Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
IMPORTANT: Mobile/tablet browsing
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

It's been brought to my attention that there's at least two members of the site who've had issues browsing the forums from their phones. Now, I rarely ever browse the forums from my own phone (an iPhone 7), and I don't think I've ever really posted from it, but I haven't had any issues browsing it from my phone when I have. But I know that this is not the case for everyone.

Have you tried to browse the forum from your phone or a tablet?
If so, have you had any issues browsing it/posting from it?
Do you typically use a phone or a tablet to browse the site when you're unable to get onto a computer?
What kind of issues do you have, if any, when you do try browsing/posting from your phone/tablet?

So, there's an SMF mod that will specifically make ONE of the themes that's on the forum by default mobile friendly. It's free, so I have no issues installing it, but those looking to be able to browse the forums from a phone/tablet would need to be willing to switch the the theme they'd be using (on mobile/a tablet) from the Exodus (or Into the Black, if you're using that one) theme to the Curves theme in order to have the forum be more mobile friendly- or at least, that's what the mod is supposed to make happen.

Again, I personally haven't had any issues, so I have no idea what kind of differences there may or may not be between using that theme with the mod installed VS using the Exodus or Into the Black theme.

For the record, there is a last resort option- it costs $20.00, but this site has a specific mod for mobile browsing on SMF. It's not ideal, since it costs so much, but if the other mod somehow wasn't working, it's something we could possibly use, depending on how many people are actually looking to be able to browse the site from their phone, though I do know that being more mobile friendly would definitely be better in general.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:19:12 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

Ahryantah

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Multiple Universe Theory
Re: IMPORTANT: Mobile/tablet browsing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:08:11 AM »
I look at the site with a computer 95% of the time, but I do occasionally use my phone (an Android, HTC 10). I've never tried to post from my phone, but I haven't noticed any issues when just browsing.

Irish_Carbomb

• Apprentice
  • Yarr! I'm a pirate. I be plunderin' yer werdz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:42:03 AM »
I'm mainly on my phone when browsing. Once a thread reaches a certain point, it's almost impossible to navigate it without losing track of who's saying what. And if a post is more than a few paragraphs, it's just like slogging through mud trying to read it in such a narrow frame (scrolling.....still scrolling...I've forgotten what I was reading). I had a few issues posting from a Samsung Galaxy Prime (some buttons wouldn't load in the forum with manually reloading the page every time, and it was nearly impossible to navigate the library). From Iphone the same issues with threads being too long to bother with. Haven't attempted the library since switching phones.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:42:23 AM »
I'm mainly on my phone when browsing. Once a thread reaches a certain point, it's almost impossible to navigate it without losing track of who's saying what. And if a post is more than a few paragraphs, it's just like slogging through mud trying to read it in such a narrow frame (scrolling.....still scrolling...I've forgotten what I was reading). I had a few issues posting from a Samsung Galaxy Prime (some buttons wouldn't load in the forum with manually reloading the page every time, and it was nearly impossible to navigate the library). From Iphone the same issues with threads being too long to bother with. Haven't attempted the library since switching phones.

Hm, okay. I did just try looking at a thread with a lot of posts in it from my phone and I think I can see what you mean. I'm just not entirely sure, outside of you having to change the theme you're using for the forum to the one that the mod will work with (which may be easiest to do quickly from a computer rather than a phone, 'cause I think it'll be more of a pain if you try and do it from your phone otherwise), what can be done about it.  :-\ Sadly I have no clues about making things mobile friendly, outside of using the $20.00 mod that I found. There's another one that has a free version called Tapatalk but apparently it's not the greatest thing in the world (plus I'd have to change permissions to get it to work that I don't even know how to change). @Xyem might have some alternatives, but he probably won't be able to look at this thread until Sunday some time.

K_A_Webb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • The Many Worlds
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
I've just checked it out on my tablet, and it looked fine, but I wouldn't even try from my phone, because I know the screen is too small for me to bother with a forum. Forums, for me, are generally a computer thing, as it's just so much easier.

