So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 289 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 09:52:01 PM »
What if the ancient Egyptian civilization had developed ninjutsu? At the very least they must have had some sort of espionage to keep an eye out on enemies and potential coups against the Pharaoh.

I've been playing the game Ninja Gaiden Sigma (which is quite challenging by the way), and after flipping through the manual I learned they have these Golden Scarabs scattered around the game world. Not sure what ancient Egyptian culture is doing in a setting presumably based on feudal Japan, but I thought it was a cool combination of cultures nonetheless and so felt inspired to draw an Egyptian ninja. She could be Ryu's ancestor from centuries back.

Neviril

• Inactive Members
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »
I absolutely adore your artwork. I love your concepts and I really admire the fact that you can finish all your drawings.

I always struggle with completing anything and my drawings are forever stuck in an unfinished limbo!

I also like the fact that your drawings on its own tell a story and there's movement and details and things seem well thought out :) I will certainly keep an eye on this thread!

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
This one is a few months old, but I still adore the concept:

What if the Pharaoh Hatshepsut were into rap music and the hip-hop culture. Here she is introducing herself with a "gangsta" hand gesture (made that up, actually, but you get the idea). She is in the house, homies!

There is something about the concept of a rapping Pharaoh that I find totally dope. I think it's the seeming contradiction behind it; we expect royalty to behave all classy and associate hip-hop with lower-class communities. Yet who's to say queens can't loosen up and get down with the commoners once in a while?

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 05:45:03 AM »

Originally this character was going to be a goddess of love akin to the Greek Aphrodite or the Yoruba Oshun. But as the drawing progressed, I decided she looked even more like an old-time Disney princess who befriended small woodland creatures. Alternatively, the little dinosaur she has perched on her arm could be a hunting companion like a falcon. I think I'll leave this one open to the audience's interpretation.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »

This Chinese dude has taken a liking to an Egyptian maiden from the distant southwest. And she's reciprocating the interest of course.

I don't think there's any evidence that the ancient Egyptian and Chinese cultures even knew of one another, let alone had close relations like this. There are fringe assertions that the earliest Chinese dynasties like the Xia and Shang were founded by Africans, but personally I think such extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. But the beauty of art is that you can get away with all manner of "alternate history" scenarios like this.

Also, Asian dudes need more love.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 07:42:05 PM »

This hunter is speechless with awe at the herd of majestic Triceratops passing through the jungle. Of course, he has to hide from their sight lest they trample him.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
This is my vision of Hypatia of Alexandria (350-370 to 415 AD), a scholar and philosopher from Roman Egypt noted for her brilliance at astronomy and mathematics. And also remembered as an unfortunate casualty in a bloody political dispute between the city's governing prefect and its leading bishop. Her death has been declared everything from the end of "classical antiquity" or Hellenic intellectualism to the righteous execution of "heathen idolatry". But all hyperbole aside, there's no denying she was highly respected among her contemporaries for her shining intellect.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »

For the longest time I've had this concept of the Sun as a maternal supreme goddess who is responsible for the creation of the world (which, from a certain astronomical point of view, is true anyway). I am still very fond of that concept and want to use it in a fantasy project someday.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »

Queen Nefertiti, the consort of the infamous "Heretic" Pharaoh Akhenaten, is taking her smoke break with a nice blunt of weed. I drew the idea from the popular Fetty Wap song "Trap Queen", which is about a drug dealer's girlfriend and partner-in-crime (since a "trap" is a place where you deal drugs). Given how Nefertiti would have almost been Akhenaten's partner-in-crime during his reign, he too must have thought of her fondly as his own personal "trap queen".

And yes, the ancient Egyptians did in fact use cannabis (the marijuana plant), as indicated by numerous papyri prescribing it as medicine.

By the way, I don't smoke anything, let alone weed. I actually consider it a turnoff most of the time. But then everyone has their personal vices, even Egyptian royalty.

kherezae

• mad jack
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wattpad
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
That's so cool! Things I didn't know. (I've heard the term 'trap' hundreds of times but didn't know specifically what it referred to!) I love the history you put into your work.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »

This Egyptian scribe is recording the goods brought by a procession of merchants from afar. From left to right, his visitors are a South Sudanese dude bringing ostrich eggs, a Greek guy with a vase that's probably full of olive oil, and a West African chick bearing ingots of gold. Unfortunately for the West African lady, the Greek dude isn't the most pleasant male to stand behind in line.

