So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 265 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »
When I was at my parents' house for Mother's Day this year, I found this old character concept of mine in a drawer and wanted to redraw her. I remember that she was this African warrior chick who was going to fight Nazi invaders during the 1940s, but I never did settle on a name for her. Nonetheless, I liked the design too much not to salvage it.

I love the design! But I also love the concept. Go African warrior chick. I'd love to see her taking on the technology and advanced weaponry with her guts and her arrows. She looks badass!
Thank you again. I must admit that I was a bit stumped on how someone could take on Nazis (with all their advanced 1940s technology) using bows and arrows. But give me some time to brainstorm...

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »
When I was at my parents' house for Mother's Day this year, I found this old character concept of mine in a drawer and wanted to redraw her. I remember that she was this African warrior chick who was going to fight Nazi invaders during the 1940s, but I never did settle on a name for her. Nonetheless, I liked the design too much not to salvage it.

I love the design! But I also love the concept. Go African warrior chick. I'd love to see her taking on the technology and advanced weaponry with her guts and her arrows. She looks badass!
Thank you again. I must admit that I was a bit stumped on how someone could take on Nazis (with all their advanced 1940s technology) using bows and arrows. But give me some time to brainstorm...
I'm sure it can be done!
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
Speaking of her...

This young warrior comes from a kingdom of great antiquity hidden within the Sahara Desert of Libya. When the Nazis come knocking on their door in 1940,seeking their most treasured possessions,  it is she who must defend her people with all the courage and ferocity she can muster.

As of now I don't have a name for the character (or her kingdom) yet, but I imagine her people speak a Nilo-Saharan language related to those of Chad, South Sudan, and parts of East Africa. They would essentially descend from Nilo-Saharan peoples who moved into the Sahara when it became a grassland between 7500 and 3000 BC.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »

So my African archer heroine finally has a name!

Kwaje's homeland is the lost civilization of Phut, located in a secluded oasis within the Sahara Desert in Libya. She is a recent graduate into an order of warriors known as the Guardians of Phut, who must protect their kingdom and its treasures from any invaders and interlopers. Although her training has sculpted her into a sharpshooting and stealthy archer, Kwaje's impulsive eagerness to distinguish herself as a warrior has tended to throw her (and her fellow Guardians) into even more precarious trouble than expected. However, she truly is dedicated to protecting her country and its people, and nothing riles her up more than seeing injustice in any form---even if it pits her against her own superiors.

(By the way, Phut is the name of an actual African country given in the Biblical Old Testament, and most sources identify it with Libya. It is possible however that it instead refers to the land of Punt in the eastern Horn of Africa).

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »

This is my interpretation of Storm, or Ororo Munroe, from Marvel Comics' X-Men. Most people probably know who she is already, but in case you didn't, she's the one who can control the weather. Of course, for my fan redesign I set out to make her look more African, with a natural Afro hairstyle and less Western-looking attire.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »

Both this woman's design and her background are supposed to represent the fundamentally dual heritage that the African-American people have. One part of it is rooted in Africa (most of all West Africa) and the other in the culture that developed in the United States of America. The amulet hanging from the woman's necklace is a cross between an American star, an Egyptian ankh, and a West African adinkra symbol for freedom and emancipation.

This is a quickly sketched portrait of a Tyrannosaurus rex with rows of spike- or quill-like structures running down its neck. They're actually supposed to be vestigial protofeathers. I have to say they might actually add to the rex's fearsome aspect.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »

I wanted my modern Egyptian shopper character to have a background, so I gave her a big mall for her to browse in. I reckon that if the Egyptians were to ever build shopping malls like we have today, their stores would have big hieroglyphic signs declaring what they sold as you can see here.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2017, 12:41:34 AM »

This early Jewish rabbi is traveling the world to spread his religion through proselytizing. His latest destination for preaching his faith is ancient Zimbabwe.

There is in fact an indigenous community in Zimbabwe known as the Lemba, whose cultural practices show enough overlap with Judaism for them to be called the "Black Jews". In addition, like many other Jewish communities around the world, Lemba men carry certain Y-chromosomal haplogroups originating in the Middle East. So it's possible that Jewish missionaries (mostly men, presumably) traveled to Zimbabwe sometime in antiquity to spread their religion. However, although the Lemba claim to have built the country's distinctive Great Zimbabwe civilization, the scholarly consensus is that the true builders came from another, non-Jewish people in the area called the Shona.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2017, 08:56:06 PM »

An Egyptian princess spends the balmy evening relaxing on some comfortable furniture.

I admit that the background here was an afterthought which I rushed, but I am rather happy with the chick's reclining pose.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:23 AM »

A Hindu apsara, a beautiful female spirit of the clouds and waters, performs her ballet high up in her heavenly abode. The concept of the apsara being originated in India like the Hindu religion itself, but would later spread to Southeast Asian countries like Cambodia, Indonesia, and the Champa kingdom in southern Vietnam.

Originally I had a New Guinean or Melanesian heritage in mind for this specific character, but I believe she could also represent the aboriginal dark-skinned peoples of India before the Aryans started moving into the subcontinent from their Central Asian homeland. Southeast Asia too would have been populated by darker-skinned "Negrito" peoples before "Sundadont" Asians migrated into the region from the south of China.

It's a simple doodle of a Stegosaurus. I think I drew the neck too short, but nonetheless I rather like the movement in this piece.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »

This ferocious war goddess is supposed to represent a theological fusion between the Egyptian Sekhmet (known for her big cat motif) and the Hindu Kali. To go along with this, her ancestry would be a mixture of African and Southeast Asian, or "Blasian" (Black/Asian). If the ancient Egyptian religion were to spread into Southeast Asia and intermix with the local Hindu-influenced faith, they might imagine a war goddess very similar to this.