Worldsmyths

So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #570 on: August 18, 2018, 01:04:27 PM
And now for some illustrations pertinent to my current "alternate history" WIP, Skyfire!

First is our leading lady, the Egyptian priestess Itaweret (formerly named Khenmet, but I changed it because it was too similar to Kemet, the Egyptians' native name for their own country)...

This is a portrait of her companion and BFF, Sennuwy:

Here is Philos, a rural shepherd of Greek heritage who joins Itaweret and Sennuwy on their quest. Also, he has a pet Megantereon (an Old World relative of the saber-toothed cat Smilodon)

And then we have our villain, the Mycenaean warrior king Scylax:

A drawing of Dedenu, Itaweret and Sennuwy's hometown, which is an Egyptian colony on the Greek coast:

Finally, here is a map of the story's setting:
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #571 on: August 26, 2018, 02:57:16 PM

I don’t have a name or story for this random character concept yet, but she was fun as hell to design once I settled on a look for her. The scaly dinosaur-hide shield she has ended up looking a bit like the face of a mythological dragon, or maybe a ceratopsian like Chasmosaurus or Styracosaurus. I have no idea how practical that shield design or her spear would be in actual battle, but the Rule of Cool is irresistible when it comes to drawing fantasy characters.

After probing around for treasure among some ruins in the jungle, this adventurer has stumbled upon an angry python. Now she’ll understand how Indiana Jones feels about snakes!

An Egyptian military commander urges his men to persevere on their march through the desert beyond their riverside homeland. But if you had to hike through an arid landscape while withstanding temperatures in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit, you’d feel exhausted and thirsty too. So can you blame these soldiers for their weathered morale?

On the rocks in this scene, you can see some petroglyphs dating to Egypt’s predynastic period (which ended around 3100 BC), back when the country was still a grassy savanna like you might find in more southerly areas of Africa today.

Quick pencil doodle of Dilophosaurus wetherilli, a theropod dinosaur from the Early Jurassic around 193 million years ago. There’s no evidence that this animal had a frill or could spit venom as portrayed in the Jurassic Park franchise, but it would have still been quite a powerful predator for its time (it weighed in around 400 kg, or 880 lbs).

My big art thread

MarthaBechtel

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Tales From a Messy Workbench
Reply #572 on: August 26, 2018, 03:59:38 PM
These are pretty awesome! :D I love the art growth you show in the thread and the character designs are a lot of fun! (And gotta love the dinos!  8) )
www.Martha.net - Where the madness happens! :D

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #573 on: August 31, 2018, 05:10:53 PM
These are pretty awesome! :D I love the art growth you show in the thread and the character designs are a lot of fun! (And gotta love the dinos!  8) )
Thanks!

This sketchbook doodle stars Albertosaurus sarcophagus, a smaller and nimbler cousin of the Tyrannosaurus rex which sprinted through the subtropical forests of Canada around 70 million years ago. It was even more closely related to another tyrannosaurid named Gorgosaurus libratus, which in fact has sometimes been subsumed into the Albertosaurus genus as well. Both of these dinosaurs would have been relatively lightly built and long-legged, granting them superior speed in contrast to the much more powerful T. rex.

This is Mut, an Egyptian goddess who was the consort (or “wife”) of the creator deity Amun beginning in the Middle Kingdom. In artistic representations, she commonly wore the double crown of northern and southern Egypt on top of a gold vulture headdress (the same kind of headdress that Queen Nefertari, wife of Ramses II, is known for wearing).

Despite not drawing them often, I’ve always had a small affectionate spot for gorillas. They’re our second-closest relatives after chimpanzees and bonobos, yet are said to have gentler temperaments. They are still quite intelligent animals though, and some have even been taught sign language. Anyway, the ruined obelisk behind him is supposed to commemorate a queen from some (heretofore undiscovered) ancient civilization in the Congo jungles, a bit like the lost city of Zinj from Michael Crichton’s Congo.

Triceratops is mad as hell, and he’s not going to take it anymore!

