kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
What are you reading now?
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:41 PM »
So I figure this can be a thread that we circle back to as we pick up new stuff to read ^_^ Kind of squee about what we're reading, maybe find others reading the same thing or reading something we've read before and enjoyed. I'll start!

Half Lost by Sally Green, third (and final) book in the Half Bad series. I fell in love with these books, which is why I've been AWOL for the last couple of days. I'm about to slink away to finish reading the book, actually!

Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus, and receive the three gifts that will bring him into his own magical powers—before it's too late. But how can Nathan find his father when there is no one safe to trust, not even family, not even the girl he loves?

Half Bad is an international sensation and the start of a brilliant trilogy: a gripping tale of alienation and the indomitable will to survive.

After that, I have Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

And then I also have Star Wars: Aftermath - Life Debt by Chuck Wendig lined up... possibly saving that for August 15th when I hop on the shuttle to MEPS so I can leave for basic training, though.

briari hallow

Re: What are you reading now?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
I can't remember the last time I picked up a book. =____=;

Next on my list is Ronnie's Grave Report series, though. I've been meaning to read that for over a year, I think.

I find myself becoming increasingly put off. What happened to my glee at every tiny book?!

Sandy

• Apprentice
  • probably haunting you right now
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
I discovered 100k Plot-Plus-Lemon Fanfic, and I burn through a LOT of that stuff on my phone pretty regularly. Once you find decent authors, it's pretty dang gratifying. I haven't really been able to find any actual, original, published works lately that meet my standards for romance stories, and that's been what I've been bingeing on, so. (Especially with lesbian characters. It's so hard to find decent lesbian fiction. I can read millions of m/m lemons without issue, but something about m/f just puts me off.) So I've spent most of the summer being the weird goth concession stand girl who reads romance novels all day.

In terms of published writing, I finished The Dark Wife by S.E. Diemer a week or two ago. It was pretty good. Wouldn't really rec it very hard, though. Wasn't a fan of the awkward 'love at first sight but lets pretend it isn't because thats a cliche but they don't really interact in any way that suggests they are getting to know each other in a significant way' way the romance aspects progressed, the plot just kind of happened, and there was too much rape.

As for 'what I'm reading', that's like a horrifying stack of books, because I don't have a great attention span. I'm in the middle of one called Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin. It's basically like the show Bones, but medieval. I really love Bones, and I'm really loving this so far. The main character is a fantastic frustrated feminist from before-feminism, and she has some cool (and diverse!) friends. They're saving a Jewish community from being blamed for a bunch of child murders.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:51 AM »
I've been so bad about reading lately ("lately" as in basically the last two years), it's ridiculous.

I've had The Caller since...September or October or something of 2015. It's not that I don't enjoy the book- I loved the first two books, and Juliet Marillier is one of my favorite authors- I've just been RIDICULOUSLY SLOW about reading it.

I'm going to the beach tomorrow. I intend to make a LOT of progress with it. I should probably be doing that today, too.

After that, I have the first Game of Thrones book that I STARTED to read BEFORE I got The Caller and then I got The Caller so I stopped reading Game of Thrones so that I could read The Caller, not knowing that it would take over a year to finish the freaking thing.

I have The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter that was given to me by one of my friends that I need to read at some point. I really want to finish all of the Game of Thrones books first, though.

I really want to read Brandon Sanderson's books (I think I have the three Mistborn books), and then eventually A Wizard of Earthsea and Assassin's Apprentice.

I feel like such a bad fantasy fan/writer because there's so many "classic" books I haven't finished/read at all, despite being into reading fantasy books since...my sophomore year of HIGH SCHOOL, which was like...15 or 16 years ago.

The last two years I've been busy with schoolwork and I just...haven't had as much interest in pleasure reading? But then there's aaaaall the days that I've had off from work and from classes (like the summer) and I still haven't been reading a crazy amount, so really schoolwork isn't a good excuse.

