Being a Ghostwriter

• 5 Replies

K_A_Webb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • The Many Worlds
Being a Ghostwriter
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
For the last two and a half years I've been working as a ghostwriter. I purely write fiction, because non-fiction is something I am truly terrible at, and I've been lucky enough to actually earn a living from it pretty much all of that time. There are months that are slower than others. There are times when you have to chase people up for money they owe you. There are times when you panic that you have no work, and then you get three projects to start.

This is here for those of you who want to ask any questions. I'm more than willing to answer any you might have, apart from any on what specifically I've worked on. Non-disclosure agreements mean I can't, as does my own personal morals, but I can answer more general questions.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Being a Ghostwriter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
I'm not overly sure on what ghostwriting really is tbh, I know you write it and the other person gets credit, but why? And do you have to copy their writing style, speaking style etc?

K_A_Webb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • The Many Worlds
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 05:35:22 AM »
With the majority of my clients it's that they have an idea they want to see written, but they don't feel they have the skill to write it. Others don't have the time to write everything they want to. As I have that skill I'm more than willing to help.

Some ghostwriters do need to copy the style of writing that has already been done. I'm pretty certain that what James Patterson's ghostwriters have to do. For me it's different. I have some samples of writing up, and if someone likes the way I write then they message me to ask if I will work for them.

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »
Oooh cool! Is it weird that I've always really, really wanted to ghost write? I've just never been sure how one even starts, though I've been considering applying for something like Paper Lantern Lit for a while now. How'd you get into it?
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/

K_A_Webb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • The Many Worlds
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
I set up a gig on Fiverr, and it was pure luck things took off. Before one person took a chance on me I'd never ghost written for anyone, and the longer I've gone on the more work I've got, so it's been pretty good for me.

JayLee

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:31 AM »
Cool. I'm glad you had good luck! I may have to start thinking about this more seriously.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
http://www.artbyjaylee.weebly.com/