I can’t be the only one out there who has observed that the fossil skulls of ceratopsian dinosaurs, such as the famous Triceratops, often have large big nasal openings. I hypothesize in this sketch that these might have allowed for inflatable sacs behind the nostrils that would have helped amplify the animals’ calls. If so, I wouldn’t like to be standing next to a ranting trike!

This is a doodle I did in my sketchbook while waiting for my dad to finish a meeting. The character was originally going to be a generic archer babe, but later I settled on a Kushite nationality for her and giving her a pet Velociraptor (maybe like a feathered saurian bloodhound?). Of course, Velociraptor had gone extinct millions of years before the kingdom of Kush arose, but you can do anything in fantasy. The Rule of Cool shall always rule!

Sekhmet, the Egyptian goddess of war, wades through the blood of her enemies with the flames of her destructive wrath blazing behind her.

The biggest challenge with this piece was placing the shading, since the light source was coming from behind the character rather than shining onto one side. In the end I figured that, since the light would be “flowing” past her one both sides, the highlighted areas would be on the sides while the shaded areas would be in the middle. It’s quite a different look from what I’m used to, but I suppose that’s good for artistic variety.

Ma’at, the Egyptian personification of truth and justice, holds a scale balancing a feather against a human heart. The Egyptians believed that, if the feather outweighed the heart of a deceased person after they recounted the rights and wrongs they had committed in life, they would be proven truthful and so go on to enjoy the afterlife. If they lied, the heart would outweigh the feather and so would be eaten by the crocodile-headed monster Ammut while the deceased spirit perished for eternity.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #574 on: September 02, 2018, 05:36:00 PM

I watched a recorded episode of the old Disney cartoon series “The Legend of Tarzan” (a spin-off of their Tarzan movie) and I wanted to draw a couple of Egyptian characters in the style of the show’s African characters. If you want to look it up on Youtube, the episode’s title is “Tarzan and the Eagle’s Feather”, and it’s about Tarzan helping an African prince named Basuli obtain an eagle’s feather as part of a marriage rite. Of course, Basuli’s love interest is quite attractively designed in my humble opinion.

This is my interpretation of Prince Rama and his princess Sita, the leading man and lady from the ancient Hindu epic known as the Ramayana. While most illustrations portraying these characters portray them as pale-skinned with “Caucasoid” northern Indian features, I opted instead for a darker brown “Australoid” phenotype like that of the Indian subcontinent’s aboriginal inhabitants prior to the influx of Aryan/Indo-Iranian tribes after 1500 BC. I believe it would have been these dark-skinned natives who erected the foundations of India’s urban civilization in the Indus Valley starting in 3300 BC.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #575 on: September 07, 2018, 12:59:24 PM

After seeing the movie BlacKkKlansman (which I liked, by the way), I simply felt like doodling a babe with an Afro like many of the film’s African-American characters. They really need to make Afros fashionable again.

Underneath the treetop canopy of a Late Cretaceous forest around 68 million years ago, an arboreal dromaeosaurid perches on a gnarled tree bough. In the background, the heads of two sauropods of the species Alamosaurus sanjuanensis poke up from the understory further below.

The raptor here is a fictional species of my own creation, though it would not surprise me if such a tree-dwelling dinosaur did turn up in the fossil record sooner or later.

It occurred to me that the traditional Egyptian bread, which is flat in shape, resembles a Western-style pizza crust without any cheese or other toppings on it. In which case, why doesn’t someone out there (who would presumably possess way more money and business acumen than I do) open a pizza chain using Egyptian-style bread as the crust? They could call the chain “Pizza Pharaoh” and use a logo like the one I have designed here. Heck, they could even theme the restaurants using Egyptian architecture and artifacts. I’d certainly eat at a place like that!

I hatched the concept for this after realizing that the age of blaxploitation films overlaps with that of various prehistoric fantasy and sci-fi films (e.g. When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth and Planet of Dinosaurs). What if somebody back in the 1970s had combined the two genres and make a prehistoric blaxploitation movie with Ray Harryhausen-style dinosaurs and foxy cavegirls with Afros? I’d certainly watch that!

