Poll

Do you use the activity stream to see new topics, or do you click on "view new posts?"

I use the activity stream to see new topics
10 (83.3%)
I click on "view new posts"
1 (8.3%)
Other, will reply
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Activity Stream Poll- Please read and vote!

• 34 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Activity Stream Poll- Please read and vote!
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
So something that's been suggested to us is that we need to get rid of the activity stream, because right now we're not generating enough activity to justify having the stream. Sheepy, Silver and I have discussed it and aren't thrilled with the idea of getting rid of it, but we decided to ask you guys what you think and go from there with deciding whether or not to get rid of it. It only cost like $19.99, and it was a one time payment and we've had it for...maybe almost a year or something? I can't even remember when I installed it.

What I, personally, like:
1. It keeps a log of who has voted in polls
2. It displays at the top of the site when someone has registered
3. It's way more reliable than "view new posts" is

It's annoying that it constantly shows when people have edited a post and such, but I also like that it shows when a new topic has been posted, for example. I've found that it's way more reliable than "view new posts," because I feel like when I was just using that, it was easier to miss posts and responses, but I don't think I miss them at all any more, and if I do it's rare.

So what I'm wondering is how many people use the stream to look at new topics/reply VS how many use "view new posts," and what you guys think of the activity stream in general. Do you find it useful or annoying?

Once we've gotten a fair amount of votes/responses, we'll decide whether or not to keep it.
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
Re: Activity Stream Poll- Please read and vote!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
I think I must be alone in actually hating the activity stream; in fact, when it first appeared I thought there was a bug on the site and I kept waiting for it to be fixed. Then I realized it was not only deliberate, but money had actually been spent to put it there. :( I can see why people would like it, but I find it annoying. I really hate that it shows who has voted in polls, because there are usually so few people voting that it's easy to tell who voted how, and I don't like that at all, especially when it comes to the monthly challenges. I feel like those votes should be private.

So I am for getting rid of it, but it seems I'm the minority.

ETA: But since it has already been paid for, you might as well keep it, or that's a waste of $20.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
I think I must be alone in actually hating the activity stream; in fact, when it first appeared I thought there was a bug on the site and I kept waiting for it to be fixed. Then I realized it was not only deliberate, but money had actually been spent to put it there. :( I can see why people would like it, but I find it annoying. I really hate that it shows who has voted in polls, because there are usually so few people voting that it's easy to tell who voted how, and I don't like that at all, especially when it comes to the monthly challenges. I feel like those votes should be private.

So I am for getting rid of it, but it seems I'm the minority.

ETA: But since it has already been paid for, you might as well keep it, or that's a waste of $20.

Yikes.  :-\ Thinking back on it, I probably should have announced and asked if it was something people would want at the time, and...I don't think I did, since you thought it was there by accident at first. So that's totally a "my bad" on my part. :-\

I wouldn't call it a waste of $20.00. We've had it for a good amount of time, and we got a good use out of it, but if people don't want it, and if I'm being told that we shouldn't have it because we're not active enough to justify it...it should only be a few clicks of a button to disable it, and it's not like I wouldn't be able to reactivate it when we have the activity level needed to be able to justify it, if I remember right. When I installed it, we were a bit more active than what we are now, so that's what had justified it at the time.

I also totally hear you about the polls, and you're right. I hadn't thought about it like that.

Also, for what it's worth, I specifically asked how many people are actually using it first in the poll before asking if we should get rid of it because I wanted to see how many people are actually using it first. If I have to, I'll make another poll asking if we should disable it. If more people say that they find it to be a giant pain in the butt and annoying and such, then I have no problem disabling it until further notice.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »
I like the activity stream because I can see straight away whether there are any posts that I want to read or reply to, without having to log in.  Because my "me" time is limited and I have several sites that I like to check on a daily basis, this helps me to decide whether to log in here or go to my next port of call.  Most days I do log in, but if I'm in a particular hurry, I might skip some of my usual sites so that I can concentrate on my writing as a priority. 

I had no idea that it was a paid-for service, nor that it made the voting system public.  I thought that only those who had voted could see the voting results. 

Is there no way to keep the activity stream but change the way the voting system works?  Perhaps you could look into the logistics of that. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:33:58 PM »
I had no idea that it was a paid-for service, nor that it made the voting system public.  I thought that only those who had voted could see the voting results. 

