• 12 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
How many of us are published?
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
So, I went to a writer's group meeting tonight! I was a member of this group in my town, like ten years ago, for a few months and then I ended up not going to the meetings any more. Long story short, I found out through @WriterDave when the next meeting was, which was tonight, and I was given the opportunity to talk about Worldsmyths, which was awesome!

One of the questions that I was asked- and I wasn't sure about the answer to- was how many members are published?

"Published' could mean anything- in an anthology, a magazine, a novel, whatever.

For me...um...

...I've written articles for school newspapers? Lol. And I wrote an article for another forum for fantasy writers I'm a (lurking) member of for their site's blog.

I really need to try and find something to submit a story to (besides forums). >.>
NaNoWriMo 2018

JayLee

• Master
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
Re: How many of us are published?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »
So, I went to a writer's group meeting tonight!
Oh you lucky duck. But I am jealous :P I can't find any writer's groups around where I live and I have been missing them terribly since my last one in high school.
Somebody in this town be a writers group with me, durnit!!

I suppose I'm technically published a number of places... college level literary magazines have a few of my works. Read Magazine has another. The journal of optics another with my name on it (ah, the joys of scientific articles). But, seeing as I'm a novelist (primarily) and all I have published are poems, short stories, and jargon no one with a standard mind would read for fun.... I have a lot of trouble considering myself published. I've even been paid for it, and I don't quite buy it yet :P
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:11:56 AM »
These are the novels I have already published. Another one is coming in March.

The one in one volume is about the Viking Era. Its title can be translated into English as "The Wanderers of the Sea". It happens around 1050, when the Vikings still stormed the seas and attacked monasteries. My character is taken from a Venetian monastery and brought as a slave to a little islet in the now Norwegian fjords. Then she gets freed by the heir of her initial master, and chooses to follow the bannished jarl in their quest for a new homeland. Tricked by a storm, they get that new homeland in Southern Mexico... (And yes, this is based on a historical theory - one of the many - according to which, Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec god described as blonde and bearded, whose return they were waiting for when the Conquistadors appeared, was Viking. According to another, he was fenician. In my story, he was obviously Viking).

The one in two volumes is about the Napoleonic Era. Its title can be translated into English as "Lives in Turmoil", with the first volume titled "Bloodied lands" and the second one "The New World", as my characters, disappointed by Napoleon appointing himself First Consul and seeing it as a first step towards dictature, emigrate to US, "the only republic who has kept the Jacobine ideals of liberty, equality, fraternity". There they go West up to Mississippi, and settle somewhere on Mississippi across St. Louis, witness the Louisiana Purchase, befriend a Cherokee village somewhere down South on Marais des Cygnes river and get themselves a new life.

This will have a third volume follow-up, titled "Other Turmoils of Life", but I have still 6-7 chapters to write... It will appear towards the summer too.

(I have professional publications too, but these don't count here, these are for project management mostly. And I was published with poetry in the school magazines centuries ago).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:14:16 AM by Elena »

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:51:36 AM »
I have 2 lines of writing in an art magazine, and a short story online. Want to submit the short story to other places this year though.

WriterDave

• Journeyman
  • Magic with a Little Science
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
how many members are published?
Thanks so much for your presentation and for reading some of your work. You might be interested to know that only about a third of the people who attend The Write Stuff regularly are interested in publishing with commercial publishers or through indie sources like CreateSpace and Kindle Direct. Most just write for the love of it.

For some there is something satisfying about completing a novel, having it edited, printing it and getting reactions to the story.  I've used Amazon to do that once.  I have another in the final editing stage, and  one more in the crummy first draft stage. My first cyberpunk novel (the closest thing to fantasy that I write) is almost ready for final editing and that will be indie published too. 

I hope that the two fantasy writers in our group will end up on Worldsmyths.

WriterDave

• Journeyman
  • Magic with a Little Science
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
The group I'm in was started when the two organizers took an add in the local newspaper, reserved a room in the library, and launched a group that has lasted two decades. Good luck starting yours.

