Worldsmyths Million Challenge Feedback Wanted!

• 2 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Worldsmyths Million Challenge Feedback Wanted!
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »
Our first ever Worldsmyths Million challenge has pretty much ended! We're looking for feedback on so that hopefully we can continue running this challenge in the coming years and would appreciate it if everyone could take a few minutes to respond to these questions in a reply to this post. Obviously if you joined when it was too late to sign up for the challenge, you do not have to answer these questions, though it would be helpful to know if there are any particular months that you think would generally work better for you next year so that you can hopefully participate.

Code: [Select]
[b]1. Did you participate in the challenge? If you participated in the challenge, what did you think about it overall?[/b]
[b]2. If you didn't participate in the challenge as were a member of the forum during it, was there anything that made you not participate (if you joined before the deadline for sign ups)? [/b]
[b]3. Did you keep on top of updating your word count throughout the challenge? If not, why?[/b]
[b]4. What did you think of having the challenge run from March to August? Were these good months for you as far as participation goes, or are there better months that would have worked for you? If you didn't participate this year, are there specific months that would generally work best for you next year?[/b]
[b]5. Was there anything about the way the challenge was done that you would suggest changing? Was there anything you would suggest adding onto it?[/b]
[b]6. Is there anything else about the challenge you'd like to say overall?
[/b]
NaNoWriMo 2018

Elena

• Expert
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Caribbean Dawn
Re: Worldsmyths Million Challenge Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:25:21 PM »
1. Did you participate in the challenge? If you participated in the challenge, what did you think about it overall?

I participated in it and I liked it. But at a certain time (after overpassing the number of pledged words) I stopped counting my words and participating, when some problems made me interrupting writing. Yes, I had written ever since, but I haven't counted anymore.

2. If you didn't participate in the challenge as were a member of the forum during it, was there anything that made you not participate (if you joined before the deadline for sign ups)?

There were problems which didn't allow me write for a while.

3. Did you keep on top of updating your word count throughout the challenge? If not, why?

I was updating the word count here when I remembered it, but until June or July I kept updating it in my Excel every day.

4. What did you think of having the challenge run from March to August? Were these good months for you as far as participation goes, or are there better months that would have worked for you? If you didn't participate this year, are there specific months that would generally work best for you next year?

It was OK.

5. Was there anything about the way the challenge was done that you would suggest changing? Was there anything you would suggest adding onto it? Is there anything else about the challenge you'd like to say overall?

No other comments.

Fluffypoodel

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Worldsmyths Million Challenge Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
1. Did you participate in the challenge? If you participated in the challenge, what did you think about it overall?

I participated and thought it was a great idea. We tend to isolate ourselves in the writing process and this proved a fun way of seeing the struggles and triumph of others, using that sense of community for continued inspiration.

2. If you didn't participate in the challenge as were a member of the forum during it, was there anything that made you not participate (if you joined before the deadline for sign ups)?

N/A

3. Did you keep on top of updating your word count throughout the challenge? If not, why?

I started every day at first and then got more sporadic as the activity grew quiet. I stopped updating altogether after I reached the maximum goal. I still wrote but I didn't want to shove that in anyone's face.

4. What did you think of having the challenge run from March to August? Were these good months for you as far as participation goes, or are there better months that would have worked for you? If you didn't participate this year, are there specific months that would generally work best for you next year?

It would have worked any time for me. Winter months might be better since a lot of people are stuck inside.

5. Was there anything about the way the challenge was done that you would suggest changing? Was there anything you would suggest adding onto it?

Higher word caps...?

6. Is there anything else about the challenge you'd like to say overall?

I liked it. I don't know if I would have written less if I hadn't participated in the challenge. I liked the spreadsheet. Nothing like cold blooded statistics and graphs to get you in the mood to write!