Ahoy! ouo)/

• 5 Replies

Avie Lee

• Novice
  • The shrine's resident hermit.
    • View Profile
Ahoy! ouo)/
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
Aaa, hi, hello. I joined. I'm normally a pretty shy person, BUT, I hope to spend a long time here!

Basics

Name/Pen name: Avie Lee
State/country: Texas, USA
Education: Just got my first degree in medical billing. May go back to pick up a business degree at some point.

Hobbies and Favorites

What are your hobbies?
Lolita fashion (basically, I buy elaborate dresses. I consider myself lifestyle lolita, so I wear them… just because I want to. Only time I go out in public like this is when I'm at a convention), doodling, gaming, pretending to be being a scurvy pirate
What is/are your favorite book(s) and authors?
Favorite book is The Three Musketeers! And (not an author, but he's a screenwriter), Hayao Miyazaki, just because of the themes his works surround and how it is he chooses to depict all the characters.
What is/are your favorite movie(s) and TV show(s)?
Spirited Away is my favorite movie. And I don't watch TV. But I enjoy crime shows like Dateline on NBC.

Writing

How long have you been writing?
I would say I didn't aspire to create something original until I was… 11 years old. Though my earliest memory of having created something was before I was even in school. Perhaps I was 4 years old...
What was the first story you wrote that you remember?
-Is it finished?
-Have you ever let anyone read it?
-What genre (romance, fantasy, etc) was it?

When I got my first computer, I immediately sat down to write something called The Sea Palace. I was coming up with it as I went. It was a fantasy story about a girl named Sandy who stumbles upon a huge castle that appears overlooking the beach one night. She goes in and palace sorta… takes off and sails along the ocean (don't ask how, it's “maaaaagic!”). She finds out that people trapped in the palace can't leave or else they'll turn into a pile of sand. The palace was created by a magician who was lonely and had no friend. So he traps people in with him. They don't age, but they do grow tired of their prison and wish to escape. Never finished it. Nobody ever got to read it. That computer got filled up with viruses and one day it just died with my story still trapped in it. Never had a chance to recover it. Doesn't matter; story was pretty bad anyway.
Who is your favorite character that you've written about?
I have 3 characters that I consider precious to me. But since she happens to have something public to show, here's my girl Captain Avery Shy. She is from a writing project that is still too early on in development for me to write – The Academy for Bizarre Occupations: Graduates Trial. She's a heckin' SPACE PIRATE! With a cape! And, she has sentimental value to me as a character.
What is your favorite fantasy world you've created? Feel free to tell us about it.
The planet of Siyel, or more specifically, a magical island on Siyel called Unity Island. I don't wanna yap about the lore and make this post any longer than it already is. But I've poured 12 years of brainstorming into Unity, so it means a lot to me.
What fantasy project(s) are you currently working on? How's it going in terms of progress?
The Kingdoms of Unity Island, which is something that had early stages planned out when I was only 11. And since then it's gone in weird directions. It wasn't even named KoUI until recently. I do feel I'm nearing the day I get to sit down and write the first book in the 12-part series with confidence. But I'd rather sit tight and figure out all the details before that happens. I've made several attempts at beginning the series in the past. They all ended with me scrapping everything because something changed or needed updating. Or I completely lost manuscripts due to broken/lost computers, pfftt. This was before Google Docs was a thing.
Do you plan on taking advantage of the beta reading section? Suuure

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

Have you ever participated in NaNoWriMo?
-How many times?
Yes, 3 times
What genres were your NaNos? all fantasy
Did you finish the actual story by 50,000 words, or just reach 50,000 words but not be actually finished?
In the years I've won, I hit the word count goal but was still at the beginning of the story.
Are you planning on participating this coming November?
Sadly, no. The last two months have been excruciating. Now that I can pick up my head and wipe the dust from my eyes, September's gone, and we've got people doing practice stretches for NaNo. None of my current projects are fully-realized… not enough for me to begin writing the first chapter, at least. I don't write something unless I feel I fully understand a story and the point it's trying to get across. The only projects I have right now are my 12-year-old KoUI which is not something I want to NaNo with, and a handful of younger 1-2 year old projects that are too new in my mind for me to want to begin writing.

Other Stuff
How did you find out about Worldsmyths?
-What made you decide to join?
-Have you told anyone else about it?

I happened to see it mentioned on NaNoWriMo's forums the other day. Joining because I would like to know a community that I can be invested in and simultaneously learn from. I've mentioned this group in passing to my boyfriend, but he's not much of a writer (or even a reader for that matter), so it's not like he'd join, ahaha.
What do you hope Worldsmyths will help you accomplish in terms of your writing goals?
I can't write, help. You people sound smart. Help me figure out how to make words sound good together, aaaa
In all seriousness, I don't think I've been able to speak to anybody who was serious about publishing. I did speak to an old friend recently about how much illustrators cost (he's written a tabletop RPG). And since then, I've been meaning to associate with more writers.

