So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 434 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2017, 02:20:52 PM »

Young Simba learns that life in the Central African jungles is not all "Hakuna Matata" when he runs into the leopard Sabor. Will his newfound warthog and meerkat adopters be enough to protect him from the Congo's apex predator?

This is a Disney crossover I've always wanted to see happen. I don't know if it ever will, but I like the idea of Tarzan and The Lion King taking place in the same universe (since they are both about talking animals in Africa).

The infamous criminal Catwoman (also known as Selina Kyle) is prowling the city of Gotham when her nemesis's distinctive signal goes up in the night sky. Now she must confront another predator of the Gotham night...

This is concept art for a possible future mod for the game Civilization VI, which implements the civilization of Kush with the fierce Queen Amanirenas as its representative leader. On the upper right corner is a simple flag design showing the Kushite civilization's symbol (which is based off the ankh of course) and colors.
My big art thread

Also the author of the entire Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

Amblygon

• Novice
  • Kris
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2017, 06:00:21 PM »
Wow, your art is amazing! It's so inspiring to see someone who produces so much art! (:

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »
Wow, your art is amazing! It's so inspiring to see someone who produces so much art! (:
Thank you! :)

This huntress has heard the subtle crack of a twig with her keen hearing. It might be nothing more than a random falling branch, or it could be a hungry dinosaur prowling through the jungle. Either way, she has to be alert and ready at all times.

I wanted to do another "jungle girl" picture after listening to the music track "Jungle Girl" by Brandon and Derek Fiechter on Youtube. I strongly encourage you to check out these guys' Youtube channel if you like listening to music with different cultural inspirations.

This came to mind after watching a Youtube review of the 1940s film Casablanca (set in the Moroccan city of the same name). I dunno if there were many African-American female visitors to Casablanca at that time, but the movie does have an African-American male supporting character named Sam who works as a pianist, so maybe it's not too far-fetched either. Also, I had to work through a small creative block.

Stegosaurus ungulatus suns itself on a beach during the Jurassic period. As of now there are three recognized species of the Stegosaurus genus: S. ungulatus, S. stenops, and S. sulcatus. Of the three, I would say Stegosaurus ungulatus is my favorite since it's the biggest, and therefore most impressive-looking in my personal opinion.

My big art thread

« Reply #273 on: June 03, 2017, 12:30:40 AM »
Great job!😀

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #274 on: June 04, 2017, 10:28:09 PM »
Great job!😀
Thanks! :)

This is a doodle of an African swordswoman character, with strong Egyptian and Kushite influences in her design (the sword she's carrying is called a khopesh). I wanted to draw a swordswoman like this after seeing the new Wonder Woman movie, but I chose to make her a character of my own creation rather than actually having her be Wonder Woman (though I am aware that, in the comics, Wonder Woman had an African twin sister named Nubia). Drawing racebent versions of established characters can be fun, but in the end you can do so much more with your own characters than someone else's.

This is my reconstruction of a prehistoric North African huntsman, based on rock paintings found in the Libyan desert. These paintings probably date anywhere between 7500 and 3000 BC, when the Sahara was a grassy savanna that received seasonal rainfall rather than a desert, allowing an abundance of human and animal inhabitants. The human subjects they depict would probably go on to settle in the Nile Valley and lay the foundations for the great Egyptian and Nubian civilizations.

This Egyptian queen is wearing a linen shawl so thin it's practically translucent. I was originally going to keep this hidden in my sketchbook as it's an unremarkable portrait otherwise, but I still like how the shawl's see-through effect came out.

An Allosaurus gorges on a bloody midnight snack in the darkness of the Jurassic night.

This is actually "vent art" that I drew after my mind wandered into one of its angry states, which happens at least once a day with me. Sometimes I'm pissed off at the world and all the bullshit festering it, other times it's directed at individuals who've personally hurt me in some way. And the most frustrating thing about it is that I'm powerless to do anything about it, or at least I can't do anything about it without lashing out and turning into a monster myself. I still don't know how to cope with this darkness that poisons my soul, but this kind of art is one way I can express it.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »

This is the penciled version of my African swordswoman doodle. It started as sketchy line art which I scanned in for digital inking and coloring, but then I returned to the original line art and shaded it in the old-fashioned way. Personally I think digital coloring tends to imbue the subject with extra life (especially if they have a lot of jewelry and patterned clothing on), but pencil shading can be a fun way to pass the time, and I really like how my characters' skin comes out once I go over it with a blending stump.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

This is another drawing of my African swordswoman, done from a different angle than the last. Now you know what the front of her shield looks like (it's supposed to be giraffe hide)!

