The pet thread

• 27 Replies

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
The pet thread
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »
Because we all love talking about our pets and sharing funny stories, pictures etc. right?

I have two dogs. Cory is a white, long-haired shepherd, he will be 9 next month and I have had him since he was a 7 week old puppy. Poppy is my rescue dog - a Yorkshire terrier, she is 7 years old and I have had her for 3 and a half years now.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: The pet thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:20:52 PM »
We have this archived thread for talking about pets already, but that's not a huge deal. XD

I'm just going to copy and paste and then add onto what I have in my reply to that post, since my dad does have a new dog.

Be prepared for sadness for this one.

This is my dad's Irish Setter, Finnegan. My dad and his fiance got him in December 2014 when he came over from Ireland. I grew up with Irish Setters, and I never thought my dad would get another dog, never mind another Setter, but he surprised me when he got Finnegan. I took this picture last spring, and it's my absolute favorite picture of him. Unfortunately, in early July of 2016, Finnegan got really sick. Initially we were told he had a bacterial infection- which he could have gotten better from- and then we were told it was possibly lymphoma...and then we were told that he had the worst kind of cancer he could possibly have, and he went downhill and my dad and his fiance had to put him down. He wasn't even two years old yet- he would have been two in October.

I'm still absolutely heartbroken by this. He was one of the greatest dogs I've ever had (and that I can actually remember). He would get so excited to see me, and he was so smart...not fair. But he was really sick at the end and the humane thing was to put him down because he was only going to get worse. It came on very, very suddenly. We literally went from that Tuesday thinking it was a bacterial infection to that Friday with them saying it was the worst kind of cancer possible and I had to go and say goodbye.
This is my mom's/my dog Murphy. He'll be three in August, and he was best friends with Finnegan.
This is Muffy. She was my grandfather's cat, and then my mom inherited her when he went to live in a nursing home and he eventually died. She's basically my cat now, though she doesn't sleep with me like she used to, at least not all the time.
[img width=600 height=450]https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/18469_337034952888_975686_n.jpg?oh=97d89fe6583421e4424901c295c097e3&oe=5931E316/img]
This is Artemis and Tobias (not brothers), but I don't have Tobias any more. :( Long and short of it: I adopted Tobias after my cat Willow (...who was also a tabby cat with the same stripes and such) died, and then eventually my dad brought him to a new home (supposedly. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he got brought back to the shelter and my dad just said that his co-worker took him) because he was "being mean" to his fiance's cats (...don't get me started on that, it's a tl;dr thing) and scratching the woodwork around the house, so Toby is the one who got kicked out.

We've had Artemis since he was a kitten, since...2009ish? Maybe a little later than that. My dad's co-worker found him outside her house and my dad ended up bringing him to our house (when I was living with him) and we ended up keeping him. Artie doesn't like me much these days...I think it's because I stopped living there.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:26:28 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
Ugh, I have no idea why but when I edit the original post, the picture of Ollie and Gizmo doesn't show up. o.O

This is Oliver (orange kitty) and Gizmo (grey kitty). Unfortunately Oliver died maybe four years ago now from kidney failure. This is one of the only pictures I'll probably get of Gizmo, because he's super skittish...but he and Ollie had known each other most of their lives and were best friends. Gizmo used to go around the house meowing, looking for Oliver after he died. :( It was heartbreaking.

o.O And now it's doing the same thing with the picture of me and Carraig.
This is me with my dad's new (as of November-ish) puppy, Carraig. He's Finnegan's younger half-brother. He looks at me the same way Finnegan used to, and he gets just as excited. <3 <3 <3
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:26:47 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
NaNoWriMo 2018

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »
I thought we had a pet thread, but I couldn't find it! I forgot that a lot of the old threads were archived.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
I thought we had a pet thread, but I couldn't find it! I forgot that a lot of the old threads were archived.

Yeah, I should have just made sub-forums for each forum to use as archives.  :-\ Normally I would have done that, too. That was dumb on my part.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
Hey, we can never have too many pet threads. That's my theory.

This is Poppy and Cory waiting to open their Christmas presents:

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
Haha, this is true!

Aww, they're so cute! <3
NaNoWriMo 2018

Mars

• Journeyman
  • The artsy fartsy child
    • View Profile
    • Cracked Flash Fiction Competition
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »
My household has 3 animals, one for each person. Zelda & Xena are the cats, and Sophie Belle is the dog. My sister's had Zelda for like two years now, and I've had Xena since last August as a 2-month-old kitten. Sophie Belle's a rescue animal (also a Yorkshire terrier) and my aunt's had her for about 3 years. Zelda was a stray that a friend took in off the street and gave to us, and Xena we got from our cousin's friend. We think Xena's a Maine Coon, and Zelda's a black and white short hair.

