• 6 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Learning to knit!
« on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
...I'm leaving in like 25 minutes to go to a place in my town that's offering a knitting class for tonight and next Wednesday.

I'm really not a crafty person. I tried to start teaching myself how to crochet and I'm terrible at it, so I really need to find someone to teach me. But my dad's fiance showed interest in this class on Facebook and long story short...I'm now taking the class by myself even though she was supposed to be taking the class with me (she didn't sign up in time even though she knew there was limited space).

I'm also left handed, so hopefully the person who's teaching the class will be able to give me an easy method for learning how to do this. I'd like to get good enough to be able to start selling whatever I make, but I kind of have doubts.

I still want to learn how to crochet if I can find someone to teach me. I've tried watching some videos but it hasn't really helped. I did watch some knitting videos and it doesn't seem THAT hard...so here's hoping! If I actually successfully make something, I'll post a picture.
Current total goal: 25,000
July Camp Goal: 15,000 (4,474=difference needed to get to 15k)

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to knit!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »
...okay, I haven't actually made anything yet, but I have the hang of casting on, at least. The knit stitch is really hard for me, though.

JayLee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »
...okay, I haven't actually made anything yet, but I have the hang of casting on, at least. The knit stitch is really hard for me, though.

Welcome to the knitting circle friend :) Just wait til you learn to purl :) Ah... the many long hours I've spent bashing hardcore through writer's block while knitting/crocheting fluffy hats. Seriously though, hope you have fun and good luck with your knitting class!
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/

RedShoes

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
I will also welcome you to the knitting circle. I am also picking up my knitting needles after a long hiatus.

There are lots of good resources out on the web. Once you finish your class if you are looking for different patterns to try your hand at, I would suggest checking out http://www.ravelry.com. It has a lot of nice resources and has lots of patterns for free which can be filtered by difficulty.  :)

Happy knitting.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »

Welcome to the knitting circle friend :) Just wait til you learn to purl :) Ah... the many long hours I've spent bashing hardcore through writer's block while knitting/crocheting fluffy hats. Seriously though, hope you have fun and good luck with your knitting class!

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the person teaching the class has never taught a lefty how to knit before.  :-\ so it's definitely interesting trying to learn.

Ugh. I haven't even gotten the knit stitch down. For whatever reason, the yarn keeps slipping off of the one needle before I can get it into the loop on the other needle. I think it has something to do with not keeping my hand tense, which is just a matter of practice.

I will also welcome you to the knitting circle. I am also picking up my knitting needles after a long hiatus.

There are lots of good resources out on the web. Once you finish your class if you are looking for different patterns to try your hand at, I would suggest checking out http://www.ravelry.com. It has a lot of nice resources and has lots of patterns for free which can be filtered by difficulty.  :)

Happy knitting.

Yeah, I've been trying to look for them. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much for lefties. XD Like, the instructor showed us this thing yesterday they had available to purchase with diagrams for knitting, BUT OF COURSE it was made for righties, and I'm like...well crap, what about the lefties?!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »
Okay, so I had my second class tonight.

I can do the knit stitch! It's still a struggle to get the needle through the first loop without it slipping the yarn, but that's a common issue, apparently.

I was able to get to as far as starting on row two until the class ended, and then I got home...and I ended up screwing it up to the point of having to start it over from scratch.

So I started it over, and then I think because I had it too tight, I could barely get the needle through the loops on the left needle, and then I couldn't get it through at all on the last one.

Also, apparently I'm actually knitting right handed, and I'm a thrower.

I think I watched so many Youtube videos (including one for Portuguese knitting...which is where you put the yarn around your neck and use that to help with the tension. I tried it last night, but it wasn't working for me either) that it must have all sunk into my brain and I was just...finally able to do it.

Now I need to try and do 60 rows (for a dishtowel) without screwing it up. >.>

JayLee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »

Also, apparently I'm actually knitting right handed, and I'm a thrower.

I think I watched so many Youtube videos (including one for Portuguese knitting...which is where you put the yarn around your neck and use that to help with the tension. I tried it last night, but it wasn't working for me either) that it must have all sunk into my brain and I was just...finally able to do it.

Now I need to try and do 60 rows (for a dishtowel) without screwing it up. >.>

Whoo! You can do it!!
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/