something written that fits either of these prompts, you CAN and are encouraged to submit it to the challenge.

Voting will be posted on Friday, 1st September, followed by the September challenge prompt.

All entries should be submitted to the writing challenge submission forum, using the submission form. You are allowed to submit your challenge via Google doc link or by uploading a Word doc to a response to this post as an attachment.

Remember, all entries must fit the fantasy genre and must fit the given prompt(s) in some way or must follow specifically given directions.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here in the thread or send me a PM! Good luck!

Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:

Code: [Select]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word count:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Chosen prompt (indicate #1, #2 or combo of both):[/b]
[b]Link to story:[/b]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:04:42 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: August Writing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Note: initially when I posted the challenge, you might have noticed that I'd said "at least five" words, but I'd meant that you need to use any five of the words on the list.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »
Bump! Don't forget about this challenge!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »
Bump! There's still plenty of time to get something submitted Anyone planning on writing something, or submitting something they've already written (since one of the prompts is basically a free write)?

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »
I might try and submit something, depending on how my editing goes :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »
Bump! There's still time to get your entries in!

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
I have something, but I was kind of waiting for someone else to submit something. I don't want to be the only entry.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
I have something, but I was kind of waiting for someone else to submit something. I don't want to be the only entry.

Yeah, I don't blame you.  :-\ I have a vague thing at least planned that I came up with at the beginning of the month but I haven't even tried to work on it, and now I think I'm getting sick with a cold...so I don't know if I'm going to get it written in time or not. I'm hoping to, though.

ericadawn16

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:47:50 AM »
Author: Erica Freeman
Title: Diane
Word count: 221
Summary: Diane can't find her mama.
Challenge #: 18 (admin note- turned this into "18" 'cause it's the 18th challenge for the site :) )
Prompt(s): I kind of didn't read the post correctly and combined the challenges.
Notes: Sorry
Also, the code is off above. One of the Bolds wasn't closed so it made the whole entry Bolded. I fixed it for mine but you might want to fix the original.

Diane was lost. She felt so alone and helpless. Her mama had said to keep close and she'd tried but then, the battle had started and everything scared her. The men were loud and swords were sharp. One man with a very scarred face had screamed at her and swung his ax. Only quick reflexes kept her from certain death. She didn't like this at all.

"Mama!" she screamed. The air was thick with smoke. Men were coughing around her but she had no such problem. Instead, it was hard to see and she needed to see if she was going to find her mama. Finally, she spotted some burning debris in the distance.

"Mama!" she called again and her heard mama call back. Overjoyed, she hurried over and was greeted by her parent. Her mama set fire to more of the scary men.

"That's the last of them, darling. You were so brave today," her mama spoke in a soft voice and kissed her.

"I don't feel brave," Diane complained. Mama's purple eyes almost looked sad.

"One day, you'll be a big dragon like me and all the men will fear you," she promised. Diane found it hard to believe but it would be nice. The men looked so angry.

Then, the two of them flew back to their castle.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:38:35 AM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Soft Like Snow

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
Author Soft Like Snow
Title: Growing Trouble
Word count: 481
Summary: The last person Marie wanted to see when she’s sneaking out her breakfast is the Lord Mage who’s kidnapped her. Yet here she is.
Challenge # 18
Chosen prompt (indicate #1, #2 or combo of both): Prompt 1- Flash Fiction
Notes: This is more of a story within a larger storyline that I’ve not written yet. So I hope it counts? Also first time entering! I finally got around to it haha.

“Someone can carry that for you.” His severe eyes swept over her dirty silk dress and the huge potted sapling in her arms.

By the gods, he’d be wondering what sort of family raised her, given the state she was in. Up to her elbows in soil, she’d also somehow lost her shoes in the process of discovering what she’d done to this morning’s breakfast.

The urge to explain made the words rush out before she could stop herself. “It was an accident, and I found it on the floor this morning.”

He raised an eyebrow, his expression inscrutable and she felt a blush rising to her cheeks. Her aunt would be mortified.

“Where did you get the compost from?” he asked, his tone was neutral, as though it wasn’t unusual for a woman he’d kidnapped as part of a diplomatic negotiation to be found wandering about with a plant in his castle.

“Oh, I borrowed some, and the pot was full of marbles so they’re on the bed until I get back.” Oh gods, was the vase really old? The prince had showed her similar things that were older than his kingdom back when she’d been at the palace. “I’ll put it back.”

He nodded, his eyebrow had lowered. “Would you like me to take you to where you can plant it?”

“Yes, please.” Relief flooded her. He was taking this very well all things considered.

Their walk was silent and instead of going out into the courtyard she’d been aiming for, he took her to a large field not far from the stables.

“Plant it where you like.” He motioned to the empty field and she blinked. She could grow an orchard with this much space. “Do you need equipment?”

Equipment? She blinked at him stupidly before realising he meant shovels, watering cans and the like.

“Oh! No, the roots should take fairly quickly.”

He stayed put as she walked a little further away, placing the pot onto the ground and beginning to uncover the roots. A little thrill jolted through her and she couldn’t help but smile as she lifted her morning mistake out of its china prison and onto the damp lawn.

Her family would be horrified, her showing off her magic. But the Lord-Mage had plucked objects out of thin air and he’d not care about a little plant witchery. The sapling twisted and began to grow. Marie took care to empty all the soil around it as the grass grew lush between her fingers in greeting.

After a few minutes, Marie stood up and stood beside him as they both watched her sapling flourish and mature into a tree that could have easily been living there for a few hundred years.

“That’s why they want you.” He said, slowly moving his eyes away from the tree and towards her. “You’re a mage.”

Her heart stopped.

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
Title: Gossip
Word count: 495
Summary:  The city is rife with a crop of new, ridiculous rumors about Martyn. But Martyn kind of likes it.
Chosen prompt (indicate #1, #2 or combo of both): #1 (Flash Fiction)
Link to story: Gossip

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:01:20 AM »
Submissions are officially closed!