Worldsmyths

Question of the Day #42: Rewriting a Story

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
on: August 22, 2018, 10:30:18 AM
What story would you rewrite if you had the time and/or inclination? (Can be one of yours or someone else's)

As always, feel free to reply to this post with more question of the day topic suggestions.
NaNoWriMo 2018

mathgnome

• Journeyman
  • A friendly squish who likes to write
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:53:57 AM
I was literally just thinking about this last night with regards to Star Wars, particularly the end of Revenge of the Sith. I guess I'll put a spoiler tag...?

(click to show/hide)

So apparently that's how I'd rewrite Star Wars.
For glory lit and life alive,
For goals unreached and dreams to strive:
All men must try, the wind did see,
It is the test, it is the dream.

-Wit, from Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:57:17 PM
I was literally just thinking about this last night with regards to Star Wars, particularly the end of Revenge of the Sith. I guess I'll put a spoiler tag...?

(click to show/hide)

So apparently that's how I'd rewrite Star Wars.

Lol, I'm pretty sure most Star Wars fans have seen Revenge of the Sith by now, so the spoiler cut is probably not necessary, but I'll join in on being cautious :P.

(click to show/hide)

Hm, I'll have to think about what story I would rewrite and come back.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Penguinball

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:15:52 PM
Not much is coming to mind for me. And my stories are nothing BUT rewrites, so that is kind of a given :P

MarthaBechtel

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Tales From a Messy Workbench
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 10:26:48 AM
Hmm, can I nominate everything Todd McCaffrey has ever written in Pern? I was so seriously enraged trying to slog through his massacring of his mother's world... just-- ARG!  :'(

To be fair, I'm not sure could do that world justice either, but I couldn't do worse! *grump**grump**grump*
www.Martha.net - Where the madness happens! :D

MagicMagor

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:57:47 AM
Only one comes to mind. I have my first ever written story "The skeleton" on paper. My intention is to type it into the computer and do a complete rewrite. Since it is rather short (6 pages), it is not that much work and i want to do it as an experiment on editing and getting a clearer picture how far i've come since then.

But i will finish the first draft of Tigerhall first.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 34,711

jessikanesis

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 10:12:48 AM
When I was in high school, back before the Pirates of the Caribbean films made pirates a mainstream kind of cool, I went through a big pirate phase and wrote a novel about a female captain in a semi-futuristic setting who had a chaos-sewing crew of miscreants from every corner of the world. They liked wrecking stuff, had a connection to a sperm whale that was at least a magical guide and at most an ancient sea god, and they answered, as a dozen other ships did, to one pirate "king" who lived in the Canary Islands.
I don't even think I have a copy of my original draft anymore, but I'd be really into rewriting it one day.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:13:55 PM
When I was in high school, back before the Pirates of the Caribbean films made pirates a mainstream kind of cool, I went through a big pirate phase and wrote a novel about a female captain in a semi-futuristic setting who had a chaos-sewing crew of miscreants from every corner of the world. They liked wrecking stuff, had a connection to a sperm whale that was at least a magical guide and at most an ancient sea god, and they answered, as a dozen other ships did, to one pirate "king" who lived in the Canary Islands.
I don't even think I have a copy of my original draft anymore, but I'd be really into rewriting it one day.
This sounds like it has strong Firefly vibes to me, at least with the captain and crew part. You should totally rewrite it!
NaNoWriMo 2018