Laws of Magic

• 19 Replies

Arc

• Librarium Testers
  • Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Laws of Magic
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:52 PM »
The authors I like tend to have harder magical systems, though often the rules are obscure enough that readers don't know what the limitations are. A good example of that for me is the Dresden files. As for myself, I just decided that the magic in my main world is going to be mostly rune based, but that's all I have at the moment and honestly need help figuring out the limitations.

RebekahGrace

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Adventures
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
I am still heavily fleshing out my system but I have a basic idea.

In my world there are 10 kingdoms, each kingdom holds a set of golden embroidery needles, with these needles a person can literally sew events into the fabric of time. The Princess heir to each kingdom is trained her entire life with normal steel needles and then when she is coronated queen the needles are gifted to her from her mother. Mine is like a 50 50 mix. I defintely have rules but most of them aren't really worked out yet.

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
That intrigues me. I had certain tapestries as portals to another world originally but scrapped the idea. Sounds like you've got yours sorted :)

RebekahGrace

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Adventures
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
That intrigues me. I had certain tapestries as portals to another world originally but scrapped the idea. Sounds like you've got yours sorted :)

Thanks, I feel like there are still some confusing/un defined parts that I need to flesh out. The portal tapestries sounds interesting. Mind if I nick that?(It might help me sort out a plot problem.)

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
I had certain tapestries as portals to another world originally but scrapped the idea.

Ooh. Wish I'd thought of that!
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost