• 8 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
IMPORTANT: CAPTCHA/404 Errors
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:59:37 PM »
In the last week or so, there have been several of the members of the forum who have been receiving a CAPTCHA/"prove you're not a robot" message and/or a 404 error (see the above images for examples) when trying to visit the forum. Initially it seemed to only be happening to a few people, but now it seems to be more persistent - even once you "prove you're not a robot," the CAPTCHA message still reappears at random times. I contacted our host's support team last week and they fixed something on their end, but it is still continuing. I contacted them again and they had me do something on my end, so hopefully this is finally fixed.

However, because of the fact that it seems to be happening to random members, I would like to be able to give as much information as I can to the support team if I need to contact them again (and I am genuinely curious as to who else it may be effecting that I have not heard from about it). So here are some steps to follow if it DOES happen again:

1. Take a screenshot of whatever error pops up when you visit the site, whether it's the CAPTCHA error or 404 error.
2. Send an e-mail to worldsmythswriters@gmail.com with the screenshot and tell me what you did before the error(s) appeared. From there, I will be able to give the support techs the proper information so that they know what it is going on when the error occurs.

If you cannot access the site due to receiving these errors, you can Google search the name "Worldsmyths" and you should be able to access the forum that way.

We appreciate your patience and any help that you can provide on your end when these errors occur, though like I said they should hopefully be fixed now.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Re: IMPORTANT: CAPTCHA/404 Errors
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:11:22 PM »
It was still giving me the error message only a minute ago, but for some strange reason, I can now access the site. Talk about arriving in the nick of time!
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:49:06 PM »
It was still giving me the error message only a minute ago, but for some strange reason, I can now access the site. Talk about arriving in the nick of time!
Which error? Because when I got the CAPTCHA message, I got it once and I clicked "I am not a robot" and it was fine and then maybe...two or three days later, I think, it happened again and I had to do the same thing. So it doesn't seem to be something where you're permanently blocked when you get that message, it's just a temporary block until you prove that you're not a robot attacking the site...which is stupid because clearly you're not, and it should recognize your IP address...it's really rather annoying.  :-\ It's not like it's ONE person's IP that's being effected, it's MULTIPLE people, and none of our IP's are going to be the same.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »
Which error?
I was referring to the 404 in my last post.
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:31:09 AM »
I've sent in another ticket.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon 'cause I'm getting really irritated now.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Amblygon

• Journeyman
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
I thought it was just me! Earlier this week I got the 404 Error page and actually rushed to the Discord chat to see if there was something up with the website. I've had the CAPTCHA thing twice now (I feel like once was last week or two weeks ago and the other time was right after the 404 Error message). If I see either again I'll try to remember to take a screenshot!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
I thought it was just me! Earlier this week I got the 404 Error page and actually rushed to the Discord chat to see if there was something up with the website. I've had the CAPTCHA thing twice now (I feel like once was last week or two weeks ago and the other time was right after the 404 Error message). If I see either again I'll try to remember to take a screenshot!

Yeah, I've gotten the CAPTCHA...two or three times? But haven't gotten the 404 error, for whatever reason (maybe because I'm the admin? I dunno).

@Amblygon and @Tyrannohotep I have a feeling I may end up having to PM you guys and ask for your IP addresses (there's a website link that they've given me before that shows your IP address if you go to it), just to be able to give the techs EVEN MORE examples of what's going on, so they can look at specific IP addresses. They seem to not want to believe that it's happening because they can't recreate the errors on their end, so it's like they don't believe me when I tell them it's happening to MULTIPLE PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD. -___-

I really hope we get this resolved soon. I'm getting annoyed that it's not fixed yet.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 08:21:41 PM »
UPDATE: please read/reply
Okay, so here's the latest update on this whole mess.

I have been going back and forth with the Hawkhost techs, and basically...I need the IP addresses of everyone who's been getting the 404 error/CAPTCHA message, so that I can send it to them and they can unblock your IPS.

This is the last message that I got from them:
Hello,

The IP's you had provided were blocked by Imunify360 in our server. Since we have whitelisted your domain for Imunify checks, it won't be blocking your IP's anymore. Although the ones that are already blocked will remain until removed from our end. Therefore, you will have provide us with the IP's so that we can check and remove the same.

Regarding the 'unusual activities', even a login failure can be counted as unusual activity as there are chances that an attacker might be trying to brute force login to your account or your services.

Feel free to get back to us for further assistance.

I'm not entirely convinced that this issue is really going to be fixed- I don't understand why this is happening when we've been hosted by them for over a year, but what do I know? We'll see what happens.

Anyway...I need your help to get this resolved!

If you have been receiving the 404 error/CAPTCHA message and I do NOT already have your IP address, I need you to please go to this link and send a PM to me with the numbers it gives you (it will be your specific IP address).

Once I have the IP addresses of everyone whom this has been effecting, I will be able to send the list to Hawkhost and they will unblock your IPs, so that HOPEFULLY this will not happen again.

@Amblygon, @Manu, @Penguinball (you already know, but I need your work IP :P ), @mathgnome I believe you guys are all the remaining people whose IP addresses I need. If you are not on this list and are still receiving the error message/CAPTCHA/are unable to access the forum, please let me know and also make sure to send me your IP address after going to the link I gave.

Thank you for your patience, and for getting me the IPs a.s.a.p! Ideally I would like to get the list sent in to them by Monday.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:23:49 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
UPDATE
Okay, so I gave Hawkhost the IP addresses of everyone whose IP was being affected.

They came back and said that the only two things they could find in the logs were errors from IP addresses that belong to people who aren't even registered on the forum.  :-\ They barely believed that anything was happening to begin with, but it seems like it's fixed now? I've yet to have anyone tell me otherwise, and it's been a few days, so I think we're good now....hopefully. PLEASE let me know if you get the 404/CAPTCHA message again, or if you can't access the forum.
NaNoWriMo 2018