ScribblerKat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
No pictures - I'm not a picture taker. Which is a good thing, because we have lots of pets.

Dogs: 3. Two young female German shepherds, almost completely black. Taffy and Nikki. Rowdy, sweet, good-natured, and well-behaved, except for that rowdy thing. The 3rd dog is Paris (I didn't name her), a mini long-haired dachshund. Anxious, but smart and adorable.

Cats: 2. Tater, named Tater Tot because, when we got him, that's what he looked like, is an orange tabby and the king of the house. Very affectionate. Jumbo started life as Creamsicle, because that's what he looked like, but "Jumbo" came along and stuck. He's part Manx and doesn't have a tail. I know because his daddy used to hang around our house. Both of these were stray kittens.

Birds: 3. Jasper is an eclectus parrot, bright green, very very loud. He talks quite a bit. Captain Cracker, aka the Cap'n, is a Quaker parrot. Sweet, but he bites. As in, draws blood. Arlo is an Alexandrine parrot. He makes the sweetest cooing sounds.

Horses: 2. Magic is an Appaloosa, mostly white with black spots all over. She's pig-headed, of course, and continually pushes my borders, but she's a love. Rose is a bay Thoroughbred, tall, rangy, and quiet. She had a kind of mini-stroke, and since then she's had no personality, but she's a good girl.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
I grabbed my camera earlier 'cause Muffy was looking really cute while she was laying on my bed.

This was me playing around in Photoshop. I colored her eye in.

NaNoWriMo 2018

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
@ScribblerKat I'm jealous that you have horses! I've loved them since I was a little kid and used to do horseback riding. I used to think that my parents should get me a horse. They never did. (We so did NOT have the right backyard for it, like I thought we did. :P But a kid can dream.)
NaNoWriMo 2018

ScribblerKat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
Horses are expensive and require hard work. I don't even ride - I always sucked at it, and I broke my back once falling off a horse. But I love them anyway. I've had several since I came to Texas in 1984 - at one point, we had six. My horses taught me to give up temper tantrums. They give me serenity. They keep me sharp, as they can occasionally kick. And they give me love.

I'm sorry you never got to have your horse (I wanted a pony at the age of 5), but you never know. It might still happen.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

CMMai

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I have had a few pet but unfortunately not all are still with me. Karma is my current pet she is 6 yrs old and a blue healer cross. I got Karma the same time i got Asuka (oscar) for a friend. They are sisters from the same litter though they look nothing a like

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
Horses are expensive and require hard work. I don't even ride - I always sucked at it, and I broke my back once falling off a horse. But I love them anyway. I've had several since I came to Texas in 1984 - at one point, we had six. My horses taught me to give up temper tantrums. They give me serenity. They keep me sharp, as they can occasionally kick. And they give me love.

I'm sorry you never got to have your horse (I wanted a pony at the age of 5), but you never know. It might still happen.

Yeah, the expense is a large reason for why I wouldn't be able to get one. :P I love horses but I don't love them enough to actually buy one or anything. Especially 'cause I have an uncle with horses, though I've never gotten to ride those specific horses that he has. Part of that is probably because I'm too shy to ask about riding them.

Like I said, I used to do horseback riding lessons and camps when I was a kid, but I kind of fell out of love with that aspect of it. I think it was too much work for me (they used to have us muck the stalls at one of the camps). :P I also vaguely remember scooping out the dirt in their shoes at the place I did lessons at, and I think I also had to muck the stall there, too. But I had a lot of fun riding them.

The breeder we got our first Irish Setter from had a beautiful black horse named Timothy. We would go there to visit and I would bring him carrots and just pet him. I'd have to leave and he would kick his hoof against the fence of the corral, wanting me to come back.

One year, the breeder had a reunion for the puppies that all had new owners. I was over by the corral, petting him and minding my own business, not doing anything wrong.

All of a sudden these damn turkeys come out from behind the barn and start chasing me. -___- Apparently I screamed a lot while they chased me, but I don't remember what happened after that. :P
NaNoWriMo 2018

Sandy

• Apprentice
  • probably haunting you right now
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
MY PARENTS FOUND A TINY ABANDONED KITTEN WHILE WALKING TODAY

WE TOOK HIM IN AND FED HIM AND GOT HIM WATER AND THEN  DECIDED TO ADOPT HIM AND WENT TO THE PET STORE AND GOT CAT STUFF AND ADVICE

HE IS NAMED SIMON AND HE IS PRECIOUS