//slaps on NaNo signature because too lazy to make new one right now;;;

sig art - apricot2000 || avatar art - wanpuccino

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Ahoy! ouo)/
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »
Arrr matey ;)

There are lots of people here at various stages of being published (I recently have had a short story published online) so feel free to ask us all whatever you'd like to know. A few of us are also on some of the writing groups over on facebook which also has lots of this sort of information :)

I hope you enjoy it here :D

P.S don't worry about reviving old threads or creating a bazillion new ones, create and chat away :)

LShelby

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • L. Shelby's Science Fiction and Fantasy
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
Who is your favorite character that you've written about?
But since she happens to have something public to show, here's my girl Captain Avery Shy. She is from a writing project that is still too early on in development for me to write – The Academy for Bizarre Occupations: Graduates Trial. She's a heckin' SPACE PIRATE! With a cape! And, she has sentimental value to me as a character.

I have space pirates on the go also—one of my two science fiction universes was initally created for the purpose of housing them.  And what do you know my pirate band (the Brotherhood of the Black Flag) was co-founded by a man named Avery Shaw.  A coincidence?  Or have we just read the same historical source material.  :)

Your Avery is very cute.  Is that your own artwork?
My Avery doesn't have a portrait because he's just a background/reference character, but I am very sure he wasn't nearly that good looking.

Avie Lee

• Novice
  • The shrine's resident hermit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »
P.S don't worry about reviving old threads or creating a bazillion new ones, create and chat away
^^^ okay, gooood. I know some forums are touchy about reviving inactive topics, but there are quite a few here that get my mind thinking.
Aaa, thank you for the warm welcome! ouo)/
I do not have a Facebook, sadly, but if I have a question and don't know how I'd get that information, I will ask.
Ooo, and congrats on publishing your short story! For me, it seems like the hardest part is trying to figure out if something is good enough to be put out there in public. My mind is always blown by articles and stories I find online. I just... know the process.

Your Avery is very cute.  Is that your own artwork?
Thank you!! ;o; Ah, my style is more fat and chibi, like this (those are Splatoon characters I doodled for some old Discord friends). Too cartoony. I tend to not draw my characters because my style so greatly contrasts their stories and personas. The art I have of Avery was either commissioned or gifted. She was designed by a lovely artist named maii-chi who basically listened to me babble for pages about my vision for this character, and this is what we came up with.
My Avery is named after Henry Every/Avery, ahahaha. Same for your Avery?

Arr, more space pirates! The universe needs all of 'em.
Admittedly, this is my only sci-fi story. I'm really new to the genre. But obviously, my first venture had to have space pirates.
The Brotherhood of the Black Flag... that's an intriguing name. Curious about them. Are they main characters, or antagonists, or...?
Shy's just a novice so she doesn't have a crew yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But I really love bands of pirates. Pirates were all about living a merry life. Chuck 'em into space and there's an endless array of shenanigans they can get themselves into.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:30:08 PM by Avie Lee »

//slaps on NaNo signature because too lazy to make new one right now;;;

sig art - apricot2000 || avatar art - wanpuccino

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum! Yay for following links on NaNo. :D

Let us know if you have any questions! And like @Sheepy-Pie said, you can totally reply to old topics.
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

LShelby

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • L. Shelby's Science Fiction and Fantasy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
I tend to not draw my characters because my style so greatly contrasts their stories and personas.
I'm actually in the opposite situation right now.  I usually do my own book covers, but for the one currently at the copy-editors and its sequel, I'm not confident I can pull of a look that is sufficiently non-serious.  Also, it takes me forever to paint a cover -- I'm so slow. (Cuts horribly into my writing time, it does!) :(  So we looking for an artist that can do not-entirely-serious science fiction and won't ask more than we can afford (which is, alas, not a whole lot). 

Your own stuff is super cute!  :)
... but it wouldn't be a good match for my characters either.  Sigh.

My own space pirates I actually did in 3D.  You can take a look if you want. http://aircastle.org/?castle_serial=flag-in-flames

Quote from: Avie Lee
My Avery is named after Henry Every/Avery, ahahaha. Same for your Avery?

Yep, the very same.  :)
Almost all my pirate characters have names stolen from pirate lore either factual or fictional.  I don't normally do that sort of thing, but for pirates to use stolen names just seemed soooo appropriate.  :)

The Brotherhood of the Black Flag... that's an intriguing name. Curious about them. Are they main characters, or antagonists, or...?
Main characters.  An intrepid band of space exiles ekeing out an existence in the sterile reaches of deep space, by stealing what they need to survive.  Something like that.  I built the culture, and then I ended up using it for a series (it's supposed to become a series, anyway) of space romances. (With explosions!).

My son has commented on how ironic it is that my "girliest stories" are set in a culture that is about 90% male.

But I really love bands of pirates. Pirates were all about living a merry life. Chuck 'em into space and there's an endless array of shenanigans they can get themselves into.

I seem to have a a bit of a thing for pirates myself, but they are as likely to show up as antagonists a protagonists, and their life isn't necessarily particularly merry.  But let us not allow such irrelevant details prevent us from declaring ourselves members of the same pirate-loving club.  Right?