Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
  • Library Link: Author Profile
Needing to get excited about a project again
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:03:15 AM »
I've been working on Storms of Magic since basically back in the summer. I have most of an outline figured out, I have bits and pieces of what are really just scenes and not full chapters written, but...I think I've lost some of the excitement for the story. I want to write it, and I want to write the characters, and there are scenes that I'm excited about writing, but I think I just need some more spark to ignite the excitement flame for the story again and make me want to actually work on it. I think a large part of it is that I still haven't done tons of world building at ALL, so that doesn't help, and I'm still struggling to figure that world building out.

Writing scenes out of order doesn't usually work for me, and I think in this case it would actually make things worse because of the lack of world building/the amount of information I would possibly need that would be in the scenes that I'd be skipping over, if that makes sense. Like, if I write scene A that comes at the beginning of the story and then I skip to scene E in order to try and write something more exciting, then there's a lot in scenes B, C and D that could effect scene E but won't have been written yet.

Anyone else currently dealing with this, or have you dealt with it in the past?
If you're dealing with it or if you've dealt with it in the past, how have you gotten through it (other thank skipping over to scenes that you're more interested in writing)?

There might be more for me to ask but at the moment I can't think of them. Basically, I really, really need to get back into writing this story again, and not just spinoff things for the writing challenge (...though I'll be doing that for this month's challenge anyway, considering the theme). I just need to get some more motivation/excitement for the story and I don't know how to do that without skipping to a scene that I might have better luck writing. I'd rather try and keep writing the story in order as much as I can.  :-\

briari hallow

• Dorklord
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • IX.XXVIII.XIV;
    • View Profile
    • Briari Hallow - a Blog
Re: Needing to get excited about a project again
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
That's definitely difficult. I think I went through a similar experience with the Divine Catalysts before I'd finished it. Had so much trouble transitioning to the next scene and bridging the gaps.

1. Timeline! I wrote just a simple list of the chapters and the main event in each one. I also made notes of the characters in each scene.
1. Introduction - characters meet (KJV)
2. Characters leave Kek (KJV)
3. Meadow Scene. (KJV)
4. Wake up the Valley, play a game. (KJV & Valley friends)

Occasionally I'd make notes about those scenes on the side. So:
8. Leave Valley, beginning journey to castle (KJFJ)  - Vix stays behind, will appear later - Conversation to bond the four characters
Just you know, really mapping things out.

This was just something I would keep to reference to help me see where things were going. I'd insert scenes/chapters as needed, of course. And I would seriously sit and brainstorm those small transition scenes that I needed (such as conversations or meals or events that happen between major ones).

I think I needed a serious morale boost when I started revamping the book. I'd finally finished it and was super confident, and then I realized I needed to rework it. It drained me. I felt super defeated by it, and really questioned my abilities.

But then I ended up getting Chapter 1 and 2 which are posted in the library. Those chapters did not exist at all before, so I had to come up with a new way for us to meet the characters and move onto the point where they decided to return to Kisa's home (which happens in Chapter 3). Honestly, I'm so much happier with these scenes than the originals.

Knowing the scene I wanted to pick back up on (the meadow scene that was a fight scene but is no longer), I started with "Okay, how do they meet?" Ended up brainstorming their new penpal relationship and Kisa coming to visit. Purposely inserted scenes to fill time.

"We meet Jadious, an anxious kid, waiting for his friend."
"Kisa arrives."
Okay, what scene can be in-between to make this seem organic? Came up with "Jadious goes to Donolly's and bumps into his cousin, Martel."

That scene allowed me to reveal more of Jay and his personality, and show his relationships with his environment - elaborated a bit on how he's one of the few people his grandfather enjoys being with, how he's considered strange by his family but is nevertheless loved by them, and that the townspeople are generally fond of Jay.

Things like this allowed me to reinvigorate my love for the characters and places we see.

I don't know if that helps, but basically by focusing more on what I wanted to show the readers and how I could do it naturally, I was able to rework my passion for my book. It was by really sitting and thinking "I want them to love Jay and Kisa. I want them to wish Vix was real. I want them to imagine neurotic Edward, and the blundering Martel, and want to know more about each of these individuals." I think if you focus on your love for the characters and not so much the events, it'll come easily.

bdcharles

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »
Sometimes inspiration hits me as a result of some external cues - a place, a time, a scent etc. so if I need to top up that inspiration I recreate those conditions. Yes, this can be a slight problem if the inspiration is a. the weather at a particular time of year or b. someone being mad at me :) In those instances I just try remembering back or I have to find some similar-enough conditions....

briari hallow

• Dorklord
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • IX.XXVIII.XIV;
    • View Profile
    • Briari Hallow - a Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
Yes, similar to @bdcharles I find this also helps. I tend to try to take a note of those moments, as well.

Also, I have a "mood" album I listen to. Makara by E.S. Posthumus. I'm convinced that album is a portal to Fatale. Ahahaha.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Sometimes inspiration hits me as a result of some external cues - a place, a time, a scent etc. so if I need to top up that inspiration I recreate those conditions. Yes, this can be a slight problem if the inspiration is a. the weather at a particular time of year or b. someone being mad at me :) In those instances I just try remembering back or I have to find some similar-enough conditions....
Whatever it is, I recommend the OP consider what inspired them to create the story in the first place. At some point, something made them excited to embark on their endeavor in the first place. Why not dig back to those roots to reignite the spark?

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
I'll reply more to this tomorrow when I'm less sleepy, but:

Whatever it is, I recommend the OP consider what inspired them to create the story in the first place. At some point, something made them excited to embark on their endeavor in the first place. Why not dig back to those roots to reignite the spark?

The thing is, I literally was trying to come up with a challenge entry to submit within what was probably a span of a few hours when I wrote the original story that Storms of Magic is an expanded version of. There wasn't really anything that inspired me in the way that you're talking about, 'cause I literally just kind of made things up as I went. I ended up liking the characters of Merek and Arris so much that their story ended up expanding even further in my head...but there wasn't really any one thing that I'd say inspired it.