Dodochicky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
I'm browsing from my tablet at the moment and everything looks fine. However, I've not had a full wander around so I'm probably not a reliable source just yet. ;)

:D Dodo

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
I'm browsing from my tablet at the moment and everything looks fine. However, I've not had a full wander around so I'm probably not a reliable source just yet. ;)

:D Dodo

Hm, okay. If you find one of the posts that have long responses/more than one page to them, I'd be curious to know how much of a pain in the butt it is to read those posts and keep track of who's said what in them and see if it's anything like what @Irish_Carbomb described.

@Irish_Carbomb if I installed that mod I talked about, would you be willing to switch to the theme that it'll only work on in order to have the forum be more mobile friendly? It won't be anything...pretty compared to either of the current themes we have as choices, but the mod would hopefully make things more mobile friendly if you used that theme...that's what I was told, anyway.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
Bump!

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:25 AM »
Bump! Anyone else have any input on this subject? I'd really like to know how many people have actually tried to use the forum from their phones/tablets and had issues, 'cause that'll help with figuring out a solution to make it better, if possible.

Dodochicky

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »
Hi all,

I'm sorry for the delay in reply, life got in the way.

I've checked the forum out on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and have found it formats a little strangely. I think the narrow frame was mentioned by @Irish-Carbomb too. It's not narrowed to the point where the topics are illegible or anything, but it can be a touch confusing to read, especially with longer posts and large signature images - thats not a complaint about the images, though, just an observation. I don't know if this will be helpful or not.

:D Dodo.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Hi all,

I'm sorry for the delay in reply, life got in the way.

I've checked the forum out on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and have found it formats a little strangely. I think the narrow frame was mentioned by @Irish-Carbomb too. It's not narrowed to the point where the topics are illegible or anything, but it can be a touch confusing to read, especially with longer posts and large signature images - thats not a complaint about the images, though, just an observation. I don't know if this will be helpful or not.

:D Dodo.

No, this is definitely helpful, Dodo.

Like I said, the only option we really have (that doesn't cost money) is to install the mod that only works on one of the themes, and isn't even the default theme for the forum. But if there aren't a ton of people who are actively using mobile/a tablet to browse the forum right now, it might not be something that we necessarily NEED to worry about right this second? It doesn't seem like anyone is really jumping in and demanding that we do something to make the forum more mobile friendly at the moment (I know @Silver uses her phone to browse the forum a lot, though, so if you want, I can install the mod for you, you'd just have to switch to the appropriate theme when browsing the forum), so I think we can probably hold off on doing anything else (like paying for a mod that will make it more mobile friendly).

If there's anyone else who does browse the site from mobile and hasn't yet chimed in, though, feel free to do so.

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
To be honest, it's not the end of the world for me. I mean, I can get on to the forum and read and write replies. It's just that the formatting is a little off and I can't see certain things at a glance, which is a pain when I am supposed to be keeping an eye on stuff. But the activity stream helps, and I am on my laptop most evenings.

It was more of a concern that lots of people browse on their phones or tablets now, so if other people were having issues like me, I could see how it might affect posting. But it's not necessary to change anything just for me.

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
I'm almost exclusively mobile now... My onlu problem is a tendency to be incoherent or have lots of typos. But that's a problem with me and not the forum.

On the Samsung Note 4 for reference. I find this forum a lot easier to navigate than some. It optimises really well for me. Ok, sure there are about 8 words to a line with the narrower screen, but I have had no trouble with the long threads and posts. Maybe that's because I'm so used to being mobile that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Large images are a pain (maps thread). The text stays nice and narrow but the while post gets a sideways scroll to see the image and if you move to see the right if the image, the text disappears and you have to stay back. So it scrolls the whole post, not just the image.

Buttons have been fine. Not had any issues reading or posting in general. The activity log at the top is useful. I tried viewing it with a desktop mode request and no... No. This works fine in mobile.

Oooh. Just noticed, the header banner formats weirdly. And that's only because I was looking for problems.
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.