December 2017 Writing Challenge

• 18 Replies

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
  • Beta Reading Profile: Available, but not a native speaker.
December 2017 Writing Challenge
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
Ok, I hope I'm doing this right, let me know if I'm not :)
I've been procrastinating my current project for two days now by editing this and I doubt it'll get any better, so I'll simply submit it now to get it out of the way.

Author: Manu
Title: uhm... the working title of the novel project is "The scorpion's shadow", this excerpt doesn't really have a title
Word count: 2599 according to Open Office
Summary: Young driftwood collector Ghida spots a stranger at the shore of the small island she lives on, and decides to find out more about him.
Challenge #: December 2017
Prompt(s): Natural elements (ocean)
Notes: This is from my NaNo 2016 project, the novel is written in Icchu's POV so far, and I plan to add Ghida's POV later. So here's a scene from her POV, in the original draft this scene is found in the second chapter and it's Icchu's call to adventure. I wrote the very first scene for an online writing course a while ago, and added the rest these days.
(Optional) Google docs link:
Do you want feedback after voting ends? Sure :)

I'm writing in Open Office, so I'm attaching the original .odt file and a pdf in case the .doc file ends up with weird formatting.

Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:32:44 AM by Manu »
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

katfireblade

• Expert
  • Probably bad for you
    • View Profile
Re: December 2017 Writing Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
All right, Figure I can give this a go.

Author: Kat Fireblade
Title: Currently no working title, but it is saved under "The Wingless Woman."
Word count: 4569
Summary: Death came in the night for the small town where Harold and his three girls live, and it left something in the pond. Secrets start to come unraveled as Harold faces down the danger.
Challenge #: December 2017
Prompt(s): Natural elements (pond)
Notes: Yes, this is either a large pond or a small lake. If I had to guess, it's a natural body of water that has since been altered by the humans that settled around it. You'll find some modern attitudes and town elements that seem to come from the late 1800s to early 1900s mixed with distinctly medieval elements like the use of swords and horses. This is deliberate, as social progress marched forward pretty normally but technological progress did not.

Link to story: Click me!

Do you want feedback after voting ends? Yes please!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:22:14 PM by katfireblade »

kendoist

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
Author: kendoist
Title: When the River Flows
Word Count: 4764
Summary: This is a story about a daughter of Ninja, Saki and Shota who was forced to turn into Tengu.
Challenge#: December 2017
Prompts(s): Natural Elements (river)
Notes: The idea just popped in my mind while writing a story of Harry Potter fanfiction, Next Generation, Scorpius Malfoy, Rose Weasley and Albus Potter. Then I noticed the episode about water demon, Kappa, Ninja and Tengu I created in the story, should be separated as an original fantasy fiction. So Iíll submit this. I hope youíll enjoy my story.

Link to Story: When the River Flows

kendoist

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
oops, I forgot adding this above ^

Do you want feedback after voting ends?: Yes, please.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »

Ooh yay, I'm glad you submitted something!

Please note that you'll have to make it so that the Google doc can receive comments when the time comes for feedback. Right now it's just "view only."
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »

Edited my post to add this, too. @Jedi Knight Muse, can you add the question to the submission form?
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

Edited my post to add this, too. @Jedi Knight Muse, can you add the question to the submission form?
Done.

kendoist

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »
Please note that you'll have to make it so that the Google doc can receive comments when the time comes for feedback. Right now it's just "view only."

Thank you for letting me know that ^.  I edited some and made it open for leaving comments.   :)

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
How does getting feedback work? Do we have to repost our submissions to the library, or will a staff member move this topic over to the other section?
Beta-reading profile

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:27:34 PM »
How does getting feedback work? Do we have to repost our submissions to the library, or will a staff member move this topic over to the other section?

Hm. My thought was that we'd move the topic over to the other section, and then you could bump it and be like "hey, gimme feedback!"? That's probably the easiest thing to do, I'd think?

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 06:08:04 AM »
I also thought that would be the easiest way at first, but then realized that it will break the links pointing here (or are these updated automatically if you move a thread?). And it could become a huge and confusing thread if there is feedback for three different submissions and the writers' answers to the feedback all mingled together, hence the question. I don't mind digging through a huge thread and I don't mind reposting either, just let me know which one :)
If moving is what you want to do, I'd like to suggest that each submission for future challenges should go into its own thread, that's easier for feedback once it's moved to the library.
Beta-reading profile

katfireblade

• Expert
  • Probably bad for you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:29:11 AM »
Maybe it'd be okay to break the challenge threads? I mean, they served their purpose. Don't they kind of get shunted to Archives anyway?

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
I also thought that would be the easiest way at first, but then realized that it will break the links pointing here (or are these updated automatically if you move a thread?). And it could become a huge and confusing thread if there is feedback for three different submissions and the writers' answers to the feedback all mingled together, hence the question. I don't mind digging through a huge thread and I don't mind reposting either, just let me know which one :)
If moving is what you want to do, I'd like to suggest that each submission for future challenges should go into its own thread, that's easier for feedback once it's moved to the library.

They don't break the links at all :P.

Well, to be entirely fair, I don't think I explained this clearly, but the submissions were never all supposed to go into the same thread like they have been. I think things got screwed up because we were still semi-using the same system from when we had the old library, but it doesn't really work any more. When we had the old library, we just had people reply to the challenge information post with the information and links to their submissions, because all of the submissions were directly in the old library. But now, because we're allowing people to upload Word docs with their submissions, it's not as simple because not everyone is using Google docs and it's just...a little more complicated.

Basically, I think what I was thinking was each individual author would create a thread with their submission for a challenge and post it in this section, and then respond to the post with the information for the challenge (meaning this one, for the January challenge with a link to their submission that's in the section I linked above. That way, each submission would have its individual thread and when the challenge is over, they either get moved into the submissions archive if someone doesn't want any kind of feedback on their submission or they get moved into the appropriate section of the library and the author can ask for feedback. Plus, I think it's easier/more organized to have all of the individual submissions in separate threads that each author starts rather than all in one.

It sounds complicated, but theoretically it shouldn't be that hard. I'm not sure how else we could really do it, though, since we're keeping the challenge submissions separate from the main library until after a challenge ends and they can be moved. The goal is to not confuse people (although I think that was already happening :P ) and to keep it as simple as possible.

Eventually it won't matter 'cause we'll have the Libraium, but...in the meantime, if you guys have suggestions for an easier way to do it, I'm open to them.

Maybe it'd be okay to break the challenge threads? I mean, they served their purpose. Don't they kind of get shunted to Archives anyway?

I'm not sure what you mean by "breaking" them. Do you mean "split"? Are you talking about the threads like this one?

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
That makes a lot of sense! Can you split the topic then and move it? Sorry for the inconveniences  ;D
Beta-reading profile

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »
That makes a lot of sense! Can you split the topic then and move it? Sorry for the inconveniences  ;D

Mm, it depends on what it would look like AS a split topic. I have a feeling splitting the topic is probably not going to be the best way to do it, 'cause I think it'll put "re: December 2017 writing challenge" for example as the title, and not the title of the submission. So basically we're better off with individual submissions with each author posting them in that section.