Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Addressing the Writing Challenges and the Library
« on: January 14, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you to those of you who've responded to the member feedback survey! We wanted to address some of the things that were brought up in some of the responses.

Writing Challenges
One suggestion made was that we should have more than one choice for the prompts when posting a writing challenge. We have done this before. In fact, I'm pretty sure almost every past challenge had more than one option for prompts to respond to. However, we noticed that sometimes having more than one prompt to choose from isn't necessarily the best thing, and that when people have one prompt to focus on, we end up getting more submissions. We also felt that it would change things up if we had one prompt rather than two or more for the challenges, so we wanted to try something new by only having one prompt to focus on. This doesn't mean we won't ever go back to having more than one prompt to choose from, just that we wanted to change things up with the prompts a bit.

We do have an idea for an exciting challenge for next month that I think/hope everyone will enjoy and participate in, so stay tuned!

The Library
One of the consistent things - even among the staff members - that seems to be a concern/bit of an annoyance is the library. For those who don't know, the reason why the library is separated from the forum is because unfortunately, the developer for eFiction, which is what the library is on, has not created a hook to make it so that the library can be connected to the forum and you only need one account and only have to register once in order to use the forum and library. The developer doesn't seem to be in any kind of a rush to change this.

When we were working on the site back in ~April, we asked in the temporary Facebook group whether members would prefer better functionality (i.e. the categories, reviews, etc) or one log in. At the time, the majority vote was for better functionality, so that's what we went with. We wanted to have a unique feature to offer to people that would separate us from most other sites for (fantasy) writers, and it's actually something that I remember being requested when I asked in the NaNo Facebook group about whether or not people would be interested in a site such as Worldsmyths.

So, at the moment, that's why the library is separated from the forum. I know it's a pain in the butt having to log in to two separate sites, and that some of the features are kind of wonky. The staff members and I have been discussing other options that may be better for us, and we actually will be making a post addressing those other options to see what your thoughts are soon. Until we get that figured out, however, we hope that everyone will continue to use the library to the best of their ability with submissions and reviews.

I think those are the two main things that really needed to be addressed at the moment. Everyone is still welcome to answer the survey, which you can find here, or you're welcome to respond to this post or send a PM with anything else you'd like to address.

I hope this helped to clear those two things up for everyone who was wondering about them.

Storms of Magic - Draft 1