Of course, I got the idea for this from various ancient Egyptian wall paintings portraying processions of foreigners (typically from the Middle East or Sudan) bringing tribute to the Pharaoh or his officials.

Many thousands of years ago off the coast of Australia, these Aboriginal hunters have decided they want something bigger on the barbie than the usual kangaroo or emu. I don't really know if Aboriginal Australians have ever been recorded hunting cetaceans, but then they've had, what, 50-60,000 years of unrecorded history? Who knows what they were doing for most of that time?

What the bloke in this picture has in his hand is a woomera, an Aboriginal form of spearthrower. It's similar to the Native American atlatl insofar as it creates an artificial extension of the human arm and allows for greater throwing distance.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »

This woman from the Natufian culture is harvesting some early wheat with her rudimentary sickle, which she has made by attaching stone bladelets to a wooden handle.

The Natufians were an Epipaleolithic culture which thrived in the Levant (Israel to Syria, in the Middle East) between 12500 and 9500 BC. They started out as hunter-gatherers living in small villages, but archaeologists believe their exploitation and cultivation of wild grains laid the foundations for the first agriculture in Western Eurasia.

Both the Natufians' material culture and certain skeletal features suggest an origin or at least influence from the African continent, and one recent study even found a preponderance of African haplogroups such as E (on the Y-chromosome) in DNA extracted from their remains. Nonetheless, their African ancestry would be carried over with the spread of agriculture into Europe and the Middle East, and to this day it can constitute up to a third of European people's ancestry. You can think of it as yet another "Out of Africa" migration into Eurasia.

My portrait of Scipio Africanus (236-183 BC), the Roman general known for his defeating Hannibal Barca of Carthage at the climactic battle of Zama.

Suppose the Walt Disney Company decided to establish another Disney theme park, but this time somewhere on the African continent. And suppose they settled on Zimbabwe, home of the namesake Great Zimbabwe ruins. They might very well decide to base their Disneyland castle on that native architecture to give it a local flavor.

Though I wonder what an African Disneyland's "Adventureland" section would look like. In the original American parks, Adventureland is based on the "exotic and faraway" lands of tropical Africa and Asia, but obviously Africa wouldn't seem so exotic to the Africans living there. So maybe an Adventureland built in Africa would be based on, say, Europe and America?

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:17 PM »

This picture is a collaboration between me and another artist named Kim Moose. She did the original pencils while I inked and colored it. However, the character for the most part is my creation.

I've decided to name her Salam, after the Proto-Semitic word meaning "peace" (it would later evolve into both the Hebrew and Arabic greeting while keeping the same meaning). Her people, known to archaeologists as the Natufians, would have migrated into the Levant from Africa around 12,500 BC, introducing the intensive harvesting of wild grains that would lay the foundations for agriculture in the Fertile Crescent (and from there to Europe).

As for Salam as a character, I want to write a short story about her soon, but I haven't decided on the right storyline yet. I aim to have to figured out by the weekend.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »

Nyarai the Muvhimi (huntress) is driving this angry bull stegosaur into the walled enclosure you see in the background. The strategy is to lure the beast into a trap and then have her hunting peers dispatch it with arrows and javelins, but it will be a task easier said than done.

Nyarai is the protagonist of a short story I wrote a couple of days ago and submitted to Clarkesworld Magazine for publication. They ended up rejecting the piece unfortunately, but there's always more fish in the sea. If not, I still have the option of self-publishing it somewhere on the Internet.

Queen Nefertari of New Kingdom Egypt is about to receive a bowl of dates from her trusty Middle Eastern maidservant.

I meant this as an inversion of the old Gone with the Wind movie from 1939, in which Hattie McDaniel played the white heroine's plump slave "Mammy". She may have won an Academy Award for her performance in that movie, but I personally feel poor McDaniel got screwed with that role. She deserved better.

briari hallow

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 10:45:05 AM »
I love this <3

Can I hit you up for tips on using digital painters/graphics tablets?

I just got one a few monthss ago, and I'm having more trouble than I thought tracing over old images and making them look alright =____=  I can only do from scratch, and even then, I'm struggling to get the effect I want.