Interest Check: World building and/or Brainstorming and Accountability Groups

• 15 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
So a member recently asked if there was any interest in a Discord critique group, which didn't get much interest, but an idea that spun off of that was for two other potential groups:

1. A brainstorming and world building group (thinking we could do this as a combo of the two, rather than creating three total groups?)- basically, it would be specifically for helping each other brainstorm if we're stuck on something with a plot or character or whatever, and for asking for feedback on very specific things- i.e. a specific scene, rather than an entire chapter/set of chapters.
2. An accountability group- I'm going to quote @Manu on this one since it was her idea:
A group to keep each other accountable. Could be a group, a thread on the forum, anything, really. I'm picturing it like this: We'd have a thread on the forum, or a channel in the Discord, something like that, and everyone would think about what they want to achieve during the coming week (writing x words, finishing that scene, spending x hours on editing, something like that), and we'd tell each other our goals. Aaaaand, if I procrastinate and don't write, I'll have to tell the others a week later that I didn't achieve the goal I set for myself. Simply checking in once a week, telling what our goal is, and a week later check in again, say if we reached that goal, and set a new goal for the week to come.

We could have these groups either be just on the forum or just on Discord or both, if there's any interest in it. From what I've gathered (over the nearly two years of the site being open!), most of the members we have are at different points in their writing and could use a way to get help with brainstorming/world building things and holding themselves accountable, so I think these ideas would be perfect for us! We could even go as far as doing voice chat in either or both of these groups, if people were comfortable doing so.

Is there any interest in these groups?
If so, should they be just on the forum, just on the Discord, or both? Any ideas for specific names for them?
Are you interested in one or both of these, and if so which one(s)?

Once we see how many people are interested in these groups, we'll go from there. I am more than happy to have both of these groups, but I do want to see how many people are actually interested and then we can work on adding them.
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

Rohierim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'd be interested in either of these groups. Probably more the accountability group but I could do both. For me at the moment forum based would be better. I'm not going to be setting any of my computers up for VOIP progams at the moment so Forums work best for me.

Thanks,

Roh

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
It exists and it should remain on the forum. I have appealed to it in the past.

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
  • Beta Reading Profile: Available, but not a native speaker.
I'm interested in both of them, and I agree with Elena that the forum is probably the better place for this, especially for brainstorming - in the Discord, all brainstorming goes in one channel, and it can be quite confusing, while in the forum, everyone who needs help with brainstorming can make their own thread and the answers in there are not buried as quickly.
The same holds true for a check-in thread to declare goals and report on them, I think it's better kept on the forum as the forum provides a clearer arrangement of posts.

Having an additional place for chatter would be nice, though, to ask others how it's going, to encourage and motivate each other and stuff like that. This could go either to a separate thread in the forum, or to a channel in the Discord, I think Disocrd might even work better for this?
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
It exists and it should remain on the forum. I have appealed to it in the past.
It does exist, but that's more of a generalized forum thing where people use it if they have something they're having trouble with. What I'm talking about would be a specific group of members actually focusing on brainstorming/world building and posting way more often regarding these things than right now. Though I suppose it would largely depend on the people participating in the group actually having something to post/ask about and starting topics and such more often than it happens right now. I think when I initially came up with this idea I was imagining it as being like Kat's idea with it being in Discord, but as @Manu pointed out it's probably going to be easier to have it on the forum itself rather than in the Discord, unless we figure out some kind of a combo or something.

I'm interested in both of them, and I agree with Elena that the forum is probably the better place for this, especially for brainstorming - in the Discord, all brainstorming goes in one channel, and it can be quite confusing, while in the forum, everyone who needs help with brainstorming can make their own thread and the answers in there are not buried as quickly.
The same holds true for a check-in thread to declare goals and report on them, I think it's better kept on the forum as the forum provides a clearer arrangement of posts.

Having an additional place for chatter would be nice, though, to ask others how it's going, to encourage and motivate each other and stuff like that. This could go either to a separate thread in the forum, or to a channel in the Discord, I think Disocrd might even work better for this?

Hm, you're right that everything can get lost in a Discord channel. I was originally imagining that it'd kind of be like Kat's idea, where we'd meet in Discord at least once a month or something to give each other help, or something along those lines, but...depending on what people wanted to post, it would probably be better to keep it on the forum. But yeah, we could also go into a channel on Discord for what you described.

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
I'd be especially interested in an accountability group. I agree that the forum would be the best place for it. That way everyone can read/participate on their own time.
Unusual Florida: A Web Serial | Chapter Index

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
I'd be especially interested in an accountability group. I agree that the forum would be the best place for it. That way everyone can read/participate on their own time.

There's that, too, 'cause then we don't have to rely on everyone being able to catch up on things in the discord. I like that idea.

Any ideas for the name of the accountability group? And as far as a world building/brainstorming group, do we want to have a separate forum for the actual group to post in or are we just using the current sections for those things? The one thing about those things to keep in mind is that they're guest friendly, so any details that you'd be posting would be available to guests. Otherwise you'd have to post in the help center section, since that's members only.

...it might be easier to just make a password protected section, maybe.

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
Oh, monthly meeting in a voice channel in Discord could be nice, too! (weekly would be too often, I think, but monthly is good!)

I don't really mind where the brainstorming group content goes, but please don't make it password-protected. The posts in the password-protected areas don't show up in recent unread threads (at least not for me?), and I don't really mind if other froum members can see the threads. I agree it probably shouldn't be in the guest-friendly section, but I think there's no need for password protection.
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

JayLee

• Master
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
Any ideas for the name of the accountability group?
Smyth's Guild
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Any ideas for the name of the accountability group?
Smyth's Guild
That could work!

AlexaRene

• Novice
    • View Profile
I'm down for an accountability group. I definitely agree that the forums is best for pretty much any set up. Consistency is my greatest failure and I'm actively working on getting better.  :D And people to remind me would be great.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Okay, I made a section for the accountability group. I just stuck it under "writing craft" but if there's another spot for it that you guys think would be better, let me know and I'll move it. Otherwise, feel free to start posting.

Longm12

• Novice
    • View Profile
I'd be down with both of these groups

tkz

• Novice
    • View Profile
I'd definitely be interested in a world building group, and possibly an accountability group as well.

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
The accountability group has recently started and can be found here: http://forum.worldsmyths.com/index.php?board=64.0

What about the brainstorming and worldbuilding group? Should this go into a separate section of the forum as well, or should we just use the workshop and/or worldbuilding sections we already have?
Beta-reading profile