So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 434 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »

This is a quick portrait of Gaius Julius Caesar (100-44 BC), by far the best known of the Roman generals and statesmen. This was the guy who conquered Gaul (now France), romanced Cleopatra before Antony, and eventually got himself assassinated on the Ides of March. It was his great-grandnephew Octavian who became the first proper Emperor of Rome, thereby ending its phase as a Republic.

Although Caesar is supposed to looked middle-aged in my portrait (since that was how he looked in the bust I used as reference), I kept his hair dark because everyone else seems to color it this silvery-white color. I dunno how that convention came to be, since he would have only been in his mid-fifties when he died (so it should have only started to gray, if he was like most dudes).
My big art thread

Also the author of the entire Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »

Cryolophosaurus ellioti was a large theropod dinosaur that stalked Antarctica during the Early Jurassic, around 194 to 188 million years ago. Back then, the continent would have been covered by temperate forests as a result of the warmer global climate. The distinctive pompadour-like crest on Cryolophosaurus's head has inspired the nickname "Elvisaurus" for this dinosaur.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #347 on: August 06, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »

This is a character concept I designed for a personal fantasy project of mine. The story still needs to be outlined and written, of course, but this is what I currently have for the main antagonist. This dude, named Bao Yen, a fictional Emperor of China (in a sort of mythical past age) who wants revenge against the Egyptians for slaying his father in combat. He is ferociously loyal towards his father's memory and patriotic to an imperialistic extreme, but he has a spoiled mentality of entitlement and looks down upon all "foreign barbarians" (thought to be fair, so did most ancient Chinese).

I believe I have a soft spot for racist, imperialistic villains like this guy. That's probably because they have a lot of historical precedent that makes them frighteningly familiar to us in the real world.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #348 on: August 06, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »

And now we turn to the heroine of my fantasy project, the warrior princess Nefrusheri of Egypt. She's a fierce, yet fun-loving, young lady who's quite a bit anxious about succeeding her father as Pharaoh, but she wants more than anything to earn his approval and carry on his legacy of strong and protective leadership. When the Emperor of China steals the Staff of Serpents which her father once used to defeat a Chinese invasion, it's up to Nefrusheri to retrieve it.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #349 on: August 08, 2017, 02:07:29 AM »

Tyrannosaurus rex is curious about this little spinning thing that the young mammals have been fidgeting with lately. And I have to say I can totally relate to his feelings here.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #350 on: August 09, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »

My original character Nefrusheri, an Egyptian warrior princess, practices her martial arts skills with her khopesh sword in hand. I wanted to portray this character in a more dynamic action pose than my last drawing of her, in which she was simply standing.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #351 on: August 09, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »

Han Qiu is another character from my little fantasy project, which I am calling "The Staff of Serpents" for the time being. He leads the Shaolin monks whom the Chinese Emperor Bao Yen sends to steal the enchanted Staff of Serpents from Egypt. Han Qiu doesn't really have his own vendetta against the Egyptians, nor does he approve of the Emperor's vengeful and imperialistic agenda, but his Shaolin training compels him to obey his superiors (since honoring one's master is a major precept in the Shaolin belief system, at least as I understand it). You could say he's a reluctant right-hand man for the bad guy in this story. Oh, and the missing eye and scars on his chest are from a tiger attack he fought off in his youth.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2017, 12:24:30 AM »

It's going down between two of the mightiest fighters of all time, Bruce Lee and Tyrannosaurus rex. Need I say more?
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #353 on: August 11, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

My original character, an Egyptian warrior princess named Nefrusheri, is striking a pin-up pose here. I wanted this to look like something you'd see on the cover of Maxim, Playboy, or some other men's magazine. If such magazines existed in ancient Egyptian times, I'm sure princesses like Nefrusheri would love to pose for them.

I'm still working on the outline for Nefrusheri's story by the way. Right now, the first and third act have been sketched out, but for some reason the second act remains murky (and this isn't the first time that has happened to me).
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »

This is my take on one of the most infamous scenes from late Egyptian history, namely Cleopatra VII's legendary suicide by snakebite. An 1892 painting by Reginald Butler inspired the composition here, but this moment has been a classic subject of historical illustration for centuries.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #355 on: August 14, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »

The hartebeest (Alcelaphus buselaphus) is a species of African antelope that roams the dry plains of Africa. They eat mostly grass and travel in herds ranging between twenty to three hundred individuals. Although their range is now restricted to the lands south of the Sahara Desert, in ancient times they were present in the northern parts of the continent as well. They probably would have been one of the several antelope species that Egyptian pharaohs and nobility would have hunted.

In fact, the idea behind this sketch came to mind while I was working on the first scene of my story "The Staff of Serpents", wherein my protagonist Nefrusheri is hunting some hartebeests with her brother.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »

Having more fun with ancient Egyptian chicks in modern-day outfits here...

The word "hotep" means "to be at peace" in ancient Egyptian, but the Egyptians actually would use the phrase "em hotep" (in peace) as a greeting. However, omitting the "em" in the phrase made for better alliteration with "homies".

(And yes, this girl's get-up is based on my earlier character Nefrusheri, from whom she could very well be descended.)
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2017, 01:56:41 AM »
And this would be the colored version...
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2017, 12:14:29 AM »

Nefrusheri, my Egyptian princess character, appears rather anxious about something here. Perhaps it is the burdensome responsibility she will inherit once she assumes her father's throne as Pharaoh.

The story behind this is that I was in an uninspired "meh" mood all day, so I wanted to draw one of my characters feeling almost the same way.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »

My sister recently said that the classic "Venus de Milo" statue is her favorite piece of artwork ever created, which inspired me to do my own "Africanized" interpretation of it (although I had considered doing something like it before). The original statue is from the ancient Greek culture and may depict either the love goddess Aphrodite or the sea goddess Amphitrite (the latter being Poseidon's wife).
My big art thread