Worldsmyths

So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #585 on: November 04, 2018, 03:02:11 PM

Scylax, the warrior king of Mycenae, is seeking the Egyptian priestess Itaweret’s hand in marriage. Now, common sense would dictate that you should never tell a black woman she is an “exotic beauty”, but suffice to say Scylax’s ego exceeds his common sense.

This, by the way, is a little illustration of a scene I wrote for my NaNoWriMo project, which is an alternate history/fantasy sort of story set in the Bronze Age. Itaweret will be my protagonist and Scylax the main antagonist.

Dragons may not be what I usually draw, but I would be lying if I said that designing my own take on a dragon wasn’t a fun challenge. I wanted this one to look like it could be descended from monitor lizards (the group of lizards that Komodo dragons belong to) that evolved the ability to fly.

It’s a clash of cultures as a warrior from ancient Egypt, armed with a bronze-headed mace, fights a Mycenaean Greek hoplite. This of course was inspired by my current NaNoWrimo project, which features a conflict between the Mycenaean civilization and Egyptian colonists.

By the way, the ancient Mycenaeans apparently had the funkiest shield designs. Their shields would have been shaped like two domes of cowhide conjoined together like our numeral for eight, hence why they’re sometimes called “figure-8 shields” by archaeologists.
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
Reply #586 on: November 11, 2018, 09:23:00 PM
Couple of Egyptian goddess portraits I did, depicting Sekhmet and Bastet from top to bottom, respectively:

Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!