Poll

Do you think we should take a break from the writing challenges for NaNoWriMo?

Yes- skip October and November and pick them back up in December
5 (50%)
Yes- only skip November itself and pick the challenges back up in December
4 (40%)
No, keep the challenges going in both October and November
1 (10%)
Other - will reply
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Monthly Writing Challenge Break For NaNoWriMo?

• 14 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Monthly Writing Challenge Break For NaNoWriMo?
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
So last year, we ended up taking a break from the writing challenges since we had so many people participating in NaNoWriMo. I BELIEVE we did the September challenge and then we stopped the challenges for October and November and picked it back up in December, although I could be wrong about that because I think I vaguely remember not picking them back up until January? Either way, we paused them for a few months because we had  a lot of people focusing on world building, writing for NaNo, and then even editing for NaNo. We also had people dealing with midterms/finals/final projects in November and December, so there's that, too.

So what we're wondering is whether or not people think we should do the same thing this year. I have a fairly good idea what the majority vote will probably be but I want to see what everyone thinks, so PLEASE vote and reply with any comments or questions or whatever about it. Thanks!

Edit:
I did some digging, and I believe that last year we actually did have a challenge in October, but we skipped November and started them back up in November. What I was remembering was that we decided to start doing the monthly challenges rather than the two week at a time challenges starting in January, so I think I was mixing that up.

So please keep that in mind when voting- we can either skip October and November for prep and NaNo itself or we can have an October challenge and only skip November and return to doing monthly challenges in December.

I've updated the poll options and made it so that people can change their votes, so feel free to vote again if you've already voted.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:39:38 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
Re: Monthly Writing Challenge Break For NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:21:07 PM »
I'd say suspend it for November if a lot of people will be doing NaNo, but I don't really see a reason to suspend the October challenge, too.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:25:02 PM »
I'd say suspend it for November if a lot of people will be doing NaNo, but I don't really see a reason to suspend the October challenge, too.
I think last year the reason we skipped October as well was because a lot of people who were doing NaNo were too busy focusing on prepping for it and weren't going to be able to focus on doing that AND make sure they had something for the challenge. I THINK. I thought I had made an official announcement asking about what to do but I couldn't really find it. I think I vaguely remember it being a discussion in a different announcement post and that was what led to us deciding to skip October. That's what I vaguely remember, anyway, but I could be wrong. I'm 99% positive we skipped both October and November last year because of NaNo prep and NaNo itself.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:36:14 PM »
Ah, okay, I did some digging and figured out what we did last year.

Important note: I believe that last year we actually did have a challenge in October, but we skipped November and started them back up in November. What I was remembering was that we decided to start doing the monthly challenges rather than the two week at a time challenges starting in January, so I think I was mixing that up.

So please keep that in mind when voting- we can either skip October and November for prep and NaNo itself or we can have an October challenge and only skip November and return to doing monthly challenges in December.

I was able to change the voting options and make it so that you can re-vote, so feel free to change your vote if you need to do so.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:40:28 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:50 AM »
There is nothing saying we couldn't do a double month thing anyway, so we put up a prompt beginning of October, and leave it til end of November, for those who aren't doing nano :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:38 AM »
There is nothing saying we couldn't do a double month thing anyway, so we put up a prompt beginning of October, and leave it til end of November, for those who aren't doing nano :)

Very true.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:48:28 AM by Jedi Knight Muse »

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »

I like this. Or just skipping November. Not all of us are planners, and non-planners wouldn't have any need to skip October, and I'm sure some people aren't doing NaNo at all.

Amblygon

• Novice
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »
Or you could consider a prompt that could work for people doing NaNo (something generic like share the opening scene of your novel - I think that could work for NaNo and non-NaNo and we could even have a discussion topic now/in October about opening scenes to help inspire people for NaNo and their other projects). I'd participate in a challenge if I could submit something that I'd written for NaNo, but probably wouldn't have time/inspiration to write something specific for a challenge.

SecretRock

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
Or you could consider a prompt that could work for people doing NaNo (something generic like share the opening scene of your novel - I think that could work for NaNo and non-NaNo and we could even have a discussion topic now/in October about opening scenes to help inspire people for NaNo and their other projects). I'd participate in a challenge if I could submit something that I'd written for NaNo, but probably wouldn't have time/inspiration to write something specific for a challenge.

This sounds good to me. It also lets people showcase their favourite bits of their stories so far.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »

I think this is a great idea, yes. I think we could definitely do something like that. I think the "share your opening scene" idea is definitely a good prompt for that.

Also, just as an FYI, whether or not something was written for NaNo for as part of a writing project in general, you're always welcome to submit something you've already written for one of the writing challenges, as long as it fits the prompt that we've given. It doesn't have to be something brand new, as long as it fits the prompt and the fantasy genre.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
UPDATE: as long as there are no objections to doing so, we're going to come up with a generic prompt that will work for those who are and aren't participating in NaNo this year so that everyone can still participate in a challenge (i.e. share the opening scene for your novel) so that we don't have to skip over any months. So we'll still be doing October and November challenges.

If anyone has any prompt suggestions for the October challenge, please feel free to let us know in this post.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »
Bump

There's about a day left before the October challenge will be posted- anyone have any suggestions for a generic prompt that we could use for those who are and aren't participating in NaNo?

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
Write a story with a focus on detailing the surroundings? Get creative, as in: how does the character see it, why is this setting causing a problem, etc. For people doing NaNo, this could be used for world building, or defining a setting in their project, and for everyone else just a fun challenge to practice description.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
You could do a prompt that's just "worldbuilding." Like...show off your best bit. Something you're really proud of, no matter how minute it is.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
Write a story with a focus on detailing the surroundings? Get creative, as in: how does the character see it, why is this setting causing a problem, etc. For people doing NaNo, this could be used for world building, or defining a setting in their project, and for everyone else just a fun challenge to practice description.

Hm. I think I like that idea. We were a little slow on discussing the challenge for October behind the scenes, so hopefully I'll have it posted tomorrow (Sunday) either with this idea or with something else if we somehow come up with something better (which is doubtful :P )
You could do a prompt that's just "worldbuilding." Like...show off your best bit. Something you're really proud of, no matter how minute it is.
The only problem with doing that is that it's so specific, and it's the only choice being given. Also, some people aren't great at world building (-raises hand-) and might end up actually being more frustrated by trying to do so for a challenge and end up not submitting anything as a result.  :-\