This girl's facial markings are based off one of the Pwo (female ancestor) masks made by the Chokwe people of Angola, Congo, and Zambia. I believe in many cases the designs inscribed on Central African masks are supposed to represent scarifications and other markings that women in the region have traditionally worn for beautification.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »

Ahmanet attacks!

The new Mummy reboot is coming out this Friday (6/9/17). It doesn't look like it's going to be all that good judging from the early critical reviews, but the news made me want to digitally color my earlier "redesign" of its titular antagonist Ahmanet.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #278 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:50 PM »

I'm personally very fond of this character's design (her attire and equipment are influenced by the ancient Egyptian and Kushite cultures), but I have neither a name nor a story for her. She came to mind after I saw the recent Wonder Woman movie, which made me want to draw a warrior woman with a sword. Unfortunately it's very often that I design a character whom I think looks real cool, but then I can't make up my mind of what to do with her.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #279 on: June 09, 2017, 02:46:36 AM »

I think this Tyrannosaurus rex is eyeing you with curiosity now that you've entered his Cretaceous kingdom. You better hope he's uncommonly hospitable for his species (or, if he isn't, you're fast enough to get away in time).
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

This is concept art for a character named Hoshea of Israel, the protagonist of a short historical fiction I recently wrote. He's much more anti-heroic than what I usually work with, but he has understandable reasons for his agenda. His tribe recently suffered a massacre and mass enslavement at the hands of the Crown Prince of Egypt, and he wants to strike the same terror into the Egyptians' hearts even if he gets himself killed in the process. You could say he's an ancient-era precursor to the modern suicide bomber, even though his religion is early Jewish rather than Islamic.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
And this is the Crown Prince of Egypt whom Hoshea opposes...
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #282 on: June 14, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

In ancient Greek legends, the Macrobians were a people living somewhere to the far southern reaches of the world, who stood out due to their remarkable longevity (up to 120 years). They were also considered the tallest and most attractive of all human beings, and they apparently had so much gold in their land that they even made their prisoners' chains from gold. Sources disagree on the Macrobians' exact location, with some identifying it with Somalia or India. However, other writers position the Macrobian homeland further west, in the region south of the Pillars of Heracles (also known as the Straits of Gibraltar). For my portrayal I chose this latter interpretation of the Macrobians as a West African people. The markings on this girl's face are based off an African mask representing a female character.

Two priests from conflicting cultures, one Greek and the other Egyptian, try to convert the other to their own civilization. Will one of them succeed, or will their efforts cancel each other out?

This is my little celebration of the upcoming remastered edition of the first Age of Empires game which will be coming out shortly. I am disappointed that they're releasing it only on Windows Store rather than Steam (my preferred platform), but it probably won't be that big a deal for me. I am still looking forward to playing it, especially since they seem to have updated the gameplay mechanics in addition to the graphics.

In the original Age of Empires (as well as its medieval sequel Age of Empires II: Age of Kings), although the different civilizations had distinctive building styles, their units nonetheless looked all the same regardless of culture (due to time or resource constraints, I presume). I don't know if the remastered addition is going to inject any cultural or racial diversity into the unit graphics, but I would appreciate it if it does.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »

This is a character concept I've drawn as part of an assignment for one of my game design classes. We're learning storytelling for games this term, and for the current assignment we're supposed to do concept art for one of the characters from our hypothetical games. This character would be a warrior princess who has to unite the disparate chiefdoms of her jungle homeland against industrial-tech invaders, braving dinosaurs and numerous other perils along the way. Her game would probably be an open-world action RPG roughly similar to Skyrim or Far Cry: Primal.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »

The saber-toothed cat Smilodon fatalis prowls a forest of giant sequoia trees in prehistoric California. It's not a backdrop you often see in sabertooth art, but since we know that Smilodon populations lived in California, I think it plausible some some might have hunted around the state's famous redwood trees.

This is a portrait of the princess Amenirdis, who was a daughter of King Kashta of Kush. After her brother Pitye conquered Egypt, she served as a God's Wife of Amun (the highest rank of priestess) between 714 and 700 BC. She was actually the first of two Kushite high priestesses to have the name Amenirdis, the second one being her niece Shepenupet's own niece.

This is one of those portraits I started out drawing before I knew who it was going to be in the end. That happens to me quite often, actually; I'll set out to draw a random woman before I settle on a particular theme or identity for her. However, this time I was inspired by the gorgeous South Sudanese model Nyakim Gatwech (queenkim_nyakim on Instagram), even if the resemblance between her and my portrayal of Amenirdis might not appear so obvious now.
My big art thread