Worldsmyths

Dress Up Your Characters

electric

• Novice
  • +2 charisma
    • View Profile
    • RPGateway
on: August 09, 2018, 02:26:48 PM
What is/are your characters' signature looks, accessories, pieces of clothing, or styles? Is there something they wear all the time, without fail? How would a few of your character's dress in the modern world?
"'I reach across and bring worlds together.'
Nothing was just one thing: there were worlds within worlds. Those of us who trod the line between were blessed and burdened with both."
Rachel Hartman, Shadow Scale

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 04:17:49 PM
Thalassa is always wearing a scarf around her neck, to hide her gills. She is a crossbreed, something seen as an abomination. If people knew she could be killed for it. Gets bloody hot though!

Modern world - Turtlenecks? Hard to picture her in anything but.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:30:32 PM
Hmm... So Sarett is a bit messy (gets that from me!) as a general look cause she wants to be comfortable when working, and she wears all sorts of colours. Her favourite is orange, and she has a nice orange dress she likes to wear out. Jascha dresses casual all the time, fond of the jeans a shirt look. Also, does it count that Jascha particularly likes it when Sarett wears a pretty revealing red dress that he bought her? Haha :P

Neither of them always wear something in particular but Luna does. She wears her mother's necklace which was a present from her father (to her mother) but Luna was given it when Alenda parted with them. It's the only thing they (her and her siblings) have of her. It's precious to both Luna and her father :) Luna also has her divination cards from her father (who made them) which are always on her along with her bag.

And my demons tend to wear furs and leathers, and for some reason I can imagine Celeste in one of those floor length black coats with the super furry hood. And it suits her so much :D

CaptainStrat

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:37 PM
Maeve spends most of her time outside and doesnít have money for anything extravagant, so all of her clothes are old and well worn. Her coat is mainly for utility purposes; a thick, faded brown leather that has seen better days. She usually wears a large, wide brimmed floppy hat on her head thatís weather stained and often has a layer of dirt and cobwebs on it. She once found a spider living on the brim and called him Greep.
In the real world, she would be all about comfort; big wooly jumpers, thick leggings.  Some sort of handy satchel.

Carrigan sports a rather fetching teal overcoat. Itís a thick, luxurious velvet, lined with a navy silk and is far too clean for him not to have been maintaining it with magic. His waistcoat underneath is a lighter teal with fine, silver embroidery. He usually tops it off with a silk scarf to complete the polished look.
In the real world, he would most definitely be wearing a three piece suit, regardless of the occasion.
From the lone shieling of the misty island

Mountains divide us, and the waste of seas-

Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides

electric

• Novice
  • +2 charisma
    • View Profile
    • RPGateway
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:43:55 AM
Oh everyone's outfits seem really telling of their character's identities!

Raveena wears adventuring clothes, so they're pretty worn and dirty, but she always has the two gems created from her soul bonding around her neck. She uses them for comfort and as reminders of her home and origins. I wrote this question, but its hard for me to imagine Rav in any modern clothes. I assume she'd wear monochromatic, usually black and simple outfits, and probably have a similar sort of necklace, but I could also see her as wearing flowing boho style clothes and having lots of rings and weird accessories...who knows!

Ariana has  jean jacket that was supposedly her dad's, and in the midst of revolution she paints a giant sunflower on the back of it, which could definitely get her arrested. Her outfits are modern/post modern, so she'd wear the same thing if she lived in our world, probably with more colorful ensembles.
"'I reach across and bring worlds together.'
Nothing was just one thing: there were worlds within worlds. Those of us who trod the line between were blessed and burdened with both."
Rachel Hartman, Shadow Scale

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 05:31:59 PM
For my current project Skyfire, I've drawn Khenmet wearing more or less the traditional ancient Egyptian clothing, namely a white linen dress and jewelry of gold and precious stones around her neck and limbs (see here for a full-body illustration of her). Also, she wears her hair in dreadlocks tied into a ponytail. Her friend Sennuwy has more or less the same attire, but her hair is braided instead (no drawing of her yet though).

As for the antagonist Scylax, he wears bronze Mycenaean-style armor (like this) and wears his hair long and wavy. I imagine him to be clean-shaven though.

What would these characters wear if they were transported to modern times? Khenmet and Sennuwy are friends, so their taste in fashion might be similar. I picture them wearing white tank tops, blue jeans, high heels, black eyeliner, and plenty of bling (including gold-chain necklaces with ankhs attached). Scylax, on the other hand, would strut around in a military uniform like the warmongering dictator he is.
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 02:25:45 PM
Rather, my characters have favourite jewelry or something else special, while dressing (more or less) appropriate for their status.

My pirate captain, Sol Picador, has a silver earring with a charm on it. The charm is a sort of a silver sun. Otherwise, he is dressing practically, for the work at sea, and more elegantly when he wants to impress ashore. He can disguise himself too if he needs to blend into another environment for spying, and then the tell-tale earring is replaced by a little pearl.

The former mercenary, now smuggler, Chago El Moreno, has at his neck the cross of Santiago and a beads charm received in Cuba, that he doesn't know it belongs to Oggun, a santeria god. He had been told by a santera to wear golden sash and neckerchief, and he obeys it. The reason is that it's the colour of Santa Virgen del Cobre (and Ochun the santeria goddess) whom he is honouring.

Roxana from "Lives in Turmoil" was wearing the scapulary of Our Lady of Carmel under her clothes, no matter if disguised as a boy or after she resumed being a modest woman.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 07:10:52 PM
Andreas ties his waist-length hair back with a piece of old bandage, a habit adopted from his mother, who used to do the same.  (She volunteered in a hostel for homeless people, treating their wounds and offering them comfort).

He has a straggly unkempt moustache which he later grows out into a long sweeping style, in homage to a dear friend who passed away.

He usually dresses in shabby old checked suits.  His neck-tie is made from leather and contains a wire garrotte hidden inside it.  (He is a Spy Master and assassin by trade).  His preferred footwear is a pair of old brown leather sandals, similar to those worn by his mother and by a favourite uncle.

He openly admits that he has never gotten the hang of clothing and in private, he prefers to go about naked.

His arms and back are adorned with many tattoos.  The main one on his back was done during his time in prison.  (He befriended the prison tattoo artist).  He also has many scars and burn-marks on his chest and arms, the result of being bullied by his older half-brothers during childhood and adolescence.

For some of his missions, he wears disguises.  His favourite costumes are those of a beggar's rags or a priest's black robes.  At times, he performs as a stage conjurer, so he will wear elaborate stage costumes with flowing cloaks.

It's urban fantasy, so he would dress exactly the same in the real world.  Other accessories include a cellphone and a customised computer tablet which he made himself from spare parts.  (He is an expert computer engineer, programmer and hacker).  He also carries lock-picks and claims that he can get past any kind of lock, whether mechanical or digital.  He has been known to pick a lock using just a strip of old bandage.
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.