Here’s a little doodle Cleopatra VII, the last Queen of Egypt, with an Afro. It may not be the likeliest hairstyle for a Ptolemaic-era queen to wear (although the hairstyle was not totally unknown in ancient Egypt as some artifacts show), but I’ve been on an Afro kick this week. Additionally, it sorta channels the famous blaxploitation character Cleopatra Jones.

Drawing the facial portrait of Tyrannosaurus rex, last of the great reptiles and the king of them all, will never get old for me.

This time, however, I wanted to show the “cracked”, crocodile-like texture of the facial skin as indicated by the research of paleontologist Thomas Carr. Other theropod dinosaurs such as Neovenator and Spinosaurus appear to have possessed similar facial integument, so I am inclined to think that it was a common dinosaurian trait that may have been inherited from the common ancestor of dinosaurs and crocodilians.

By the way, those dots on the face are supposed to represent tiny bump-like sensory organs for enhanced sensitivity.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #576 on: September 09, 2018, 08:56:22 PM

I feel that I need more practice with architecture so that I can better capture the grandeur of Egyptian and other African civilizations in my artwork. To get started with that, here’s an Egyptian interior scene that leads to an open doorway to the outside.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #577 on: September 16, 2018, 05:00:06 PM

With Pamela Anderson and David Hasselhoff having grown a bit long in the tooth (no offense to either), they needed a new lifeguard  to keep an eye on the Californian beaches. Not only will she keep the seashore safe, she’ll also greatly improve the scenery. Oh, and she likes to play volleyball between shifts.

Sent from elsewhere in the galaxy, an exploratory probe hovers over a newly discovered world teeming with a rich diversity exotic lifeforms. The difficulty will come in once they try to bring in samples for further study…

This is a digital painting I did in Clip Studio Paint over my earlier drawing of a T. rex‘s head. Whenever I try to do one of these digital painting-type of artworks, it always ends up looking muddier than the rest of my art. Nonetheless, it’s always good to experiment in a different style every once in a while.

Nefertari, the Egyptian Queen who was married to Pharaoh Ramses II, looks all skeptical and sassy. Drawn in my more cartoon-like style.

This would be a simple sketchbook doodle of an ancient Egyptian commoner’s hut as seen from a bird’s eye perspective. It kinda looks like something you would see in an old-school real-time strategy game, which was my intention.

If I had to redesign the look of the “Velociraptors” in the Jurassic Park films to look more scientifically accurate, it would come out like this. The big changes you will notice here are the addition of bird-like feathers and the removal of the original raptors’ lizard-like lips in favor of the lipless crocodilian look. The color scheme here is based on the male raptors in the sequel The Lost World: Jurassic Park, which is my personal favorite color scheme for the franchise’s raptors (I really wish they kept it in the subsequent films).

A young woman climbs into the branches above the jungle canopy while a Pteranodon soars overhead in the distance. Our heroine sure has found herself a nice view up here!

You might recall that this is the same foxy jungle girl I created for my “Soul Age” poster a short while back. I was simply so enamored of that character’s design that I wanted to draw her again (albeit with a few tweaks, such as the ritual scarification on her right thigh).

This is my interpretation of Neith, an ancient Egyptian goddess of hunting and war as well as weaving. You could say she was an Egyptian analog to the Greek Athena and Artemis rolled into one being. Indeed, a few scholars such as Martin Bernal have suggested that Neith inspired the Greek myths about Athena, especially since Athena was sometimes said to have been born on the African continent (which the Greeks called “Libya”). I do not know if this is the scholarly consensus though.

