Poll

Poll Do you think we should take a break from the writing challenges for NaNoWriMo?

Yes- skip October (for planning) and November (for NaNo) and pick them back up in December
2 (15.4%)
Yes- only skip November itself and pick the challenges back up in December
2 (15.4%)
No- keep them going during October and November, give us generic prompts, and also let us submit excerpts from our NaNo projects as an alternative
7 (53.8%)
Other (will reply)
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Monthly Writing Challenge Feedback - please read/reply/vote

• 7 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Monthly Writing Challenge Feedback - please read/reply/vote
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »
Hi everyone! We're looking for feedback on the writing challenges (yes, again)! We have a lot of new members whom we'd love to get feedback from regarding the challenges, but of course as always, everyone is encouraged to give their suggestions!

I think one of the things we, behind the scenes, have been struggling with the most is the actual prompts- finding prompts that will work for everyone and will draw in more submissions. But I guess one of the things we're looking for feedback on is whether there's anything else we can try doing that will spark your interests enough to submit to the challenges - what spins we can try adding onto the prompts, whether they're too open ended or too specific...things like that.

Also, one of the things we'd like to know is whether or not you guys think we should put the challenges on hiatus again for NaNo! I believe in the past we've stopped the challenges in October and picked them back up in January, or something along those lines, since usually everyone's pretty busy focusing on prepping and actually writing for NaNo and then recovering from it. Please vote in the poll and also let us know by replying to this post what you think we should do.

So what is your overall feedback and suggestions regarding the writing challenges? Is there anything particular that we can try and do to help encourage you to submit to the challenges, or are they fine the way they are? We do have a post here where you are welcome to give your suggestions for prompts that we could use for the challenges, and we're ALWAYS looking for suggestions for possible prompts that we can use for the challenges.

In previous feedback posts, we've mostly been told that a lot of the time it's that many of us are too busy and run out of time, or they don't want to write something brand new for a challenge when they're already focusing on a project of their own. Please remember, as long as it fits the prompt we've given, you are more than welcome to submit something previously written for a challenge - it does not have to be brand new!

Note: in the past, we have received feedback telling us that we should consider offering prizes as an incentive for entering the challenges. Unfortunately, this is not something we can do right now. We have also always followed the thought that it should not take something like a prize to give someone the incentive to submit to the challenges, and that just the fun of submitting and getting feedback should be enough to be willing to participate.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Writing Challenge Feedback - please read/reply/vote
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:03:11 PM »
Other - Have October be a planning month, but instead of having something to vote on, people can post outlines/ideas and get some feedback/brainstorming going on? Like, 'here is my outline, please point out any glaring plotholes I should avoid'. And skip November, my time will be FULL.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
Other - Have October be a planning month, but instead of having something to vote on, people can post outlines/ideas and get some feedback/brainstorming going on? Like, 'here is my outline, please point out any glaring plotholes I should avoid'. And skip November, my time will be FULL.
YES! We can do, like, a NaNoPlaMo thing, and maybe have different themes each day or week to discuss, like different aspects of world building and character creation and plots and such, in addition to what you suggested. It'll be easy to allow people who aren't participating in NaNo to take part of it, too, because it won't really be NaNo specific, just NaNo prep themed. I already have ideaaaas forming!

We've always skipped November regardless, I think, it's just October that is usually the month that has to be decided on. I say we do this! What does everyone else think?
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 09:53:33 PM »
Anyone have any actual feedback regarding the challenges?
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 11:45:32 PM »
Bump...

I'd really love to see some kind of feedback regarding the challenges in general, since they've been so up and down with submissions, even with us giving a free write last month.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jupiter Jabez

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:24 AM »
Other:
Seconding the suggestion to use October as a NaNoPlaMo thing.
Adding support for "skip November itself".
Suggestion to skip December as well, since December is always the month I'm most brain-dead for in regards to writing...
Caveat that I haven't taken part in any of the forum's monthly writing challenges yet myself, so I'm not sure how qualified I am for making suggestions regarding them.

I'm afraid I don't have any feedback regarding how the challenges are currently done, as I'm honestly not sure how often I myself will participate in them; and the issue there has nothing to do with the challenges, it's purely due to how I try to manage my online socialization.

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 12:11:31 AM »
I voted for skipping October and November for the NaNoWriMo thing and then resuming course in December.

As for how the challenges are currently being done...honestly, I don't have much to critique or suggest at the moment.
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Looks like we're going to do a NaNoPlaMo thing in October! @Penguinball and I are going to work on figuring out what this NaNoPlaMo thing will actually be (so far I have some vague ideas), but if you have any suggestions for it, let me know!

I still would really like some actual feedback for the monthly writing challenges from people. The amount of submissions we've been getting for them has been dwindling lately, and we really want to try and do whatever we can to help change that. It seems like lack of time is often the reasoning for not participating, which is why we went from bi-weekly challenges to monthly challenges, to give people who don't have enough time in a week to write something throughout the month and get it submitted, which theoretically should be more than enough time to get something written and submitted. We seem to be constantly struggling with the challenges and not really getting anywhere with getting them in the right direction as far as general interest and actual participation go.  :-\ It's frustrating that it's like this after over two years, but we're kind of at a loss for what else we could possibly do, which is why we want feedback.
NaNoWriMo 2018