Two more beta readers/alpha readers (whatever term you wanna use) needed!

• 9 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
So'm...I'm working on revising Storms of Magic.

Which means that I'm close to being able to send it to beta/alpha readers (whatever term you wanna use in this specific case. I'm going through and making notes and such and then I'll be ready to send it off), which I'll be doing for the very first time ever. :O

I'm going to fill out the form below just for "official" purposes, but I also have a few other things to say.

I already have one person willing to read it, which is @Ahryantah. I'm looking for at least two more people (so three total) to start off with for the initial reading of the first draft. This is my baby, and it's the first time I've actually finished

Author name: Ally/Jedi Knight Muse
Title of the story you want read: Storms of Magic (it really needs a better title, though)
Rating: Um...I dunno, I guess it's somewhere between being rated G and PG? There's really nothing major that happens in at the moment.
Genre: I guess high fantasy? There's lots and of magic involved (or at least, that's the eventual intention, but there's not tooons of it in this draft) and it takes place in a medieval inspired setting.
Summary (if applicable): I'm terrible at writing summaries, but this is something I attempted to write as a summary a while ago and it...more or less does the job.

He had one job: protect the queen.

That all changed for Arris Galleron the day Cressida, Queen of Illyria, visited Sephron, King of Alahan, and Arris found himself accused of murdering the King's councilman and sentenced to execution within the blink of an eye. His best friend, court mage* Merek Andossian, finds out what has happened and, willing to do anything to save his friend's life, helps to break Arris out of prison and send him into hiding until Merek can find the evidence to prove Arris' innocence.

While Merek searches for clues to lead him to the true murderer, Arris travels across the sea to Tethra, where he meets up with the (name for group of rebels?), a group of rebels who plan to rebel against the Lamirill, the authority on magic in Tethra.

Insert something here about Cressida? And fairies and Arris's connection to them? And blaaaargh I'm terrible at these things.

*in the draft, Merek is a guardsman as well, but I'm changing Merek to being a court mage 'cause it makes more sense for him.

Basically there's humans and fairies and royalty and magic and family and...yeah. XD

Word count: the total is 22,280 words, with eleven chapters (so, yeah, it's...considerably short right now). I'd be sending the entire thing to you (not all at once unless you wanted it that way, but you'd end up reading the entire thing instead of just a few chapters and that's it). The chapters aren't terribly long, though. Some are shorter than others but they're not crazy long.
---------

Okay, so here's what I would need to know from anyone who's interested in reading it and giving me their feedback (including @Ahryantah ) :

Code: [Select]
[b]What's easier for you when beta reading/giving feedback- doing it in a Google doc or in a Word doc?[/b]
[b]Would you prefer each chapter be in separate documents (i.e. chapter one in one document and chapter two in an entirely separate document from chapter one) or all in one document?[/b]
[b]How many chapters at a time do you want to be sent?[/b]

I THINK that's it.

Basically, there are certain things that I have questions about and want opinions on (in addition to normal beta/alpha reading stuff- grammar/spelling, show don't tell, characterization, whether or not things make sense plot-wise/character-wise/world-building-wise, what your overall thoughts on the story are, whether or not you think there's any potential for plot expansion (since, you know, it is only 22k and I think it could be a lot longer) etc, so my thought is that if I have each individual chapter in separate documents, I'd put my notes/questions at the top of each chapter for you to read/keep in mind.

Also, when I've tried printing the "comments/notes" for a Google or Word doc out before it's usually given me trouble (i.e. cutting some of it off), so I'd prefer it if whatever notes you make are made in the actual document itself, in a different color font. (I mean, I guess we could try it with the comments/notes/whatever in a Word doc, but I'm 99% positive it usually gets cut off when I try to print it, especially with Google docs, so I'd rather have it in the document itself.)

Is anyone else interested in beta/alpha reading it? Like I said, I'm hoping for two more people to start off, and then after I get through this round of getting feedback and fixing things, I'll ask for one or two more people in addition to the others to read it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:04:16 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Two more beta readers/alpha readers (whatever term you wanna use) needed!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
That moment when you realize you apparently only have eleven chapters of a first draft written and not thirteen 'cause you mislabeled the chapters in the Word doc. Ooops!

