Indrotuction

Raiynagh

• Novice
    • View Profile
on: November 05, 2018, 12:20:25 PM
Basics

Name/Pen name:  Callum / Raiynagh
State/country: Scotland
Education: Um... boarding school, uni, decided I couldn't take another four years for a PhD.

Hobbies and Favorites

What are your hobbies?  Changeable on a weekly basis.  Writing, obviously; astronomy; robotics.
What is/are your favorite book(s) and authors?  Spice and Wolf, almost anything by Laini Taylor, Roadside Picnic, the Farseer Trilogy
What is/are your favorite movie(s) and TV show(s)?  Spice and Wolf, Rurouni Kenshin, Legend of the Condor Heroes, Shin Seiki Evangelion

Writing

How long have you been writing?  About 17 years
What was the first story you wrote that you remember?
-Is it finished?
-Have you ever let anyone read it?
-What genre (romance, fantasy, etc) was it?
  First story I ever started writing was the story of Shynilus IV, fantasy; never finished it, but I will do one day.
Who is your favorite character that you've written about?  Kesiettia, the evil princess princess who's not really evil magnificent chessmaster princess who is about the only person who can stand up to Shynilus II by the point in history when they meet.
What is your favorite fantasy world you've created? Feel free to tell us about it.  Swania.  I only have one fantasy world, and Swania is in it... but I have no idea where to start about it.
What fantasy project(s) are you currently working on? How's it going in terms of progress?  The story of Shynilus II's rise to power.  it's going absolutely terribly, because I can't write plot, I can only write characters reacting to situations.
Do you plan on taking advantage of the beta reading section?  Possibly, if I ever get that far.

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo?
-How many times?
  Yup!  Lots.
What genres were your NaNos?  Fantasy, with one foray into cyberpunk.
Did you finish the actual story by 50,000 words, or just reach 50,000 words but not be actually finished?  One time finished in under 50k, other times really not.
Are you planning on participating this coming November?  Nope!  I just finished my first ever first draft set in Swania (112k) on the 2nd, and I'm now desperately trying to plot.

Other Stuff
How did you find out about Worldsmyths?
-What made you decide to join?
-Have you told anyone else about it?
  Found out about it on a NaNo fantasy Discord, just as Mynoris before me.  Not told anyone else, because I don't have friends; at least none who have imaginary worlds.
What do you hope Worldsmyths will help you accomplish in terms of your writing goals?  Being around more people who do have imaginary worlds, and seeing how other people are faring with theirs?

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:33:11 PM
Welcome to our community, Callum!
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Manu

• Expert
    • View Profile
  • Beta Reading Profile: Available, but not a native speaker.
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:41:23 PM
Welcome to Worldsmyths, you'll find others with imaginary worlds here for sure!

Is Swania a world where all or most of your stories take place, or do you have different worlds?
This user is not a native English speaker. Her grammar may vary dependant on time of the day, level of sleep deprivation and amount of caffeine consumed.
Beta-reading profile

Raiynagh

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:53:47 PM
Swania's a continent (also, irritatingly, a state on said contintent at one point in its history, and at another point a geographic region, although only geographers need to worry about that, and none mof my main characters are geographers).  The universe is the Discoveran universe, after the first discovered habitable world, called Discovery.

Everything I'm interested in writing in the foreseeable future takes place in Swania, although one day I might expand out into the stars.

(Ugh, that sounded like I was trying to be poetic.  Really not.)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:27:59 PM
Welcome to the forum, @Raiynagh! I hope you enjoy it here and will hang out with us in our Discord server soon. :) Let us know if you have any questions, too!
NaNoWriMo 2018

Mynoris

• Novice
  • I would not be the hero of the tale.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:37 AM
When you pronounced Swania in your head, does the 'i' make a short vowel or long vowel sound?  I just really want to know. :)
"If you experience something horrible, are you brave enough to change it? If you experience something beautiful, are you brave enough to let it change you?"

Raiynagh

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:40 PM
Got to admit, never been asked that one before!  Long first A, short I.  Which is actually incorrect, as in Swanian the A would be shorter.

CaptainStrat

• Novice
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 04:02:09 PM
Hey Callum, welcome to the forum! Nice to see another Scot here! :D
From the lone shieling of the misty island

Mountains divide us, and the waste of seas-

Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides