Unique Geographical Features

• 7 Replies

briari hallow

Unique Geographical Features
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
One of the great things about Fantasy is that we can create our own worlds, and they can look however we want them to. I'm sure some of us throw some epic earth science into some of the decisions about how the geography is, but it's not really necessary because after all, it is fantasy.

What are some unique geographical landmarks/features of your unique or altered world?
Is it an architectural feat that awes the masses? Is it a giant rock, larger than mountains? Is it a lake shaped like the foot of a giant?
Tell us about it, and elaborate all you'd like - we love to know the little details of the things you've made.

In Fatale I have a lot of landmarks, known as the Mark of the Mounts that I'm rather proud of.

Fimari's Plague (a series of volcanoes), Wasil's Reach (a natural harbor), The Wrath of Eifnes (a desert), and Namar's Valley (which I'll be elaborating on).

I also just have some cool places that I'm fond of, such as the Whispering Lakes (lakes that...whisper. They say it's the voices of the Dead), the Great Abyss (a huge fissure that was formed when the realm broke), the Endless Sea (It's Endless. Fatale is Flat, because Magic.), The Mount of Dragons (where a bunch of dragons solidified), the Crumbling Mountains (they crumble), and Lufinda's Lair (which is a giant er...not a swamp...what's the word?).

But my favorite is Namar's Valley.

It's a valley hidden in the mountains, inaccessible only through one entrance which the inhabitants could cut off to the rest of the world. It is a sanctuary, known as the womb of the realm where "love is as a fever, and the air is thick with the potential of the gods."

It's tropical, and somehow the balance of Beast and Blooms never is out of whack - everything is in perfect balance. It's a place where people can exist with little worry about basic things like shelter or food, and where the People who live there are welcoming and kind.

I was surprised when a few years ago they "discovered" a hidden valley in Korea or Thailand (I can't remember where but those two names are popping up and I can't find it for the life of me). It was a much smaller version of what I had imagined the Vale to be, but much to the same affect.

In the Vale there is the Great Tree, which is a giant, lively tree full of various fruits and flowers. It's told to be the way the Gods left the Realm and re--entered the Void.

There's also a giant elephant tusk, crystalized/covered in crystals. It's colossal in size, but is Namar's tusk lost in a duel when the realm was still new.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Geographical Features
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
-____-

I'll come back to this eventually, 'cause I haven't even figured any of this stuff out, due to a massive lack of world building on my part.
Current total goal: 25,000
July Camp Goal: 15,000 (4,474=difference needed to get to 15k)

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

bdcharles

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:10:11 AM »
In my world I have something called the Wrath. No-one quite knows what it is, and though it's nature and method of creation is one of the key motivators for the MC it is frequently invoked like we might invoke hell - "go jump in the Wrath!" etc. I could describe it here but I want to save it :)

@briari hallow it does seem rather like the bastard spawn of your "Great Abyss" sand "Mount of Dragons". I'll say no more than that... :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:13:26 AM by bdcharles »

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
In my world, there is the Scar which was formed at the end of the Purge / start of the Great War. It is level, but cannot be cruise or even approached by most. It is an area devoid of all magic due to a massive drain when slaughtering the dragons.

For those who live close, it causes a sickness. The gap in magic pulls the Šlic from any living thing nearby. Nothing grows there and the sickness runs deep into the earth. For a scar of this size, it is expected to take millions of years to see recovery. Small ones can take hundreds of years for the earth to recover.
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

Xanxa

• Apprentice
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
I have Mount Vernon, which petitioners climb when seeking an audience with the Gods.  There are several routes up the mountain, depending on which deity one wishes to consult.  The Stairway leads to the domain of one Goddess, while ascending to the crater of Vernon's Volcano puts one in touch with the Goddess of Fire. 

There are the Caves of Regrettion, a place for quiet contemplation, although there is always the chance that a mischevous spirit may play tricks. 

The deserts on my planet Sartoria have sentient sand, which can recognise individuals, particularly the members of the desert tribes.  Over time, the sand will get to know visitors and form a connection with them as well.  If it likes you, it will allow you to remain and will greet you by rippling gently beneath your feet. However, if it dislikes you, it will blow up into a violent sandstorm and won't let up until you leave or get destroyed. 

On Malvania, I have sentient swamps where the mud will recognise people in a similar way to how the sands of the desert work.  The principle is the same - if the mud likes you, it will bubble around you happily and keep you warm.  If it dislikes you, it will suck you under and drown you.  Those born in the swamplands can eat the mud like regular food but it will make outsiders rather sick if they try to eat it.  Some of the trees and vines in the swamplands are sentient too. 

There is a planet outside my main galaxy called Mafalia 6, where gravity is far lower than standard and the islands float in the air like clouds.  The trees have branches and leaves at both ends, and the whole planetary system was designed by Agrimages, special sorcerers with the ability to terraform and geoengineer worlds.  I only use it as a vacation destination and for teaching children to fly, due to the low gravity.  It's a fun place to go and it provides a light-hearted interlude from some of my darker scenes. 

Basically, all my planets are sentient to some degree.  Each one has a soul and a consciousness and can react to protect its inhabitants from various threats.  The threat has to be very serious for the planet to react in any noticeable way, since it drains a lot of energy from the planet's resources. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Irish_Carbomb

• Journeyman
  • Yarr! I'm a pirate. I be plunderin' yer werdz!
    • View Profile
    • The Author Known as Vanderbilt
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
I hadn't really considered this. I have a world that is completely subterranean. There's a crevice that's never been mapped, but it belches warm air. Lore says it goes to the fires of time's beginning.

Xanxa

• Apprentice
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
I hadn't really considered this. I have a world that is completely subterranean. There's a crevice that's never been mapped, but it belches warm air. Lore says it goes to the fires of time's beginning.

Never been mapped ... there's a suggestion for a quest right away.  Also, you could develop a whole load of lore and history about your subterranean world.  Was it always that way or did some natural disaster (or war maybe?) cause everyone to move underground?  Is the surface toxic in some way?  I'd put myself in the mindset of a visitor to that world, an explorer, maybe, and ask loads of questions.  Not as part of the novel, necessarily, but as an exercise in development. 

The fires of time's beginning?  Could an intrepid explorer travel back in time to witness the creation of your world? 

I suppose you need to establish how important the history of the world is to any novels that are set there.  Is it relevant to the events that are happening in your current novels? 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
Not sure if it is interesting to anyone else, but in my magic-heavy world (everyone can control magic as naturally as we breath, and it has impacted technology, fashion, and every other aspect of daily life) the Senate of one nation has created a vast earth elemental and frozen it in place in the ocean, building their Senate House and other government buildings up the arms and over the bent back.
This was done mostly as a demonstration of their power.