That's two less chapters that need to be beta'd at least. :P

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »
What's easier for you when beta reading/giving feedback- doing it in a Google doc or in a Word doc? Whatever works best for you, but I guess Google docs so I can just do it online.
Would you prefer each chapter be in separate documents (i.e. chapter one in one document and chapter two in an entirely separate document from chapter one) or all in one document? I have no preference. Whichever you want.
How many chapters at a time do you want to be sent? Again, whatever you want. If you do Google docs you could just stick them all in a folder (in separate documents or not). Or you could post them on a schedule or something, like one chapter a week. I don't really care.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
What's easier for you when beta reading/giving feedback- doing it in a Google doc or in a Word doc? Whatever works best for you, but I guess Google docs so I can just do it online.
Would you prefer each chapter be in separate documents (i.e. chapter one in one document and chapter two in an entirely separate document from chapter one) or all in one document? I have no preference. Whichever you want.
How many chapters at a time do you want to be sent? Again, whatever you want. If you do Google docs you could just stick them all in a folder (in separate documents or not). Or you could post them on a schedule or something, like one chapter a week. I don't really care.

I literally just PM'd you to let you know that I have the chapters baaaasically ready to send off to you. XD I'm going through and adding in my notes/questions right now but then I have them all in a folder so once I finish adding in my notes/questions I'll get it sent to you.

Manu

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
I could give it a try, if you'd like. I'm not a native English speaker though, so I'm likely to miss some language issues, and I won't have time before December (doing NaNo right now). Let me know if that works for you, and I'll fill in the form.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
I could give it a try, if you'd like. I'm not a native English speaker though, so I'm likely to miss some language issues, and I won't have time before December (doing NaNo right now). Let me know if that works for you, and I'll fill in the form.

Sure, that's fine. :) I sent everything to Ahryantah last night so by the time December comes, I'll hopefully have made at least some of whatever changes I probably need to make and can send them to you once I do that.

Now I'm just hoping for at least one more person! :D

Manu

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »
Alright :)

What's easier for you when beta reading/giving feedback- doing it in a Google doc or in a Word doc? I use Open Office instead of Microsoft Office, but since you want the comments in the text anyway, I think there shouldn't be any severe compatibility problems. Google Docs also works for me. So I guess just send it to me in whatever format you are working with anyway.
Would you prefer each chapter be in separate documents (i.e. chapter one in one document and chapter two in an entirely separate document from chapter one) or all in one document? I don't really mind, but I see advantages for seperate documents - I can mark a chapter as finished and you can start working on it while I'm still reviewing the others.
How many chapters at a time do you want to be sent? I don't really mind. If you are done with the first round of revisions in December, feel free to send all of them at once. If you're still working on revisions, you could send me the chapters one by one when you have finished them.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
Sounds good! :D

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »
Alright... I honestly can't think of a reason not to at the moment, except that I would like to give you a warning if I do volunteer. Around this time of year, I tend to start picking up clients, so if I don't get it done real quick, I could slow down quite a bit. It's up to you.

What's easier for you when beta reading/giving feedback- doing it in a Google doc or in a Word doc? Word doc is usually preferred. Then I don't have to be online to do it.
Would you prefer each chapter be in separate documents (i.e. chapter one in one document and chapter two in an entirely separate document from chapter one) or all in one document? Best thing for me is whole thing at once. I like to read through everything before I even begin leaving feedback.

I do not do much in the way of correcting grammar, forewarning.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Alright... I honestly can't think of a reason not to at the moment, except that I would like to give you a warning if I do volunteer. Around this time of year, I tend to start picking up clients, so if I don't get it done real quick, I could slow down quite a bit. It's up to you.

What's easier for you when beta reading/giving feedback- doing it in a Google doc or in a Word doc? Word doc is usually preferred. Then I don't have to be online to do it.
Would you prefer each chapter be in separate documents (i.e. chapter one in one document and chapter two in an entirely separate document from chapter one) or all in one document? Best thing for me is whole thing at once. I like to read through everything before I even begin leaving feedback.

I do not do much in the way of correcting grammar, forewarning.

Oh yay! I was hoping that you'd end up wanting to do it. (Although the fact that editing is, like, a thing you do a lot for other people kinda has me going a little O.O in a sort of intimidated/scared/DON'T TELL ME THAT MY BABY SUCKS kind of way, buuuut that's mostly because I've never shown ANYONE a completed novel draft before because I've never actually really gotten to this point before, so it's just general intimidation.)

That's totally fine, since I already have Ahryantah and now Manu willing to look at it, too. I figured that if I found at least three people to start off with to look at it, they'd all have different schedules which would allow me to send them the draft and then I'd have time to look at the notes that one sends and make my changes based on those in between that and sending it to the next person and sending it to the first person and....yeah. I don't even know if I'm doing it the "right" or easiest way, but..we'll see. XD Basically, it's fine if you end up slowing down a bit.

I'll get it all into a Word document for you either tonight or tomorrow and send it off in an e-mail if now's good for me to send it to you. I have notes/general thoughts/questions at the beginning of...I think all of the chapters in the Google documents for Ahryantah, so I'll have to think of the best way for me to give you those notes so that it's easy for you to reference them for each chapter.

Not doing much with the grammar is totally fine.