• 18 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Help me choose some character names!
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:24 AM »
I'm currently debating between a few character names and would love some feedback on what ones you guys like.

Fairy Queen
Right now her name is Jensira, but now I'm debating between that and Jasira. She's the same queen that I wrote about in my September writing challenge entry. I'm leaning more towards Jasira now. She's the queen of the eastern fairy court.

Queen's twin brother
I'm trying to decide between a few names for a character. He's a prince/king, eventually nicknamed the Stone Prince/King due to an unfortunate incident coming into contact with a world created thorn that turns people into stone figures (basically) and the poison from the thorn not being fully extracted from his body in enough time to save him from his hand or foot (haven't decided yet) being turned into stone. He's the twin brother of one of my viewpoint characters, whose name is Jensira, and they're fairies. Here are the choices:
  • Jarek
  • Jaras
  • Cade

It was pointed out to me that Jarek sounds similar to Merek, which is one of the main characters in Storms of Magic, buuut...Jarek also means "stone," and I actually have things planned that will work out with that meaning.

I haven't decided which court he's the king of yet. (So basically, there's either four or five total fairy courts, and all of the siblings from the same family rule each one.)

Those are the only ones I'm trying to decide between so far at the moment, but I may come back with more.

What ones do you like?
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
Re: Help me choose some character names!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:53:40 AM »
I like Jasira, mostly cause it's easier to say. If that's what you go with, I like Jaras, much less in comparison, cause they sound too similar and would confuse me out loud. But I'm not fond of Jarek, just cause I don't like the sound of it. Merek is good cause the sound is fine, but Jarek has to ring to it. Just a dull klunk off the tongue. Jasira and Cade could ring well...
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:08:09 AM »
Personally, I like the ring of Jasira and Jaras. To me, that sounds like their parents named them that way deliberately. That's the combination that rings for me.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
I like Jasira, mostly cause it's easier to say. If that's what you go with, I like Jaras, much less in comparison, cause they sound too similar and would confuse me out loud. But I'm not fond of Jarek, just cause I don't like the sound of it. Merek is good cause the sound is fine, but Jarek has to ring to it. Just a dull klunk off the tongue. Jasira and Cade could ring well...

Yeah, I think Jasira is easier, too.

Mm, I can kind of see what you mean by being too similar when said out loud. I think Jarek has a better ring to it than Jaras does, especially when said with Jasira. I wish I could use Merek but I already used it in Storms of Magic. >.>

I also like Jasira and Cade. Gah, I can't decide!

Personally, I like the ring of Jasira and Jaras. To me, that sounds like their parents named them that way deliberately. That's the combination that rings for me.

Well they are twins, so that would be likely. :P but I'm not sure that they sound as good when said out loud, like @JayLee said. I'm definitely keeping Jasira, it's just the brother's name I'm having trouble with.

I guess one good thing with giving him the name Cade is that it wouldn't make it obvious that they're twins just from their names alone.

True Neutral

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
I was saying it out loud. I thought it sounded better. Personal opinion. "Jarek" was the more stumbling of the two for me, and..."Cade..." I'm just not a fan, but that might be more to do with Gage, Cage, Cadence...other names.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
I was saying it out loud. I thought it sounded better. Personal opinion. "Jarek" was the more stumbling of the two for me, and..."Cade..." I'm just not a fan, but that might be more to do with Gage, Cage, Cadence...other names.

To be entirely fair, I didn't mention it but originally I was thinking Cade would be a nickname for Caderyn, until a friend of mine said that Caderyn didn't really sound like a masculine name, which is why I just went with Cade as a possible name instead when giving the choices.

I dunno, I'm still trying to decide.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »
Here are some other possible names:

• Jalen (also possibly spelled as Jalon)
  • Jaden (sticking this in here for the heck of it but it was the name of a character in an old role play I did, though it was my role play partner's character, so that's part of why I'm throwing it in there)
  • Cathal (this is actually the name of one of my favorite characters in a book series, but it's Irish Gaelic and would fit the character based on the meaning on the site I'm looking at for names)
  • Cathan

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
Two more possible names: Callhan and Callon, though I'm leaning more towards Callon, I THINK.

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
Personally, I like Jasira and Jaras. I think they sound good together. Though I can see the argument that the names may look too similar on the page. Names that are too similar can be confusing and frustrating to the reader. Of the other options you've listed, I think I like Cade best.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
Jasira is a very cool name.  I'd definitely stick with that one.

