So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 579 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #480 on: December 31, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »

The matriarch of a jungle empire stands with pride atop a high platform with her tame T. rex. Because few steeds are more fit for a jungle queen than the tyrant king of the dinosaurs himself.
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #481 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »

Film producer Barbara Broccoli recently suggested that the next actor to play the character of James Bond could be a woman, or alternatively a black man. I thought, "Why couldn't we have a Bond who was both black and female?" And so my design for "Jane Bond" was born. Of course, the Afro was inspired by a character from the old Bond films played by Gloria Hendry.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #482 on: January 05, 2018, 12:14:40 AM »

I'm having more fun with my theme of girls with their tame dinosaurs. This one's riding her Triceratops through the jungles of her domain, armed with her spear (in addition to her steed's three horns, of course).

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #483 on: January 07, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »

This is the first of two commissioned pieces I'm doing for one of my cousin, who wanted illustrations of the Hawaiian goddesses Pele and Poli’ahu. Pele is well known as the Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes and fire, whereas Poli'ahu was the goddess of snow (and a fierce rival of Pele's according to legend). Stay tuned for Poli'ahu tomorrow!

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #484 on: January 08, 2018, 01:35:03 AM »

Somewhere around 5000 BC, a Neolithic woman on the African coast gazes at the Rock of Gibraltar across the strait. One time, while my family and I were vacationing in Spain, we visited Gibraltar on the country's southernmost tip and could see the African continent from its summit. Of course, northernmost Africa has become thoroughly assimilated into the Arab/Islamic and Mediterranean spheres of influence, but this woman would represent one of various indigenous peoples in the region during earlier times.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »

These are portraits of the first two individuals in recorded history to establish extensive nation-states, or what we may call empires. The darker-skinned dude on the left is Narmer, a monarchic chieftain from southern Egypt who conquered the north around 3100 BC and brought about the first dynasty of a united Egypt. On the right is Sargon of Akkad, who conquered the Sumerian city-states of Mesopotamia and brought much of the Middle East's Fertile Crescent under his control between 2334 and 2279 BC. It's hard to say whether Sargon knew anything about Narmer's conquests before undertaking his own, but I personally find the thought very tempting.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #486 on: January 11, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »

This T. rex portrait is based on the specimen MB.R.91216, which is on display in Berlin's Natural History Museum after its excavation in Montana's Hell Creek formation. Nicknamed "Tristan Otto" (or simply "Tristan"), the specimen has recently appeared the BBC documentary The Real T. rex with Chris Packham (although I can't say I'm a fan of how they portrayed the animal).

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #487 on: January 13, 2018, 02:20:27 PM »

This is a portrait bust of an original character of mine named Queen Rashekhu of Djakhem. She's the protagonist of a short story I'm working on, wherein she leads her army to battle against the forces of a rival kingdom. Oh, and she rides a tame Tyrannosaurus rex named Apekhuri.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #488 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:14 PM »

This is concept art for Apekhuri, the tame Tyrannosaurus rex whom my original character, Queen Rasekhu of Djakhem, rides into battle. The curved structure strapped to his neck is the Queen's saddle. Some of the inspiration for Apekhuri's jewelry comes from the "Carnosaur" trained by the Lizardmen in the game Total War: Warhammer II.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »

This is my reconstruction of a Homo sapiens individual from 36,000 years ago, whose skull was uncovered near the town of Hofmeyr in South Africa. One remarkable finding is that this skull's morphology is distinct from that of the region's modern Bantu- and Khoisan-speaking inhabitants, but resembles that of Upper Paleolithic skulls from Europe. Therefore, it's likely that this guy was somehow related to the Northeast African population from whom all modern humans outside of Africa splintered off between 70-50,000 years ago.

This woman is a shaman from the Natufian culture, which occupied the Levantine region of the Middle East between 14-11,000 years ago. They would have lived as hunter-gatherers, but they appear to have settled down and built permanent villages instead of roaming the land as nomads, and they most probably were among the forerunners to the region's earliest farmers. The woman's "headband" is actually made of dentalium shells strung together, and the beads of her necklace would have been fashioned from bones and animal teeth; both are based on Natufian jewelry recovered from the site of El Wad in what is now Israel.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

If Jesus of Nazareth were a real historical figure, I like to imagine that he would have looked something like this. This isn't the first time I've drawn a portrait of Jesus, but it's a subject I like to return to every once in a while as my drawing style evolves. Here, I've chosen to depict him as a man of predominantly Palestinian Jewish heritage, but with a suggestion of African ancestry. Since the region of Palestine (which includes modern Israel as well as the West Bank and Gaza) is right next door to Africa, it seems likely that the Hebrews and other Semitic natives of the area would have admixed with African peoples such as the ancient Egyptians and Kushites. Indeed, up to 20% of Palestinian men (and 30% of Jewish men around the world) have the African Y-chromosomal haplogroup E. As for Jesus's turban here, it's speculative on my part, but something like it might have come in handy for a busy carpenter sweating under the desert sun.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »

Horemheb, who reigned from 1319 to 1292 BC, was the last Pharaoh of Egypt's 18th dynasty. But before then, he was a soldier of common birth who became the military commander-in-chief during the reigns of his predecessors Tutankhamun and Ay. Upon seizing Ay's throne for himself, Horemheb set out to erase mention of the weaker kings before him from official records, revive the country's deteriorated strength, and restore the traditional Egyptian religion in place of Akhenaten's "heretical" cult of Aten. You could say he wanted to "make Egypt great again".

This would be Horemheb while he was still a general. I'm not entirely happy with how the proportions of his figure came out, but I rather like his dreadlocks.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #492 on: January 16, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »

It's been a while since I posted a shaded-in pencil drawing anywhere on social media. This one is a bust of a Kushite queen, modeled after a gorgeous South Sudanese model named Angeth Thiong Akur ("agiakur" on Instagram). Although Kush was located in what is now North rather than South Sudan, cute South Sudanese girls always remind me of Kushite queens.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #493 on: January 16, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »

This is based on wall paintings from the tomb of the Egyptian Queen Nefertari (labeled Tomb QV66), which show her raising her arms up with open palms in adoration of the gods. However, my main reason for doing this was to practice coloring an African person's palms accurately. If you look at the palms and soles of African and other darker-skinned people, you'll notice they always have this distinctively paler, pinkish color. I say it's time I stopped neglecting this when coloring my non-European characters.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #494 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »

Everybody's favorite Ptolemaic Queen of Egypt, Cleopatra VII, now in an experimental cartoon style. Here I wanted to channel comic book artist and animator Bruce Timm, who's famous for his work on the cartoons of the DC animated universe.

My big art thread