Worldsmyths

Fantasy Scrivener Template

Emskie-Wings

• Novice
    • View Profile
on: September 13, 2018, 01:45:31 PM
Hi everyone!  :)

I posted something on the closed NaNoWriMo facebook group yesterday about a Scrivener template, and I got talking to one of the girls there, who happens to be (if I understood correctly) in charge of this forum, asking if she could put it up here, or if I maybe wanted to do it. Obviously, if this topic is up, you can guess what I decided.  ;)

So, over the past four years or so, I have been working on a fantasy template for Scrivener. The template itself isn't much, but there is a toolkit in the template that is what it's all about. There are a lot of template sheets to help you create characters, animals, locations, plants and so on and so forth. There is also a lot of research I did that you might find useful as well. I use this template a lot, and because it's mostly about the toolkit, it doesn't necessarily have to be used to write fantasy, I just called it that because it's the main genre I'm writing.

Of course, it's a work in progress but there are always more things I can add. The biggest thing I'm working on is the language kit to help you create your own language. It's big and takes a lot of time to create, time that I don't really have too much off now. In this version of the template, you find the first part and I'm working on the next step. You also have a short list of what I'm planning for a next update.

So, have a look at my template and let me know what you think. If you want to add something or have an idea, my email is included so that you can let me know!  8)

Emskie :)

EDIT 14/09/2018
I deleted the first file because it obviously wasn't working. I zipped everything and added the zip. For those with a Macbook, I added the Scrivener template file, hoping that this is the same regardless the type of computer you have.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:46:01 AM by Emskie-Wings »

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:26:30 PM
Hi! Yes, you're correct- I'm the owner/creator/admin of the forum! :D

Thank you for uploading the file...I tried to open it and I think my computer doesn't like it.  :-\ I have a Mac and it, like, renamed my desktop, and it won't even open the file for the template. I don't know how to fix it yet. I'm curious to know if anyone else (especially someone with a Mac) had this issue...
NaNoWriMo 2018

Emskie-Wings

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 07:47:29 AM
So yeah... there was a slight problem. It was because I only gave you the Scrivener file but not the whole folder with all the background data needed to run. I edited my original post and added the right attachments. Hopefully, it'll work now!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17:43 AM
So yeah... there was a slight problem. It was because I only gave you the Scrivener file but not the whole folder with all the background data needed to run. I edited my original post and added the right attachments. Hopefully, it'll work now!

Yeaaah...the files aren't opening on my computer :-\ I think it's because it's for Windows and I have a Mac. Thank you anyway, though. Hopefully someone else will be able to use them!
NaNoWriMo 2018

airrica

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 11:17:13 AM
Yeaaah...the files aren't opening on my computer :-\ I think it's because it's for Windows and I have a Mac. Thank you anyway, though. Hopefully someone else will be able to use them!

It works for me and I use a Mac. Did you download both files and go to import the template into Scrivener? That's what worked for me.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:47:29 PM

It works for me and I use a Mac. Did you download both files and go to import the template into Scrivener? That's what worked for me.
Ah, I didn't even try to open them through Scrivener itself. I'll try it!
NaNoWriMo 2018

Emskie-Wings

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 11:20:47 AM
I tried to find it on the internet if you can open any of my files if you are using Mac. Because Mac's most recent version is 3 and Windows most recent version is 1, you can't open them yet. Once version 3 is released, which should be before the end of 2018, it will be possible to open Windows files on a Mac computer and vice versa. I'm planning on buying the version the moment it becomes available and then I'll post the updated version of my template! =)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 09:56:35 PM
I tried to find it on the internet if you can open any of my files if you are using Mac. Because Mac's most recent version is 3 and Windows most recent version is 1, you can't open them yet. Once version 3 is released, which should be before the end of 2018, it will be possible to open Windows files on a Mac computer and vice versa. I'm planning on buying the version the moment it becomes available and then I'll post the updated version of my template! =)

You know, I haven't even tried to do an update of Scrivener or anything...and it hasn't told me that it needs to be updated. So maybe that's part of it- I don't have the most recent version of Scrivener. I should look into it and see if there's some kind of an update I need to install, but will otherwise wait until version three is released.
NaNoWriMo 2018