As a goddess, Neith was commonly associated with the northern part of Egypt (called Lower Egypt since it was further down the Nile than the south), which is why I have colored her with slightly lighter skin than my other Egyptian characters (since northern Egyptians would have presumably intermixed more with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean people compared with their southern compatriots). However, she did have a cult center in what is now Esna in Upper Egypt, south of Luxor.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:09:34 PM by Tyrannohotep »

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #578 on: September 23, 2018, 09:31:15 AM

Meet Charlotte Elanora, the protagonist of a short sci-fi-ish story I recently finished. She’s an Australian chick of Aboriginal heritage who travels back in time and captures dinosaurs for a living. In the story I wrote with her, she’s been assigned as the primary caretaker of a Brontosaurus named Big Ben, who is being exhibited at a corporately-owned museum designed to promote a controversial new oil pipeline in Texas. When Big Ben escapes as dinosaurs in captivity are wont to do, Elanora is the one who has to track and recapture him using her tranquilizer rifle.

And this would be Big Ben himself (the scars on his left thigh are from an Allosaurus attack):

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #579 on: September 25, 2018, 08:07:39 AM

Cleopatra VII, the last Queen of Ptolemaic Egypt, prepares for an upcoming war by striping and spotting her face with ritual paint. Maybe what she’s gearing up for is the Battle of Actium in 31 BC, where her fleet and that of Mark Antony will clash with Octavian’s.

This is a colored redrawing of a sketchbook doodle I did about a year ago. While the scenario depicted may not be the most probable one historically (as far as I know, historical sources from Cleopatra’s time do not portray her as the sort of warrior queen who would fight beside her troops in battle), I thought it was still a cool concept worthy of illustration.

I did this as a little birthday gift for a social-media buddy of mine. It’s supposed to be a large Egyptian sphinx, complete with a covering of paint like the real Great Sphinx of Giza would have had when it was first completed during the reign of the Old Kingdom Pharaoh Khafre (2558-2532 BC).

Somewhere deep in the African Congo in ancient times, the fabulous young Queen of Ophir sits on her throne, accompanied by two fan-bearing guards.

Ophir is a region named in the Bible as sending tribute such as gold, silver, ivory, and primates over to King Solomon of Israel. Ophir’s exact location (assuming it was a real place at all) remains unknown. It could have been the Indian subcontinent, or it might have been somewhere in Africa as I have chosen to portray here. One Portuguese writer who accompanied Vasco da Gama opined that Ophir was none other than the kingdom of Great Zimbabwe, although archaeologists now believe Great Zimbabwe came into being during the Middle Ages long after Biblical times.

A newlywed Arab couple enjoys the balmy weather and verdant vistas of the Salahah plain along the coast of southern Oman. This small region of the Arabian peninsula is unique for its humid monsoonal climate, which supports a profusion of lush greenery during the summer monsoon season (or khareef as the local people call it in Arabic). It is one of few areas in the entire Middle East where coconut palm trees can grow (elsewhere, the palm trees you see are usually of the date variety).

This is a drawing I did on 11×17” Bristol paper, which depicts the ruins of a lost civilization deep in the rainforests of Central Africa’s Congo Basin. The civilization in question is my fictional invention, of course, but I imagine it would have been built ~3,000 years ago by a Bantu-speaking people who had commercial and cultural links with the ancient Egyptians and Kushites.

By the way, that big gemstone atop the obelisk near the upper left corner is supposed to be a really big diamond.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #580 on: October 12, 2018, 12:24:36 AM
So before NaNoWriMo comes around, here's some art for a smaller project I will be working on to exercise my writing muscle. The story is basically about ancient-era pirates in the Red Sea.

This is my map of the setting. All the locations named here are real, except the Kushite port labeled “Suqen” is my fictional renaming of a real Sudanese port named Suakin (the reason being that “Suqen” sounded more Kushite to me).

This is my protagonist, Nensela. She is the admiral of the Kushite navy, meaning she's responsible for protecting Kush's northeastern coast along the Red Sea. Ever since she lost her younger brother Akhraten in a pirate raid, she's held a deep hatred for the thieving sea devils. Her story opens with her hunting down the ringleader of a particularly notorious pirate fleet known as the Sea Scorpions, but eventually she will find out what really happened to her brother...

