• 25 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
What are you currently reading [2018]?
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
Last year, I started reading The Magician's Guild, but I still haven't finished reading it. Not because I don't enjoy the book! I do. I like the characters and the plot. But I haven't been as interested in reading it. So I started reading Kelly Blanchard's Someday I'll be Redeemed, which I got for Christmas, the other night and I'm about four chapters in so far (the chapters aren't particularly long) and am really enjoying it.

What are you guys reading right now?
NaNoWriMo 2018

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
Re: What are you currently reading [2018]?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
I'm excited to start reading again! I'm thinking that after I DLPT I'll reread the first two books of the series for which I got the third book as a Christmas present this year. (Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson; third book is Oathbringer.) I'll also probably try to start one of the Korean fantasy novels I bought in Korea last November to help with language maintenance, but that'll be tough and take some time to get through. (Come to think of it I'll probably finish the Korean graphic novel I started and then stopped because of the crushing weight of homework... that, then a novel.)

Rohierim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
I'm currently reading Sea of Sorrows which is a novelization of lore from the Guild Wars Franchise. Not bad so far and a little less dark than I usually read. Just finished Beyond Redemption which is probably the first book I've ever read that I can say may be too dark even for me. Not gorry, or anything like that. Just the author went a little too "anti-hero" for me. I mean there are so many definitions of anti-hero that this is the first book I've ever read where I could honestly say that just about EVERY character is bad. Everyone knows the assassin turned hero or reluctant retired soldier going to battle one more time tropes but imagine a book of evil sorcerers vs henchmen and assassins basically killing everyone and anything in their path in an attempt to hurt the other. I mean literally, all of the main characters go around killing people for pretty much no reason and by the end, you really don't care that they are all dead. Even though one has a final "redemption" moment at the very end, and by the end I mean like the last couple of pages. Very mind altering to be in the head of people who are basically there to manipulate and kill everyone around them for almost 500 pages. But I guess that was the point. Definitely, the epitome of grim-dark but honestly may have gone too far for even me.

Roh

Amblygon

• Journeyman
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
I'm finishing up A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin for the Worldsmyth's Book Club. And I'm also about to finish The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux. Got a pretty long list of fantasy books to get to once I start my holiday on Wednesday.

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
Today, the books I have to read are:

* Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

* The Land that Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs

* Cryptozoica by Mark Ellis (it's a self-published sci-fi/adventure book you can find on Amazon's Kindle Store)
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »
I just finished The Sacred Band by David Anthony Durham, the third book in what turned out to be a pretty mediocre fantasy trilogy (I was going to do a review on here, but I don't know if I want to expend any more energy on those books) and IT by Stephen King. Not sure yet what I want to read next.
Unusual Florida: A Web Serial | Chapter Index

Jen

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
I just finished Don't Skip Out On Me by Willy Vlautin which was... okay. Now I'm reading Truevine which is pretty interesting.

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Originality is hard
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:15:22 PM »
I'm reading something outside fantasy. Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig. Full of profanity, but gritty characters and interesting concept. I'm over half way listening to The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (man it's a big book!). And I'm slowly getting through Good Omens (I'm going to assume you know who wrote it, it's a classic).
My slice of the world: www.wordpress.rkcappscom.com

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 11:21:39 PM »
I'm just about halfway through Someday I'll Be Redeemed. After that I'll probably read Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Amblygon

• Journeyman
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
^ Aaah, I hope you enjoy Tigana - I really liked it! :D Let us know here when you get to it and what you think of it!

I've just blasted through book 1 and book 2 of Sarah J. Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses series. It's YA fantasy, which I haven't really read in a long time because I got all arrogant and thought that it's not "proper fantasy". A friend who loves YA kept recommending it to me and so I thought I'd give it a try and I got to eat some humble pie when I realised that I had a lot of fun reading it. The first book is a bit wishy-washy in parts and definitely is light reading, but I felt that the second book is already a lot more developed. In particular, I've liked that there are some stronger female characters and there are also male characters that support these strong female characters and don't come off as being weaklings for supporting women (and they're good examples of strong male characters in their own right I feel - obviously very handsome too but I guess that's part of the cliche of having fairies and mortals). I feel like some parts are a bit forced or cliche or worn out, but overall it's a fun, light series and I'll admit that I personally like to read some good old romance stories every now and again (and it's fantasy since it has fairies and magic!).

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:46:47 AM »
I read Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff last week, did it in about 20 hours, it's the sequel to one of my favourite books Nevernight. Loving that author so much, and his humour is awesome. Lots of grittiness, sarcasm, and I was left with a WHAT?!

I also have a pile of books to read including; Rivers of London, Mageborn, Left hand of god, blue moon rising, and I need to finish "What really happens if you get swallowed by a whale, are shot from a cannon, or go barreling over niagara... and then you are dead"

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
I am currently working on a reread of the Wheel of Time series. I've read the first ~7 many times but the last three only once each. I didn't reread the first 11 books though, I went through and read Leigh Butler's Wheel of Time reread on the Tor website, she gives good commentary on the series as she reads it, I've learned a lot. https://www.tor.com/series/wot-reread/ Here is the link.

mathgnome

• Journeyman
  • A friendly squish who likes to write
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
Nothing at the moment, but I just finished up Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy. Really good flintlock fantasy. :) I'll probably be starting in on the first two volumes of the White Sand graphic novel soon.
For glory lit and life alive,
For goals unreached and dreams to strive:
All men must try, the wind did see,
It is the test, it is the dream.

-Wit, from Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

Amblygon

• Journeyman
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 06:08:11 AM »
I am fiiiiinally catching up on Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson (third book in his The Stormlight Archive series! I'm almost 50% through and am enjoying it a lot (although there are some annoying parts, but so far not as many as I found in Words of Radiance - probably because two characters that I love but I find annoying when they interact don't really interact in this book). I think there are so many Brandon Sanderson fans we need to have a Brandon Sanderson topic! I'd love to hear what people think about where he's going with The Stormlight Archive! :D

mathgnome

• Journeyman
  • A friendly squish who likes to write
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
I am fiiiiinally catching up on Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson (third book in his The Stormlight Archive series!

Aaaaahhhh, I loved that book so much!!! Seriously, it was great. We should totally have a Brandon Sanderson topic!
For glory lit and life alive,
For goals unreached and dreams to strive:
All men must try, the wind did see,
It is the test, it is the dream.

-Wit, from Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson