Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
on: August 31, 2018, 08:11:40 PM
September Writing Challenge
September 1st - 30th
This is the last monthly writing challenge until December when NaNo has ended, so we hope you'll submit something!

Prompt: This month, you have two sets of prompts!

First prompt: write a story that includes one or more of the following elements:
*Death
*A romantic scene
*An animal companion (dragons, wolves, etc)
*Winter celebrations
*A comedic scene

Second prompt: we haven't done an image prompt in a long time, so we decided now would be a good time to do it before we pause the challenges for a while for NaNo.

Hopefully this image isn't too specific and isn't uninspiring! It can be anyone you want that's on the road. Who are they passing by? Where are they going? What happens as they're walking? It doesn't even have to be a mountain road! Pretend it's a desert road, or a forest or something like that. Be as creative as necessary until something inspires you.

If you have any other questions about the challenge, please reply to this post!

Wordcount: 5,000 word maximum. Please remember, this is just a maximum, meaning that you do NOT have to write 5,000 words, it just means that you can't surpass it.
Submission deadline: Saturday, September 29th, 2018, by 11:59 PM GMT-5 (11:59 PM EDT).

If you already have something written that fits the given prompts, you CAN and are encouraged to submit it to the challenge!

Voting will be posted on Sunday, September 30th, 2018.

All entries should be submitted to the writing challenge submission forum, using the submission form. You are allowed to submit your challenge via Google doc link or by uploading a Word doc to a response to this post as an attachment.

Remember, all entries must fit the fantasy genre.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here in the thread or send one of us a PM! Good luck!

Please respond to this post with the following information filled out in order to submit your entry:

Code: [Select]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word count:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Link to story:[/b]
[b]Do you want feedback after voting ends?[/b]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:29:29 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:59:35 PM
Bump...anyone planning to submit? I hope we get at least a few submissions for this one before we pause the challenges until December! :D
NaNoWriMo 2018

Kenaron

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:21:04 PM
I was planning on submitting something, I just wanted to ask you, do I need to make an entry for both prompts?

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 03:32:17 PM
If you have two stories one for each prompt then yes :) if you have used both prompts in one story then no :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:19:09 PM
I was planning on submitting something, I just wanted to ask you, do I need to make an entry for both prompts?

Nope, not at all! You can choose one of them or do a combo of both within the same story.
If you have two stories one for each prompt then yes :) if you have used both prompts in one story then no :)

This is true, but technically it's only one submission per person for the challenges. So you could write one and use it for a challenge and then write another and just submit it for feedback or maybe use it for a future challenge's response ('cause we do allow previously written stories to be submitted if they fit the theme).
NaNoWriMo 2018

Kenaron

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:01:25 PM
Great! Then I'll just get to work on an entry for both of them.

jessikanesis

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:56:53 AM
Title: The Cat Lady
Word count: 4930
Summary: Lawrence's sister Harriet has been a source of concern and embarrassment ever since she adopted her first cat: a black and white tom named Tuxedo who gives Lawrence the creeps. Isn't that the same cat that used to belong to the crazy old lady who lived down the hall from them when they were kids? It couldn't be, right? He'd be too old.
One cat becomes two, two becomes six, and so on until upwards of twenty cats are sharing the tiny apartment that Harriet refuses to leave, even to buy groceries. Lawrence's upcoming wedding to a lovely girl who has yet to meet Harriet causes a heated argument just days before his sister is found dead, being circled by a drove of hungry cats. Tuxedo is nowhere to be seen after that... at least to anyone besides Lawrence.
Link to story: http://forum.worldsmyths.com/index.php?topic=1664.0
Do you want feedback after voting ends? Sure!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 09:03:31 PM
@Jessitiz I saw that you submitted your September challenge entry! You'll also have to reply to this post with the form in the first post and fill it out. :D (I know, we reaaaally need a better way to do writing challenge submissions.  :-\ )
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 06:39:23 PM
You still have time to get your submissions in if you haven't yet!
NaNoWriMo 2018