And this is my antagonist, Yasmina bint Faruq. She was born to the Emir of Jizan, a small port town along the southwest coast of Arabia, but rebelled against her father’s authority by running away and turning pirate. Now she has slashed and butchered her way to commanding the Sea Scorpions, the most formidable fleet of corsairs in the entire Red Sea.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #581 on: October 18, 2018, 08:24:39 PM

Triumphant over its prey, the tyrant of the jungle roars to scare away any competition. Only the bravest scavengers—or the stealthiest and most cunning—would dare steal from its hard-earned spoils!

This is supposed to be more of a fantasy illustration, so I went full “awesomebro” with my design of the tyrannosaur and all the other creatures. And since it would make it even more awesome, I couldn’t resist adding a female human character to the cast! :D

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #582 on: October 22, 2018, 08:39:17 PM

This fantasy warrior babe started off as another random sketchbook doodle before I brought her to life with shading. Fantasy characters like her can be fun to design because you get to mix together influences from different cultural and historical sources (as well as sources from other places) to create something truly unique.

A rural Egyptian couple admires the wonders of their native civilization along the Nile River. For it is the mighty Nile that has always sustained the people of Egypt more than any other geographic feature in their country. It was at once their main source of drinking water and fertility for their farms, their most important lane of transportation, and a corridor of commerce and cultural influence linking the African interior to the Mediterranean basin and beyond. The history not only of Egypt but of the world would have turned out quite different without the Nile.

This is a map of a fantasy world I’m calling Orundus. I haven’t written down any place labels on it yet, as my focus was on the natural terrain, but you should be able to guess which landmasses from our world inspired the ones here. I created the mountain, hill, and vegetation brushes myself in Clip Studio Paint.

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #583 on: October 28, 2018, 03:23:50 PM
A few sketchbook doodles of hot babes, because I've been having those on the mind lately...

What started off as simple practice of a walking pose became a babe from sometime in the distant future. I don’t normally draw futuristic characters like this, but I had a blast designing her attire to show my vision of how fashion might evolve in the world of tomorrow.

I drew this bust of a Kentake (Queen) of ancient Kush using a charcoal pencil. I don’t normally use charcoal for artwork since it’s a very messy medium, but this ended up looking a lot better than I had anticipated. I might do more of these charcoal drawings in the future.

As an aside, while we tend to refer to the people of Kush as “Nubian” since their kingdom covered the region of the Nile Valley now called Nubia, they would have technically been a different ethnic group from modern Nubians. The primary ancestors of modern Nubian people, such as the Noba and Makorae, would have colonized the middle Nile region from further west after the kingdom of Kush collapsed in the 4th century AD (though there must have still been some intermixture between these incomers and the indigenous Kushite population).

EDIT:
More fun with charcoal, this time with an Egyptian chick as my subject:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:52:49 PM by Tyrannohotep »

My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #584 on: November 02, 2018, 12:51:50 PM

'Tis another sketchbook doodle of Itaweret, an Egyptian priestess character whom I created about a month or two ago. She is the protagonist of an alternate-history story I am writing about ancient Egyptians colonizing Greece, which was inspired by certain Greek legends. I've decided to promote the story to being my NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) project this year.

Back in the earliest days of the human species, the rainy season is about to descend upon the plains of Africa. Within a sacred circle of megaliths, this tribal priestess is performing a rite to placate the capricious deity of lightning and thunder.

Credit for this artwork’s inspiration goes to the music track “Thundertribe” by the pseudonymous artist Paleowolf, whose thematic specialty is music based on prehistoric times.

This is a digitally painted bust of a Geosternbergia sternbergi, a pterosaur closely related to the Pteranodon which would have flown over North America during the Late Cretaceous around 88 to 80 million years ago. Like all pterosaurs, the body of Geosternbergia would have most likely been covered with a fuzzy coat of filaments called pycnofibers, whereas a sheath of hard keratin would have covered its beak like a bird.

When coloring my take on the animal, I wanted it to be evocative of a modern toucan.

My big art thread