kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
"Guilty Pleasure" Books
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:28:59 AM »
So we all have them. Those books we really enjoy reading even though, by all accounts, they should be utter crap. (I'm looking at you, Twilight.) But there's something about them that we find compelling when we read.

I'm wondering here not just what those books are for you, but also any theories you have about why you find them compelling.

For instance, for me with the Twilight books... I found her writing style easy to read, and some of her secondary characters and worldbuilding bits were really interesting to me. The myths of Jacob's people, for instance. The "werewolves" in general I found particularly interesting. And the vampires with special powers, and the mystery around Bella's thoughts being protected... things like that. I'm a sucker for interesting worldbuilding.

What about you?

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Re: "Guilty Pleasure" Books
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:09:16 AM »
Eragon and rest of the series ._. but I did start reading them when I was 12? So to me at the time they were super awesome etc. The overall story is interesting and I can still read it now and enjoy it. I mean I know there are some big cliches but I guess it kind of works in a bad way... :P

I think that's actually the only book guilty pleasure I have! Though I would also say Sailor Moon comes into this a little. I feel a bit embarrassed liking Sailor Moon

briari hallow

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
Twilight for sure. I loved it when I was what - 14, 15, 16. It thrilled me, I got lost in it, I stayed up until four a.m. after Breaking Dawn was released just to finish it as quickly as possible. As much as I dislike the plot (even at the time), there's an indulgence that's there, especially for someone who (at the time) had never known love. Rereading it now, it mostly pisses me off because Edward is kind of psycho and Bella is manipulative AF, and there aren't any actually good value in the book. But at the time, with nothing else to base my understanding of relationships on, it was a wonderful escape.

Also, Modelland. I'm talking about Tyra Banks's Modelland. Now, let me start off with saying I am the last person anyone would expect to be reading that book - I'm a literary geek, my friends and colleagues view me as a smart-ass, I don't really care about make-up or fashion on a tangible level - but when I found out about it I wanted it. And it's bad. It's so bad. SO BAD. I can't express how badly written it is. But I think for me, it was seeing Tyra's thought put into it. It was absolutely ridiculous (the plot, the world), but it was clear she worked hard on the books. She put in research on how to write, how to work a novel, and while I'm sure she had more help than we could ever dream of, you could tell she buckled down and worked on it. And I'm not going to lie - I've always loved her. I grew up watching ANTM and thinking Tyra was just about the most glamorous person in the world, and she's sweet and compassionate about others. So, reading her book, while I was embarrassed, it was a way to connect with her.

Becca

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
Considering I hardly have time to read in the first place, my guilty pleasures tend to come in the for of movies or shows than books... I will say I did also enjoy Twilight at the time I read them, though I hate the plot upon reflection, but I read it before all the hype so it didn't really occur to me while reading how bad it was... like, I couldn't put it down. So there must be something about the /way/ she writes that's captivating, regardless of plot, I've just never figured out what it is...

But my guilty pleasure TV show is Pretty Little Liars. I know it has its flaws but I love the mysteries so much. I tried the books, but couldn't make it past the second chapter... I know they're vastly different anyway.

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
Bri, I didn't know Tyra wrote a book! I used to watch ANTM as well. I always loved seeing the photos from their shoots.

Hm, if only we could scientifically dissect Meyers' writing...... :p

briari hallow

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
I think Meyer's has to do with the shell-thing. Bella is plain enough for a reader to easily insert themselves into her mind without it feeling intrusive or foreign.

Ahryantah

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »
Mercedes Lackey's books. They're not good, but they're pure wish fulfillment, especially when teenage!me discovered them. They also carry a nostalgia factor--me sitting by the pool at my grandma's house during summer vacation, reading all those books.

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »
Mercedes Lackey's books. They're not good, but they're pure wish fulfillment, especially when teenage!me discovered them. They also carry a nostalgia factor--me sitting by the pool at my grandma's house during summer vacation, reading all those books.

Did you read If I Pay Thee Not in Gold? I actually really liked that one :P Although it was a joint effort with Piers Anthony.

Ahryantah

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:56:12 PM »
I haven't read it, no. But I'm not in any way interested in reading something Piers Anthony had anything to do with.

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:17 AM »
I haven't read it, no. But I'm not in any way interested in reading something Piers Anthony had anything to do with.

Oh goodness, I need to know the story behind this vehemence! I don't read him anymore, but honestly one of his Xanth books was what got me into fantasy in the first place.

Ahryantah

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
No special reason. His writing is just shitty and misogynistic.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »
I like to read older adventure fiction like that of Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. The social attitudes in those stories are very much "of their time", but I dig the exotic locales and the writers' wild imaginations. It makes you wonder what it would be like to read fiction in that genre that wasn't racist or sexist.

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
My guilty pleasure has to be the Flowers in the Attic series by V. C. Andrews.

I read the whole series quite young and I was quite fascinated by the horror of the situation, and also by the casual way she just wrote about incest/rape/violence/murder. It was weird because the relationship between Cathy and Chris was really wrong, but not only could I understand *why* it happened, but I also found myself wanting them to be together.

The only downside was that I really didn't like Cathy. I warmed to her a little in the fourth book, but most of the time I found her to be selfish, cruel, and sometimes downright abusive. She uses people, she plays games with men, and she doesn't seem to care how her actions damage her own children.

xexes

• Journeyman
  • King Phillip
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »
The Anita Blake Series, where everything is solved with the bitchy protagonist's vagina.

My other guilty pleasure is the Twilight movies (hated the books), they put me to sleep in minutes and I have the most vivid dreams. I also like the songs the movies chose.