So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 265 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »
So glad to see the new Worldsmyths site set up at last! Let me get started on this forum by sharing one of my favorite hobbies other than writing: namely, drawing.

Most of what you see here is drawn on paper, then scanned in for digital inking and coloring in Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio). I have a whole shipload of drawings I could share here, but I'll start off with some of my recent, personal favorites.

Mansa Musa of Mali once recounted a story in which his predecessor Abubakri (or Abu Bakr II) outfitted two sailing expeditions across the Atlantic, even abdicating his throne to lead the second one personally. Abubakri was never heard from again. What if he and his Malian explorers had stumbled into the so-called "Bermuda Triangle" (if it were real) and ended up back in the Late Cretaceous Period? And what if they were to set up a permanent colony in that distant time and place?

I wanted to mix influences from ancient China and Egypt, so here's an influential Egyptian lady dressed for a visit in China. As they would say, when in China, do as the Chinese do. Or at least dress for the occasion.

"She who must be obeyed!"

I wanted to channel my inner Frank Frazetta by doodling a seductive Queen with a fearsome feline at her side. Of course, you could say that there's a little bit of a H. Rider Haggard influence here as well, what with the concept of a regal temptress in Africa.

"Ladies and gentleman, prepare to be stupefied as we present to you our Stupendous Stegosaurus!"

I don't know about you, but I would pity any stegosaur that had to perform for the circus. The clowns alone would be more abuse than any animal should be subjected to.

This Egyptian soldier is on guard duty at night. The torch will provide her with valuable warmth against the chill of a dry Egyptian night.

I've been playing the newly released game Pharaonic on Steam (think of it as an Egyptian Dark Souls), which opens with a dungeon level at night and pits your character against Egyptian guards. That put me in the mood to draw this.

Thalassa, the Lady of the Sea, dances with the mosasaurs that are her most sacred representatives. In my concept, she is the matron of an islander people called the Oceanborn, whose culture mixes Afro-Caribbean, ancient Minoan, and Greek influences. Although the Oceanborn view her as a benevolent provider for the most part, they understand she has a fearsome wrath which they try to placate with sacrificial human offerings to her mosasaurs.

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:52:49 AM »
Oh wow, these are so awesome! I love the cultural inspiration behind your drawings. You're so talented!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:02:34 AM »
....I have two words for you.

Holy. Crap.

These are amazing! Would you ever be willing to do (free) character art, should I/anyone else be looking for something like that? 'Cause daaang. XD

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »
These are amazing! Would you ever be willing to do (free) character art, should I/anyone else be looking for something like that? 'Cause daaang. XD
What kind of stuff would you like me to draw? Not sure about doing it for free most of the time, but you seem like someone I'll make an exception for.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:25:33 AM »
D'awww. :D I have no idea at the moment, 'cause I don't have anything specific in mind right now. Maybe a drawing of my character for Seer's Pawn, or something that could work as a book cover or...I dunno. I'd have to think about it (and be far more invested in the story than I currently am at the moment- meaning, I'd like to have at least 10+ chapters written before asking you to draw something for me, and I'm a long ways away from that at the moment) and see what I think i would want.

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
Some recent paleoart of mine:

So apparently paleontologists now believe that dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus rex may have had lips covering most of their teeth. I wanted to see how that would look in my style, and voila. I like how lizard-like the new look appears, almost like a Komodo dragon or iguana.

Quick before-school portrait of a Dilophosaurus wetherilli, the famous double-crested theropod from the early Jurassic. I based his spiky appearance partly off a bearded dragon which one of my male cousins kept as a pet when we were kids.

This Tyrannosaurus rex is caching away its Triceratops kill under a fallen tree, for later consumption. I got the idea after reading how certain animals will cache (or "hoard their") food away, including various bird species. Of course, a multi-ton apex predator like the T. rex would have a lot of meat per kill to hide!

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:06:43 PM »
More dinosaurs! :P I wanna see more. I love me some dinosaurs :P

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »

Back in the tropical country from whence they came, they would have kept their distance from each other. But now that they've been thrown into the captivity of an inhumane zoo, this woman has formed an unlikely bond with the Stegosaurus with whom she shares a frigid cage.

Apologies for the dour mood of this piece, but it was inspired by the old-time phenomenon of the "human zoo" where humans from across the non-Western world would be displayed in captivity like zoo animals. Sometimes they would even been housed with zoo animals to further emphasize how "uncivilized" or "subhuman" they were. It's a very depressing facet of history to read about and I wanted to capture that in this piece. When you consider that zoo enclosures use to be cold, simple cages, you really wonder how those people felt being imprisoned in there all the time while onlookers sneered at them.

What do you call a dinosaur that makes hip-hop music? A raptor, of course!

Apparently the Harry Potter fandom these days maintains that Hermione Granger is of African descent. I don't remember how she was described in the books, and truthfully the whole "racebend established characters from popular franchises" meme has gotten a bit old. But it did inspire me to draw my own character who's a student of voodoo (or more properly Vodun), much as Hermione would have studied European traditions of witchcraft and wizardry. The colors of her dress are based on those of Hermione's uniform in the movies (namely dark blue, red, and gold).

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
A couple of "ordinary citizen" character concepts from the ancient Egyptian and Malian civilizations:

Egypt

Mali

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »
And some new dino pics!

Tyrannosaurus rex

Triceratops

Spinosaurus

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 12:14:35 AM »
Every time I stop by this thread I'm wowed all over again by your talent ^^:

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:19:32 AM »
More arts! I will do more historical warriors from Africa and maybe other continents after these, but for now enjoy my Egyptian war chariot and Malian farima!

This is my concept for an Egyptian war chariot like the one the New Kingdom Pharaohs would ride into battle. Although chariot technology along with horses would be introduced into the Nile region after the Hyksos invasion of the Second Intermediate Period, the Egyptians modified the design to be faster, more mobile, and therefore better suited for their native terrain.

As for the stripes on the horses, I would say they have a little zebra added to their ancestry to make them fit the African setting better.

Concept for a farima warrior from the Empire of Mali, which dominated West Africa during the Middle Ages. The farima ("brave man") were basically the Malian answer to European knights of the time, as they were aristocratic horsemen who commanded cavalry units in the army.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 10:09:46 PM »

Concept for a Celtic warrior from ancient Western Europe, equipped with a longbow. He might be an ancestor of the famous Welsh longbowmen whose weapon would be famously incorporated into the medieval English armies.

Also, this may be one of the first times I've ever drawn a character with freckles. But seeing as I associate both freckles and the Celts with red hair, it was a logical combination.

This concept is for an ax-wielding soldier from the Shona-speaking kingdom of Great Zimbabwe which once thrived in southern Africa. In retrospect I should have made the ax bigger to make it look more prominent in the picture, but they sure have some unique ax designs in that part of the world! The rest of his attire and equipment required artistic guesswork, but I ended up drawing my influences from ancient Egyptian and Zulu cultures (the latter sharing the same Bantu linguistic heritage as the Shona).

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
Freckles rock! FYI, in my experience, freckly redheads are usually freckly pretty much all over their bodies :o

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 09:30:06 PM »

This Zimbabwean maiden has an offer you can't refuse. Or rather two offers. There's the diamonds she has in her hand, and then there's what most men would desire from a beauty like her anyway.

This is an example of artwork wherein the core idea evolved over the course of production. Originally this lady started out as some kind of priestess (or what the Shona of Zimbabwe would call a svikiro), but then I changed my mind and decided she would be offering something as a bribe. Towards the end I decided to make it look like some kind of crime/mystery novel cover.

Now that I think about it, one could probably write a decent story based on an image like this. Hmm...