6 (46.2%)
Option Three
4 (30.8%)
Option Four
2 (15.4%)
Other (will reply)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Library Forum Options (please read/vote)

• 13 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Library Forum Options (please read/vote)
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
Rather than stick the link in the library options thread, I figured it would be best to make a new post with a poll to help narrow down some options.

This poll is not to say "yes, we are definitely going to create dedicated forums and add them to the forum for the library," but it's not to NOT say that. I just want to get your thoughts on the potential set ups so that I know for if we end up going this route.

Now, based on the discussion so far, it seems like people like the option of having the library on the forum, which currently (unless we find another option, which so far hasn't happened) means creating dedicated forums on the site and having members submit their writing to those stories. These dedicated forums would absolutely, 100% be members only. I know that right now there's no indication to guests that there's any writing/critiquing being posted, but I'm not super concerned about that, because if anyone is REALLY concerned about that, they'll register an account and see for themselves. I am far more concerned about giving our members' security in knowing that their writing is as protected as we can make it than I am about guests being able to see the critiques we're giving each other.

The good news about creating dedicated forums for the library: we can use the prefixes mod that @Cynadea linked to and use it to have people determine which main category their story would go into, and then we can try and use the current tagging system to determine which genre it would go into (unless we go with option four).

So, I've used the test forum that I made to set up possible ways the dedicated forums could be set up. The link is here.

There are currently four options (PLEASE make sure to go to the test forum link so that you can see what it would generally look like!):

Option #1: We would have one dedicated forum for submissions (except for writing prompts and writing challenge entries- those would be in their appropriate spots, separate from the library). We would use the prefix mod to differentiate between either genres (high fantasy, sword and sorcery, contemporary, etc) or type (short story, excerpt, flash fiction, etc), and they'd all be in one forum.

Option #2: multiple forums for multiple category types. Submissions would be placed into the submissions forum and the staff members would sort them into the correct places.

(Please note that that I have "challenge submissions" in this option, but it wouldn't actually go here.)

Option 3: Like option #2, but it would be a little more condensed. We'd combine short stories and flash fiction together (differentiating with the prefix mod) and we'd combine novels and novellas together, doing the same thing. If we ended up getting a lot of submissions for both of those things and needed to do so, we would create another forum to stick one of those two categories into.

Option 4: Option four has everything divided into categories by fantasy genre. There are eighteen forums we'd be adding, unless we cut some of them down to the more "popular" ones (high, sword and sorcery, modern/contemporary, low fantasy, science fantasy...maybe another one or two) and stick everything else under "other."

And then there's whatever other set ups that I haven't come up with that you guys might have an idea for.

Like I said, this is assuming that we go with creating the dedicated forums, but it sounds like this would be the better option, unless we find some other option. The downside of dedicated forums would be the formatting issue, which right now we can't do much about (unless a miracle happens and we find some answer that will make things easier).

If you have any further thoughts about the whole library issue, please respond in the library discussion thread.

If you have any thoughts about these possible set ups for the library (keeping in mind that the dedicated forums would probably end up under the "welcome" category and above the "inspiration" category).

Edit: ]Do me a favor when you vote?

Please respond to this post and let me know which option you voted for, 'cause while the stream tells us when someone has voted, it doesn't the polls don't tell me who voted for which option, and it would be good to know who's voting for which options, especially right now since it's all over the place. I know who's voted for option three so far already, but I'm curious to know who's voted for the other options, too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:45:53 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Library Forum Options (please read/vote)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
@Sheepy-Pie pointed out to me that there's not much difference between options 2 and 3, and there isn't. One has the forums more condensed than the other, that's about it. Since the poll has already been posted, I'm just going to leave it the way it is, but keep the fact that there's not much for differences between the two of them. That's a 'my bad' on my part. :P

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:45:30 PM »
Do me a favor when you vote?

