Unnamed, Unplotted Character Sketches

• 4 Replies

briari hallow

Unnamed, Unplotted Character Sketches
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
I was fooling around with makeup which led to me thinking, "I really need to practice on my tablet so I can finish the pieces I haven't finished."

So I started fiddling with the wacom around 7-ish and finished this now-ish. So about 3.5 hours? I really need a lot of practice but I'm going to throw case studies in here. This one was to test out if the theory of makeup contouring can be applied to faces, and I'd say it was a success?

My idea of her is that she's got bee-magic. I did a terrible hive-print tattoo by her clavicle, and flowers on her forearm. My idea is that she can control bees a la the Black Mirror episode, minus the computer needed to do so. She likes gardening and eating biscuits with honey.

Becca

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed, Unplotted Character Sketches
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:04:08 AM »
I really like her :)

JayLee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
This is a really cool picture :)

This one was to test out if the theory of makeup contouring can be applied to faces, and I'd say it was a success?
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who tried that XD Seeing if I could learn some color tricks was actually the reason I started watching makeup tutorials on youtube (since they are essentially coloring their faces) and I think it works pretty well.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/

briari hallow

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
Thanks @Becca! I'm hoping to be able to do a true Kisa portrait soon but...her hair is going to kill me.

@JayLee - thanks! Yeah, I had just finished watching a Nikkitutorial video on contouring for "Everyday" and was like "Makes sense. I get it." and did the swoop under the cheek not towards the mouth, which I think gives her plump cheeks? Ugh, I have so much trouble >__< I know where I want to be eventually with it and there still isn't enough depth to the drawings I do. I cannot fathom how some people do their drawings so well.

JayLee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:36 PM »
@JayLee - thanks! Yeah, I had just finished watching a Nikkitutorial video on contouring for "Everyday" and was like "Makes sense. I get it." and did the swoop under the cheek not towards the mouth, which I think gives her plump cheeks? Ugh, I have so much trouble >__< I know where I want to be eventually with it and there still isn't enough depth to the drawings I do. I cannot fathom how some people do their drawings so well.

Shading and actually adding depth are really hard. I feel you :)
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/