I like Cade but I've seen it used a few times so you might want to avoid it.  Maria V Snyder had a Kade (great character, btw).  I've also seen Cayde as a character name. 

Jaden reminds me of Will Smith's son.  Need I say more?

Jalen or Jalon are fine.  You could also use a variation like Jaelen. 

Cathal and Cathan are great names too.  I've used Gaelic names for some of my Virian characters.

I love the name Gadreel too.  (One of the angels in Supernatural had that name so I don't know if it's copyrighted to the show.  You'd have to check that out before using it).   

The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
Personally, I like Jasira and Jaras. I think they sound good together. Though I can see the argument that the names may look too similar on the page. Names that are too similar can be confusing and frustrating to the reader. Of the other options you've listed, I think I like Cade best.

Hm. See now I'm debating because of what @Xanxa said about the name Cade.  :-\ I think that as much as I like Jaras, I'm probably better off not using that one, too, because of the names being so similar.

Jasira is a very cool name.  I'd definitely stick with that one.

I like Cade but I've seen it used a few times so you might want to avoid it.  Maria V Snyder had a Kade (great character, btw).  I've also seen Cayde as a character name. 

Jaden reminds me of Will Smith's son.  Need I say more?

Jalen or Jalon are fine.  You could also use a variation like Jaelen. 

Cathal and Cathan are great names too.  I've used Gaelic names for some of my Virian characters.

I love the name Gadreel too.  (One of the angels in Supernatural had that name so I don't know if it's copyrighted to the show.  You'd have to check that out before using it).   

I mean, I don't personally see anything wrong with using the name Cade just because it's been used a few times by other authors. Names can't really be copyrighted, there are just certain names where it's better to avoid using them because of their association to already written, popular characters (i.e. Katniss, Leia, Hermione, Daenerys, Arya, etc).

Same goes with the names of kids belonging to celebrities. Being reminded of them shouldn't be a reason to not use them.

Jaelen has a nice ring to it, and I think I like it a little better than Jalon.

I love Cathal and Cathan, but like I said Cathal is one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite book series, so...I dunno. It's tempting but I'm leaning towards not using it, 'cause it would probably remind me too much of that character. I don't mind Cathan so much.

Gadreel...I mean, it looks like he's actually from the Bible? But given the popularity of the character and Supernatural, as much as I like that name, I'm definitely way better off staying away from that name.

The plus side of having multiple names to choose from: I can use the rest of the names for other characters.

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
I mean, I don't personally see anything wrong with using the name Cade just because it's been used a few times by other authors. Names can't really be copyrighted, there are just certain names where it's better to avoid using them because of their association to already written, popular characters (i.e. Katniss, Leia, Hermione, Daenerys, Arya, etc).
Agreed. Also, I wouldn't say Cade is associated with any character actually imortant/mainstream enough to worry about. But what about Kaden? (I had a friend named Kaden, and a sister named Jaden, my early childhood was a load of confusion and fun.)
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »
Agreed. Also, I wouldn't say Cade is associated with any character actually imortant/mainstream enough to worry about. But what about Kaden? (I had a friend named Kaden, and a sister named Jaden, my early childhood was a load of confusion and fun.)

Hm. I'm not sure that I really like it with a K. For some reason, I lean more towards it being spelled with a C.

Gah. It should NOT be this hard to choose a name for one character. :P

I like the name Callon, which was suggested to me in a Facebook group, but then I just realized that Alana's little brother's name is Caulen, so it might be too similar to that? I don't think Caulen is going to be in the story very much at all, but he'll definitely probably be mentioned, and Jasira's brother is definitely going to be in it a lot.

Skip that. One person already said they would notice the similarities as a reader and it would probably confuse them to the point where they'd have to reference it, so that name is automatically out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:30:53 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 11:48:23 PM »
So apparently there's a character (who's also a prince) in the book The Red Queen's War named Jalan Kendeth and "while the spelling is different, some people may take this the wrong way. Jalan = Djalen <> Jaelen = Djeilen - almost identical." I'm not really sure that I follow the similarities that this person is giving, and I've never even HEARD of this book until now, but apparently it should be enough for me to not use the name Jaelen.

I'm honestly narrowing it down to Caden and Cathan now.

SecretRock

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
I personally prefer Caden, though it sounds a little too modern for fairies. Cathan sounds more mystical and better for a fairy King. A little research shows they both have about the same meaning, so I'd go for the one that sounds more like magic and less like parents looking for a unique name.