Please respond to this post and let me know which option you voted for, 'cause while the stream tells us when someone has voted, it doesn't the polls don't tell me who voted for which option, and it would be good to know who's voting for which options, especially right now since it's all over the place. I know who's voted for option three so far already, but I'm curious to know who's voted for the other options, too.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
I voted Option Two.

JayLee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:07:39 AM »
I voted four... I liked it best out of the options
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:38:38 AM »
I voted option 2.
A minor point i might add is, that having staff member sort all posted work into the proper subforum sounds like a lot of work. I think asking the member to post stuff in the correct subforum would be fine, having staff members then just sort out the occasional threads, that are postet in the wrong spot. But again, that is a real minor issue. Either way is fine for me.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Progress: 12/29 Scenes, 1/3 Acts
Word Count Total: 24,496
Word Count Draft: 15,064

SithLordOfSnark

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Desires of the Flesh
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:45:09 AM »
I voted for Option Two.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
Thank you to everyone who's voted so far! I wasn't expecting option two to be what people chose, but it's pretty much the same as option three minus the combined forums, anyway, so it works either way.

I voted option 2.
A minor point i might add is, that having staff member sort all posted work into the proper subforum sounds like a lot of work. I think asking the member to post stuff in the correct subforum would be fine, having staff members then just sort out the occasional threads, that are postet in the wrong spot. But again, that is a real minor issue. Either way is fine for me.

You could be right. I think initially it wouldn't be so hard for us to sort everything into each forum, 'cause I can't imagine that we'd be getting tons of submissions at first, but maybe that would change. Like I said in the other thread, the staff currently doesn't really have much for designated tasks that they have to complete, so having one or two of them be in charge of sorting the submissions wouldn't be a huge deal, at least at first. But I still have to talk to them and see which way they think is better. I'm open to the idea of just letting members stick their stories into the right place themselves, but if one or two of them wants to be in charge of sorting the submissions, that works, too.

TkZ

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »
Voted for option 2, though option 3 would be fine as well.

Cynadea

• Librarium Testers
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
Gone for option 4, though with a condensed number of boards. 18 boards is a lot.

I would have voted for two as well, but with the same add on than MagicMagor made. Trust people to know where their stories belong.

Ahryantah

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
I voted for Option 2. Option 3 would be okay, too, it's just that Option 2 looked cleaner to me. The two options are functionally the same, though.

I agree that asking the mods to sort everything is probably unnecessary. I say just let forum members post directly to the correct board. If there's a huge problem with stuff ending up on the wrong board all the time, then maybe the mods could try sorting it instead, but I don't think it would be a problem.

(And I know that this poll is about IF writing gets moved to the board, but I'd just like to add here that I think I would prefer keeping our current Library over moving everything to the forum. I'm not going to stop posting writing if it does move, but I thought I'd just mention my preference.)

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 11:42:02 PM »
I voted for Option 2. Option 3 would be okay, too, it's just that Option 2 looked cleaner to me. The two options are functionally the same, though.

I agree that asking the mods to sort everything is probably unnecessary. I say just let forum members post directly to the correct board. If there's a huge problem with stuff ending up on the wrong board all the time, then maybe the mods could try sorting it instead, but I don't think it would be a problem.

(And I know that this poll is about IF writing gets moved to the board, but I'd just like to add here that I think I would prefer keeping our current Library over moving everything to the forum. I'm not going to stop posting writing if it does move, but I thought I'd just mention my preference.)

Fair enough, and I'll keep that in mind.

(As far as your preference goes, I'll keep that in mind, but I think we may have another solution that will make things easier. It's not definite yet, so I don't want to get people's hopes up by giving details, but I think it might happen.)

mircat

• Novice
  • \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:32 PM »
I voted for option 2. It looks like a nice medium between having enough categories to organize content and not having an excessive amount of categories.

Elena

• Journeyman
  • the pirate captain
    • View Profile
    • Before the Mast
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
I voted for three, but two sounded equally appealing.