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
Yeah, I have some stuff published in high school and college literary magazines, and at least one short story in a zine from back in the old AOL days (I submitted a second one, but my family lost our AOL account for dumb and convoluted reasons, so I have no idea if that one was ever accepted to the zine). And I've written/contributed to some scientific papers in journals. But I kind of don't consider any of that "published."
Unusual Florida: A Web Serial | Chapter Index

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »
So, I went to a writer's group meeting tonight!
Oh you lucky duck. But I am jealous :P I can't find any writer's groups around where I live and I have been missing them terribly since my last one in high school.

But if you join your own in person writers group or start your own, you won't have as much time to dedicate to being heeeeere! :P

Nah, I don't blame you for wanting an in person group. XD

how many members are published?
Thanks so much for your presentation and for reading some of your work. You might be interested to know that only about a third of the people who attend The Write Stuff regularly are interested in publishing with commercial publishers or through indie sources like CreateSpace and Kindle Direct. Most just write for the love of it.

For some there is something satisfying about completing a novel, having it edited, printing it and getting reactions to the story.  I've used Amazon to do that once.  I have another in the final editing stage, and  one more in the crummy first draft stage. My first cyberpunk novel (the closest thing to fantasy that I write) is almost ready for final editing and that will be indie published too. 

I hope that the two fantasy writers in our group will end up on Worldsmyths.

You're welcome!

Ooh, I might have to eventually have a chat with you about indie publishing, because I haven't done a ton of research on it but I think I'm leaning towards that for my main project, but mainly with Createspace and mainly with using it to print as much of a finalized version of it as I can so that I can use them as Christmas presents, hopefully this coming year. But even then, I guess that wouldn't be actual publishing 'cause I wouldn't be putting it up on Amazon since it's almost doubtful it'd be a finalized version at that point.

The group I'm in was started when the two organizers took an add in the local newspaper, reserved a room in the library, and launched a group that has lasted two decades. Good luck starting yours.
I'm like...99% sure this is how I found out about the group to begin with! I think I was checking the jobs/ads section of the Rivereast paper and it was in that section.
NaNoWriMo 2018

JayLee

• Master
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:20:59 PM »
But if you join your own in person writers group or start your own, you won't have as much time to dedicate to being heeeeere!
Ah, don't worry. I spend all my brief breaks here. You'll have to use some pretty heavy duty pesticides to get rid of this pest!

Indie publishing is definitely an interesting field. We should see if we can add a resource thread to the resources thread on people's experiences with it :)
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
But if you join your own in person writers group or start your own, you won't have as much time to dedicate to being heeeeere!
Ah, don't worry. I spend all my brief breaks here. You'll have to use some pretty heavy duty pesticides to get rid of this pest!

Indie publishing is definitely an interesting field. We should see if we can add a resource thread to the resources thread on people's experiences with it :)

Haha, well that makes me feel good! :D Though I was mostly kidding when I said that. :P

Yes! I like that idea! Feel free to be the one to post it, 'cause I know nothing about it Jon Snow. :P
NaNoWriMo 2018

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
I have had letters and a couple of articles published in magazines, and also short stories and/or poetry in 4 different anthologies.

Rohierim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »
I'll have four novels out by the end of 2018. Two will be republications for novels that came out in 2015 and 2016 and two will be new this year. Hoping to have another four done and ready for 2019 as well.

Roh

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 04:37:09 AM »
I got to hold them in my arms today! (And broke my back with carrying the boxes) :)

Its title can be translated into English as "Rightness' Friends" (yes, I think rightness. Justice has a different connotation and it isn't the right choice). It is also in 2 volumes, but no separate parts like for "Lives in turmoil", only chapters in sequence. It happens in US, Arizona, in a frontier town named Nogales, which has a twin with the same name in Mexico, just across the valley. There is no clearly mentioned year when it happens, but it is sometime 1974-1982 (with a sort of an epilogue about 8-10 years later. Last chapter, not exactly an epilogue but similar).

It is young adult, dealing with first love, jealousy, friendship, honour, but also good and bad choices, forbidden love, morals, gang wars, the high price of fame and young success (in sports and music) with the related high performance expectations and pressure which some can resist to, some can't, carreer choices, suicide and those left behind with guilt, rage and depression for having not been able to prevent it. It also explores the worlds of mariachis and of bullfighters.