Is there no way to keep the activity stream but change the way the voting system works?  Perhaps you could look into the logistics of that. 

It makes the fact that people have voted in a poll public, but not specifically what they voted for unless it's painfully obvious...like right now, it's probably pretty obvious which people voted for "I use the stream" VS "I use view new posts." I actually like the fact that it tells us when someone votes, since it helps us staff members know who the people who are consistently voting, but I can totally see what @Ahryantah means since really, there aren't a ton of people who vote in the challenges like there should be, and it's been a struggle to change that. So I think that as long as we're getting such a small amount of votes each time when we put the voting up for challenges, it's actually probably better if it doesn't log the votes.

I just went in to the settings and was able to disable having it log votes in the stream. I also turned off having it log when people edit a post, so that won't take up as much space in the stream, either.

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I kinda only use the activity stream half the time I'm on here. I've become rather fluent at it :)
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 08:30:18 PM »
The stream is right there. Everywhere. I can see it from the page I have saved in my favorites. I don't want to have to go to a different page if I don't have to.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »
I just went in to the settings and was able to disable having it log votes in the stream. I also turned off having it log when people edit a post, so that won't take up as much space in the stream, either.

That should deal with the issues relating to voting.  Even more reason to keep it. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »

That should deal with the issues relating to voting.  Even more reason to keep it. 

It is, but the people telling me to get rid of it aren't necessarily wrong- what they're basically saying is that we're not busy enough to justify having it. There should be posts and posts and posts constantly being made to go into the stream and that's not the case. That's largely because we seem to have a fair amount of lurkers who maybe log in, maybe respond to something, but that's about it and there seem to be more lurkers than actual people who reply to AND start their own topics.

So while on the one hand, I'm glad to see that the activity stream is being put to use by most of the members who've responded so far, on the other hand...I'm hesitant to keep it because right now we're just not active enough to keep it at the moment. We need to be creating way more content and have people log in way more often and actually participating.

Initially I was resisting getting rid of it based on what they were saying, but...the more I think about it, the more I realize they're not wrong. :-\ Fortunately for us, it's literally just a matter of me checking off the setting to deactivate it, and then when it finally gets to be more active, hopefully, we'll be able to turn it back on. Ideally, it wouldn't be deactivated for very long, but...that's largely dependent on the members that we have.

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
I like the stream and use it to get an overview of what had happened since i last visited the forums. It's rather good in that regard (i've never really used the 'new posts' feature on any forum, don't know why).

If it does not have any running costs i see no reason to disable it, after all it can be minized. Or would it be possible to have it tied to a user setting? So people who want it can enable it and others who don't want to see it, can disable it.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 21,196

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
If it does not have any running costs i see no reason to disable it, after all it can be minized. Or would it be possible to have it tied to a user setting? So people who want it can enable it and others who don't want to see it, can disable it.

You mean minimized? o.O :P I didn't even realize that minimizing it was possible. @Ahryantah did you know that?

Unfortunately, not. It's just a setting that I check off or uncheck to activate/deactivate it. There's nothing user specific for it. :-\

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »
I still am very torn on it, though, even with the fact that you can choose to minimize it. Like I said, I had multiple people telling me (on a forum specifically for forum administrators) to get rid of the stream altogether because we're not active enough to keep it. The only way we could really justify it is if everyone starts being way more active and posts/responds more and participates in the challenges, etc etc...but a lot of that is dependent on the members being willing to actually put the effort in to help push us in the right direction so we're not struggling as much in those areas.

On the one hand, we could just say screw it and keep it, allow people to minimize it as wanted, even though it's kind of showcasing the lower activity because there aren't a ton of topics being posted/replied to...on the other, we could temporarily deactivate it until we're finally active enough to be able to justify it- meaning, there would be constant topics showing up in it on a daily basis. Right now, that's not really the case.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:36:43 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
I'm not seeing a way to minimize it.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:29 PM »
I'm not seeing a way to minimize it.

Click the circled square thingy and you'll get this:

Let me know if you don't see it- it may be a permissions thing, though I doubt it.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 05:20:30 AM »
No way of minimising it for me either, it must be an admin thing