Example: I started rewatching Game of Thrones from season one the other night. After these two episodes of Gilmore Girls I'm watching on TV end, I plan on watching MORE episodes of Game of Thrones rather than continue watching TV in the background while reading The Caller. -__-

I wish I had a hammock to go and lay on. My sister has one that we gave her for her birthday and she loves to lay in it and read. I need a hammock so I can do that.
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »
Oh @Sandy, I read a lot of fanfic too, to be honest :P On Archive of Our Own. There really are some terrifically talented authors out there who are happy just writing fanfiction. I particularly love Be Here Now, which is Johnlock based on the British TV's Sherlock. (I used to call it BBC Sherlock but apparently it's actually PBS?) Anyway, it's just... really good. And I've also found some wonderful smut on there from various fandoms as well >:]

I'm kind of wowed by your current reading list :P I don't do well with multiple books at once. I was reading two at once because my work outlawed phones at the register, which was how I was reading the first book... I wanted something to read at work, so I brought in a paper one, but on break and at home I finished the one on my phone. It was interesting -- not a bad experience, but not one I'm likely to intentionally repeat.

I also don't do well with leaving a book for a long time without finishing it, @Jedi Knight Muse. I have to start over if I get sidetracked from a book partway through. But that's not a typical problem for me. I read in spurts, usually. A book or series will tie up all my free time until I finish it :P And some time I shouldn't spend reading, as well, but still manage to do anyway.

I finished the Half Bad trilogy last night and started Clockwork Angel... we'll see how long it takes before this one eats up all my free time!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:25:55 PM »
So far I haven't had to start over on The Caller, which is a good thing because I'm, like, half way through the book and I don't want to even think about having to start it over.
Storms of Magic - Draft 1 FINISHED

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »
I finished the Infernal Devices trilogy (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess), and today I bought Lady Midnight (same author) and checked out The Bane Chronicles (also the same author). And I checked out the first Wheel of Time book.

But I would love to get some writing done before I get to involved in these books. It was nice getting my challenge entry written last night. I wrote it in two and a half hours, which just goes to show you what procrastination can help you accomplish :P

Elena

• Journeyman
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 02:11:54 AM »
"Go set a watchman" by Harper Lee, and I love it.
"Before the Mast" is seven years old… and counting!

After a victory a la Pyrrhus for the French Navy, our story is going on, towards a new, colonial, Caribbean Dawn.

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
Edgar Rice Burroughs's A Princess of Mars. His writing style tends to be long-winded, but I admire his affinity for world-building.
My big art thread

Also the author of the entire Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

Becca

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:24:05 AM »
I finally finished the fourth Dark Tower book, which I've been working on for over two years, so now I'm reading book five. I'm already like halfway through :)

xexes

• Journeyman
  • King Phillip
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
Reading:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Good Omens : Gaiman & Pratchett
The Way of Shadows : Brent Weeks

On my list to read:

Uprooted by Naomi Novik
The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle) by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Magicians: A Novel (Magicians Trilogy) by Lev Grossman

One of my goals was to get my list together of books I want to read and I think I feel rpetty happy about my list

Ahryantah

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »
I just started a re-read of American Gods by Neil Gaiman because of the miniseries coming up!

Harper Jean

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 02:09:39 AM »
The Serpent's Shadow - Mercedes Lackey
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
The Magicians - Lev Grossman
Foundation - Mercedes Lackey

I've been trying to read more as I have gotten out of the habit. I have a pile of books I've bought to catch up on and some of these are not easy or quick reads which are often what I have time for these days.

xexes

• Journeyman
  • King Phillip
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Star Wars: Aftermath - Life Debt by Chuck Wendig
This jumped out at me.

Chuck Wendig actually lives in my city, I was able to grab an autographed copy of Mockingbird at a used book store. I really admire his writing style and his Miriam Black series really left an impression, but as someone who struggled with soul-crushing circumstances and resulting depression, I had a hard time reading Blackbirds. Maybe in a few years I can pick it up again.

I had no idea that he wrote Star Wars stuff, I'll have to give it a try.

No One of Consequence

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
I recently read - and immediately reread - the Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan. It's set in a fantasy world in with a Napoleonic style war plus magic. I found it fascinating - one of those stories that well balances epic scope with strong characterisations.

It's great to look down this list and see so many authors that I love but who don't often get much notice on the internet, like Edgar Rice Burroughs (martian stories especially) and Mercedes Lackey. I also loved Patrick Rothfuss' first two books - but I couldn't finish The Slow Regard of Silent Things.