So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot

• 434 Replies

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
Re: So Tyrannohotep likes to draw...a lot
« Reply #420 on: October 07, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »

Remember that Egyptian/Neanderthal dude whose portrait I drew a couple of days ago? Well, these two would be his doting mommy and daddy. I will leave to your imagination how they could have gotten together, but they're from an alternate history where all of humanity stayed within Africa while the Neanderthals got to keep western Eurasia. The Neanderthal dad in this pairing is from one of the Middle Eastern populations, which is why he has tan skin and dark hair instead of the pale skin and red hair of more northerly Neanderthal populations in Europe.
My big art thread

Also the author of the entire Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #421 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »

This would be a fictional warrior queen from somewhere in the Congo Basin of Central Africa. Part of the inspiration for the character came from the historically documented Queen Nzinga of Ndongo and Matamba, who lived in what is now Angola and is known for fighting the Portuguese. The wicker shield she's carrying is influenced by those used by warriors from Congolese societies such as the Mangbetu and Zande.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #422 on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »

This is the colored version of my concept for a Congolese warrior queen. I drew the color scheme of her jewelry and clothing from the flags of two countries in the Congolese region, the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (or D.R.C.). The shield design, on the other hand, is based on the wicker shields used by warriors from Congolese societies such as the Zande/Azande and Mangbetu.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #423 on: October 11, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »

I don't have much to say about this doodle other than that it's an Egyptian woman who's probably of commoner status. It seems that whenever my muse is temporarily on the fritz, Egyptian beauties are one of the subjects I default to. Either that, or it's some kind of dinosaur.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2017, 08:57:09 AM »

I wasn't originally going to color my last Egyptian portrait, but after taking a second look at her, I thought she was too strikingly beautiful not to color. I think it's something about her eyes that's really alluring.

This is a speculative portrait of a Triceratops that has ridges on its horns (or rather the keratin covering thereof), much like you would find on the horns of an African antelope. However, I left the tips smooth-sided for better penetration in case a T. rex or some other predator were to attack it.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »

I drew these two as an exercise in portraying dripping wet hair of different textures. The chick on the left is ancient Egyptian and the one on the right is from the Maya civilization of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #426 on: October 13, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

This is a work-in-progress scene which I will color over the weekend. There's a bit of compositional inspiration here from the paleo-artist Doug Henderson, who's known for dinosaur scenes dominated by the foliage rather than the animals themselves.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #427 on: October 15, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »

Tyrannosaurus rex stands at the edge of a glade deep in the rainforest. There's a bit of compositional inspiration here from the paleo-artist Doug Henderson, who's known for dinosaur scenes dominated by the foliage rather than the animals themselves.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #428 on: October 16, 2017, 12:56:01 AM »

Deep in the eastern Egyptian desert, diorite statues of the lion goddess Sekhmet guard an ancient diamond mine.

I'm not actually aware of diamonds ever being found in Egypt. But since the desert hills in the eastern part of the country are made of igneous rock (the kind of rock where diamonds are often found), maybe there are some waiting to be discovered over there?
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #429 on: October 16, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »

Did you know that the oldest recorded variation of the Cinderella fairy tale was set in ancient Egypt? According to a brief account by the Greek historian Strabo, an Egyptian courtesan named Rhodopis had one of her sandals carried off by an eagle, which then dropped it in the Pharaoh's lap. Once the Pharaoh's men identified the sandal as hers, Rhodopis became his wife, and he buried her within the third pyramid at Giza. Of course, over the centuries the story would be embellished into a classic underdog tale, which Walt Disney would adapt into the animated movie we all grew up with.

For my interpretation of Cinderella, I combined influences from her original Egyptian background and the Disney design. Her sandals are supposed to be made of glass like in the Disney version.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #430 on: October 16, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

For some reason, the word "elegant" was what came to mind when I was doodling this character in my sketchbook.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #431 on: October 18, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »

I've come down with a nasty case of the flu in the last couple of days, so I colored my earlier drawing "Elegant" to cheer myself up and kill time. I think she came out even prettier here than in the original pencil drawing.

This is my interpretation of Menat, an Egyptian fortune teller who is a recently introduced playable character in the game Street Fighter V. She's the second character from the continent of Africa in the entire game series, the first one being Elena from Kenya. I should probably draw Elena next, especially since her design is in severe need of an overhaul (c'mon, Capcom, are people of African descent really that hard to draw for you guys?).
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #432 on: October 18, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »

This is my portrayal of Sundiata Keita, the warrior prince who founded the empire of Mali in West Africa around 1235 AD. He is the namesake protagonist of the Sundiata Epic, a copy of which I have on my bookshelf.
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #433 on: October 20, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »

This young Semang girl hails from the Southeast Asian island of Singapore sometime in its ancient past. The Semang are a "Negrito" people native to the jungles of peninsular Malaysia. They most probably represent the region's aboriginal inhabitants before the coming of the Malays and other "Mongoloid" Southeast Asians, and I'm confident some of them would have crossed the Straits of Johor to colonize Singapore in very early times. Nowadays, most of Singapore's resident population is made up of Chinese, Indian, and Malay people (along with expats from all over the world), but who knows what remains to be found deep in the island's surviving jungles?
My big art thread

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #434 on: October 21, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »

A jungle huntress stands in front of her house, a temporary shelter made from dead leaves over a framework of branches. Many rainforest-dwelling hunter-gatherer peoples in our own world, such as the Central African Pygmies and the Negritos of Southeast Asia, construct similar shelters for their camps.
My big art thread