Hei!

• 9 Replies

TwistedRiver

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hei!
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:52:17 AM »
Hellohellohello!

First of all, thank you Jedi Knight Muse, for the welcome message!

My name is Frida (25 years young), mostly known as TwistedRiver on the crazy internet. Flew over from the NaNo-forums, and have been a participant in NaNo quite a few times, but never actually won. I blame this on a self-diagnosed chronic condition, never-manages-to-finish-anything-no-matter-how-many-ideas. The acronym is too bothersome to spell out  :P So now I'm slowly picking up that spark and joy I find in writing, after a few years in a rut.

Fantasy is of course my favorite genre, but I also like magical realism, historical novels with a touch of magic and mythology. My kind of heaven was when I got to write about Professor Trelawney in university! Anyway, I tend to ramble when trying to say things about myself, so...

My biggest project this year (besides keeping up with uni; just started again in august, uaaah), is to actually finish one of those old projects of mine. I'm very fond of all my ideas and characters, no matter the plot holes and illogical composition. I'm hoping that finding a space where people share some of the same interests (no pressure there), might help me get my groove back ;p

Thank you for reading, and happy writing! (Oh, and I'm from Norway, but prefer to write in English, if that matters).

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hei!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Frida! Let us know if you have any questions!

I totally hear you on being a never managing to finish anything no matter how many ideas person. :P What's helped me is keeping idea journals, because once I write any ideas that come to me while I'm already working on a project down, they're less likely to invade my brain and make me want to write those instead of my main project. It worked well enough for me that I was finally able to finish writing a first draft last September, but...it's a massive mess. XD I hope we're able to help you get your groove back, too!
NaNoWriMo 2018

TwistedRiver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »
Thank you! And I will ask looads of questions eventually, haha :D

Idea journal, I like that! Do you just keep one for all your scribblings and ideas, or does each project get like it's own thing? I started sorting out my bigger ideas, by at least giving them each their own Scrivener project, instead of being scattered all over different word documents. That has at least helped tremendeously, 'cause I realized I've been letting the worlds slide into each other from time to time. And although I find it intriguing that different stories take place in the same world, the "rules" and happenings og each story doesn't really get along with the world itself.

And for the groove part, I feel it jiggin' already! :D

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »
Hi and welcome :)

What are your other interests? I'm sure there are plenty here with similar :)  and if you wanna chat about anything writing or otherwise here and on discord is fine.

I'm not overly sure what magical realism is, but I am writing an AU earth but with magic and some magical creatures :)

Just yell if you need help and hope being here gets your groove back :)

TwistedRiver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
Thank you, thank you!
I do have a Discord account already, so I will swoop by in the very near future!

Other interests involve photography (landscape/nature, animals), and my dog is one of my favorite beings to photograph. This interest creates a love for hiking, or general trodding about in nature, either in dense forests looking for berries and mushrooms, or skipping over bare and windy mountain tops.  But I also like to spend time inside, playing video games! Huge fan of The Sims, the Witcher series, anything Assassins Creed, Horizon (<3). Other "inside" activities would be going to art galleries or museums. Hoping to work in either one again some time in the future.

Magical realism is.. quickly summarized, fiction that has a realistic view of the world, but that is spiced up with magical elements that are considered normal in that setting. Isabel Allende and Alice Hoffman are two writers quite known within the genre :)

I'm not overly sure what magical realism is, but I am writing an AU earth but with magic and some magical creatures :)
What does AU earth mean? And helloo, magical creatures! What sort of creatures? :D

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »
AU earth means alternate universe :)

As for creatures, I have some freaky faeries who are not very nice at all (and have mottled blue skin that my Antag thinks makes them look like a corpse) who steal human children and are pretty ruthless, I have some behind the scenes dragons but it's more what the dragons make which comes into play, and there are demons except my demons are an evolutionary offshoot of humans and are named demons because that's what humans did. They are pretty close to humans, but the main differences is that they have black acidic blood, generally are stronger, and their favourite food is humans ;)

I wonder if what I am writing classes as magical realism?

As for the photography, me and JKM both do it, I also love going through nature (I recently went to Puzzlewood in the Forest of Dean and it was amazing, I took so many pics). I'm also a sims fan and having been playing since the original. And I'm not the biggest fan of art galleries, but I did do art at uni and have 2 art degrees :)

TwistedRiver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:21:38 AM »
Aha, thanks for the info!

Freaky faeries, I'm intrigued, haha. They sound really badbottom! I like the naming process of the demons, haha :D I have demons in my current thing-ama-jig, but for me they are the "good" guys. With the good part being rather relative :P

I think it could count as a part of magical realism *thinking face*

Yay, more photography-afficianados (don't know how to spell that correctly D:). Forest of Dean, as of Forest of Dean that they go to in Harry Potter? Sims has changed sooo much since the original, and I like that it's still fun and evolving, even though they kind of go in circles with expansion-packs. And you have 2 art degrees?! Amazing :D Are they more theoretical or practical?

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
I have a short story with them in but they are having their butts kicked by my antag. He does not hold back at all :D

Yup that forest of dean :) but this is a specific part and it's been used in a lot of filming including doctor who and merlin :)

As for my degrees, I'm not sure :P I did a lot of both during my courses. I have a Fda (I think that's the letters anyway) and BA Hons :)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »
Thank you! And I will ask looads of questions eventually, haha :D

Idea journal, I like that! Do you just keep one for all your scribblings and ideas, or does each project get like it's own thing? I started sorting out my bigger ideas, by at least giving them each their own Scrivener project, instead of being scattered all over different word documents. That has at least helped tremendeously, 'cause I realized I've been letting the worlds slide into each other from time to time. And although I find it intriguing that different stories take place in the same world, the "rules" and happenings og each story doesn't really get along with the world itself.

And for the groove part, I feel it jiggin' already! :D

No, I just use one notebook and I write down whatever I find, whether it's names or plot ideas or whatever. So far I have two journals filled- the second one is actually, like, 30 pages (front and back) away from being completely filled. Luckily I have TONS of journals to use- my aunt gave me a little trunk filled with a bunch of spiral bound journals years ago for Christmas so I have lots of them to use. I also type them up into Scrivener and/or Google docs, though I've been terrible about keeping up with that. I should work on fixing that.

That's great!
NaNoWriMo 2018

TwistedRiver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
That sounds like a lot of fun studying Sheepy-Pie :D

An abundance of journals are never wrong. Some of mine I'm almost afraid to use, and I can only write in them if i use my "fancy" handwriting x)