POV/tense

• 20 Replies

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: POV/tense
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »
Personally, I find third limited very jarring as a reader, so I don't do it as a writer, at least when it's third limited with multiple PoV. I absolutely HATE third limited for this reason. I get a form of mental whiplash that actually yanks me out of the story when the narrator is changed. I'm all engaged and then, suddenly...slam the brake and take a sharp turn in some other direction. It's kind of like when you're doing something that requires concentration, and then the phone rings, and even though it's not anything important, you can't get back into what you're doing. That's what third limited switching narrators does to me. That has a tendency to make me put a book down and not come back to it. I'm generally OK with first person narration because it usually sticks to just one narrator, but third limited has a tendency to switch around, and that drives me bonkers as a reader. (My favorite first-person narration is in Sherlock Holmes. The main character doesn't narrate most of the stories, rather, the sidekick does. There are, if I recall correctly, only four short stories where Sherlock narrates, and all four novels and the other 52 short stories are narrated by Watson.)

Both first-person and third limited are typically too feelings-oriented for me, though. I like it action-driven, not feelings-driven. I'm one of those weird people who absolutely ADORES third omniscient past. I'm more about action than feelings, so I prefer to have that distance between the narration and the characters. It also zooms into the foreground and back out again without the jarring abrupt stop between narrators. I don't find this confusing at all, rather I find the alternative to pull me out of the story. Because it's what I like to read, it's also what I like to write. Even given the choice between third limited with only one narrator and third omniscient, I'll choose omniscient because it tends to be less feelings-driven. Yes, the common complaint that it's impersonal is valid, but that's precisely why I like it.

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
I've done first-person before, but usually I go for third-person limited or third-person omniscient. Of the latter two, I think I prefer omniscient because I like to describe what my protagonists look like, which is something you're not supposed to do with the "limited" point of view (at least according to current conventional wisdom).
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »
I've done first-person before, but usually I go for third-person limited or third-person omniscient. Of the latter two, I think I prefer omniscient because I like to describe what my protagonists look like, which is something you're not supposed to do with the "limited" point of view (at least according to current conventional wisdom).
May I just say... Screw current conventional wisdom.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »

That's one of my pet hates, being told that it doesn't matter what your characters look like, that readers don't care.  When I'm reading for pleasure, I like to visualise the characters I'm reading about.  To me, having no character description would make it harder to engage with the characters and feel sympathy, loathing or any kind of emotion for them.  It would be the literary equivalent of those blurred out people in crime reconstructions or Google street view photos.  I prefer at least a height and build description, maybe hair length and colour, basic type of clothing worn, like whether casually or formally dressed. 

I go for third person, past tense, mostly omniscient but switching to limited for certain scenes to bring the reader in closer. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Rowena Shepard

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 12:25:30 AM »
Close/Limited Third Person Past:  it's fine, but I prefer if there are more than one POV characters. Having just one means you miss out on a lot of stuff.

Omniscient Third Person Past:  I spent my teen years devouring 19th century (and earlier) lit, so this is the default for me and I still like it. I think if you cut out the flaws - like the narrator rambling about irrelevant stuff - and focus on the actual plot, it can still work very well.

First Person Past: tolerable, but I'm not a fan - again, too many things the narrator can't witness. Case in point: even Moby Dick has scenes where Ishmael isn't present and breaks POV. Works nicer is it's an epistolary novel with multiple people (but who does that anymore?).

Second Person Past: this is a thing?

Close/Limited Third Person Present: I hate present tense so no

Omniscient Third Person Present: never met this

First Person Present:  I want to personally murder this POV and every boring YA book that uses it

Second Person Present: is there ANY example of this other than Calvino (great) or choose-your-own-adventure books?

JayLee

• Master
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:27 AM »
Second Person Past: this is a thing?
Alas... yes. Not only does it have the naturally jarring and cumbersome feel of a fully 2nd POV... it takes "you" out of the "you" by saying you've already done it. Hehe... obviously not such a big fan here :P

Omniscient Third Person Present: never met this

I'm pretty sure I know one. The "Runics" series by Jeff Kish. I am almost certain that's third person, present tense, and omniscient. Magic! Man though, it's usually such a rough choice, I was amazed by how easily and deeply I was immersed in the writing.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/