Worldsmyths

Rory's Story Cubes

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
on: May 24, 2018, 06:04:28 PM
Rory's Story Cubes are these dice with images on them, you roll between 1-9 of them and use the images to prompt a story. I've got the app and a bunch of expansions (Actions, Enchanted, Fright, Mythic, Powers, and Medieval). So if you are looking for a prompt and don't want to pay for the dice let me know and I'll roll some for you.

Some examples:

A monk, a foot print, and a person leading another person by the hand while pointing.

A person walking, a hand blasting a power beam, and a medusa like creature

A tee pee, a person falling into a floor trap, and the medusa creature again

A sack on a stick (hobo stick?), a person walking through a door, and an island

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:04:47 AM
I had them too. And they didn't inspire me. I gave them to a friend who writes stories for children. Maybe they help her.

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:26:23 PM
They don't always do it for me, I've got to roll a couple times before I find something that prompts and idea. I find it good for more free flow discovery writing.

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:32:09 PM
I find it good for more free flow discovery writing.

What is free flow discovery writing?

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:05:36 PM
Writing without a game plan or even a thought of where the story is going. Absolutely winging it and seeing what happens sentence by sentence. You have to really let your mind relax and turn off your filter, or at least that is how it works for me. I do it for warm up exercises just to get the words started.

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:25:53 PM
I get blocked if I write without a plan, not knowing where it goes :) I didn't know about that because it didn't apply to me.  The EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE blocks me. If having "you can do almost anything, but keep into account the historical environment of the setting" :P like I do in historical fiction, I can manage.

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:28:21 PM
Bump! I've got the base set and the following expansion sets - Actions, Enchanted, Fright, Mythic, Powers (superhero), Medieval.

You can roll between 1 and 9 dice, and pick between one and all of the sets of dice to choose from.

An example - I am choosing 6 dice with dice from the base set, actions, enchanted, and mythic. I got

• Cyclops with a club and one eye
  • An arrow pointing to the top right corner of the die
  • A crescent moon
  • An arrow
  • A well
  • An open book

Mynoris

• Novice
  • I would not be the hero of the tale.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:54:17 AM
(I would have been crazy enough to take pictures of my story cube rolls and post them.)
"If you experience something horrible, are you brave enough to change it? If you experience something beautiful, are you brave enough to let it change you?"