IMPORTANT: In need of Ideas/Calling all Artists!

• 25 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
  • Library Link: Author Profile
IMPORTANT: In need of Ideas/Calling all Artists!
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
First, I wanted to let you guys know that our (former) staff member, Briari Hallow, decided that it was time for her to leave the forum on Thursday, and as a result asked us to remove her account. Since she drew the dragon image we've been using on the lading page, forum and for advertisements, she also asked for us to no longer use that, which means we need a new image to use on our advertisements and such. That's where you guys come in!

For those of you who can't/don't draw:
We're looking for ideas for what YOU guys would like to see as the new image that we'll be using for our advertisements and on various social media sites. It could be a few different fantasy characters all drawn into one scene together (i.e. some knights on horseback charging toward a castle, a princess in a tower, a dragon flying in the sky...), or it could be two different characters, like on the previous dragon image, or...pretty much almost anything else (I'm not the artsy type (when it comes to drawing, anyway), so I have no idea what other choices there could be :P ). It could be one character, sitting in a library with tons of books, and a little dragon companion and a quill and ink pot on a desk and...I dunno what else. :P You get the picture.

It needs to be something that fits the fantasy genre and can also represent Worldsmyths a bit. Kings, queens, princesses, knights, mages, magic, elves, fairies, etc.

Please use this post to help us discuss some ideas to give the artists for potential scene ideas!
We would love to hear YOUR ideas, no matter how vague or detailed, so don't be shy!

For those of you who CAN draw
We'd like your help with the images! We want to give all of our members who are willing and know how to draw to draw something to be used on various parts of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest), on the landing page, and on various other sites that we advertise the site on.

We would like to have multiple different drawings from different artists, so that we can rotate through using each image.

You are also more than welcome to give your initial ideas to us in this thread before starting the drawings.

Things to Know/Requirements:
-These drawings will need to be fairly detailed.
-We'd like for it to be a colored drawing, like the dragon image was, so that it helps stand out in our advertising. If you do not have a way to color it in after you've sketched it out, one of our other members may be able to do it for you.
-You will be given proper credit in the FAQ post (and possibly elsewhere on the forum).
-No other text (i.e. the name Worldsmyths - we'll be adding that on ourselves) besides your signature, if that's what you put on your drawings, should be on the images.
-We reserve the right to tell you if a drawing isn't quite what we're looking for - i.e. if we don't think it really fits the fantasy genre somehow, but encourage you to give it another try.

We know that it takes time to draw things and get them right, but we would really like these new images some time in the next week or two (sooner would be better, but obviously you shouldn't rush yourselves) if possible.

You are more than welcome, and encouraged, to use this thread to post your progress on anything you sketch out and want to show us. You can also submit your final products to this thread.

Here are the sizes we need for the images - keep in mind that they'll be cropped a bit automatically by Facebook.
Signature/regular ad: 550px 150px
Facebook cover: 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall
Twitter: 1500px by 500px

I THINK I've given all the needed information, but there may be more that I'm not thinking of at the moment, so I may end up editing this post.

We look forward to hearing everyone's ideas and seeing what you come up with for drawings!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:26:27 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: In need of Ideas/Calling all Artists!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »
I forgot to say that any artists who draw something for this can also submit their final products to this thread for us to see!

JayLee

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »
I assume digital is preferred? I don't know if I have any ideas to draw, but I'd be willing to help out in any way, even (as mentioned) coloring if needed. I'll miss the pretty dragon though :) I like dragons.
Writer's Arithmetic: Cup of tea + blanket + book/sketchpad = Heaven
 http://paperweighteditorial.tumblr.com/

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:32:39 AM »
I assume digital is preferred? I don't know if I have any ideas to draw, but I'd be willing to help out in any way, even (as mentioned) coloring if needed. I'll miss the pretty dragon though :) I like dragons.

Yes, digital! That's what I meant by it needing to be colored in, I just blanked on the proper term. :P

I'm really hoping that everyone will start discussing potential ideas in this thread with us so that we can give some inspiration to any artist(s) who decide they want to do this and give them an idea of what to draw.

Yay! I was hoping you'd want to do it! :D

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
No one has any ideas?! :O I can't believe that. We're a bunch of writers, we should be able to collaborate on an idea for this image that's going to represent Worldsmyths! :P

@Tyrannohotep and @Mars I know you both draw- do either of you have any interest in contributing artwork to this? @Sheepy-Pie is going to draw something, too, I believe, but we'd like EVERYONE'S help with coming up with some ideas for potential artwork.

Tyrannohotep

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
@Jedi Knight Muse
Sure, I'll be glad to contribute. Is there anything in particular you want me to draw?

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
@Jedi Knight Muse
Sure, I'll be glad to contribute. Is there anything in particular you want me to draw?

Well that's partially what this thread is for, is for us to brainstorm some ideas for some potential images...like I said in the original post, it could be some knights on horseback charging toward a castle, a princess in a tower, a dragon flying in the sky...), or it could be two different characters, like on the previous dragon image, or it could be something totally different...as long as the images work in a fantasy setting and are something that encompass Worldsmyths. That idea is literally the only one I've come up with, but I'm not in love with it or anything, which is why I want everyone to brainstorm together...

...so if you have any ideas, feel free to list them. Or if you want to sketch something and then show us, go for it. This is the original image we were using (ignore the text part of it, for the moment):

so I think something similar as far as "typical" fantasy creatures/characters go might be better, unless someone has an entirely different idea. It doesn't even necessarily need to have fantasy creatures on it...I mean, it could literally be, say, a hand, holding a world with some indications of it being a fantasy world (i.e. castles and forests and such that you'd see from an eagle eye view of a world) and a dragon flying in the sky or something, I dunno.

But I'm hoping for some of the non-artists to help brainstorm, too, so if you guys have any ideas, please reply!

JayLee

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »
Well.... I guess I did a sketch. All I could think of was questing though. This is just a rough, with a rough idea of what sorts of colors I might use when coloring...

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
Well.... I guess I did a sketch. All I could think of was questing though. This is just a rough, with a rough idea of what sorts of colors I might use when coloring...

Ooh, I like that. I think it's definitely better than the initial idea I had, 'cause what I was thinking of was, as Sheepy mentioned to me, kinda too stereotypical, but I think yours wouldn't be.

I tried to do a drawing of the hand holding a world thing and I faaaailed.

...but you get the general idea. :P

(And don't worry, JayLee, we'll still use your image. Like I said, we're going to rotate through the different images that artists come up with. But this might give a general idea for anyone else who decided to draw something for this.)

JayLee

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Paperweight Editorial
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 03:50:57 PM »
Alright, here is proposed idea #1 all colored in... As I said, I couldn't really think of anything else, and I know it's a bit silly, but voila.

I like the hand holding a world idea. I'll see if I can do a sketch of it too, if wanted (*happily breaks out contact juggling reference pics she's been dying to use forever).

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
Alright, here is proposed idea #1 all colored in... As I said, I couldn't really think of anything else, and I know it's a bit silly, but voila.

I like the hand holding a world idea. I'll see if I can do a sketch of it too, if wanted (*happily breaks out contact juggling reference pics she's been dying to use forever).

OMG I love it! It's so cute! ^_^

I'd love to see what you can do with the world holding idea, too, so definitely!

Arc

• Librarium Testers
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »

That is phenomenal.

Mars

• Apprentice
  • The artsy fartsy child
    • View Profile
    • Cracked Flash Fiction Competition
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
@Jedi Knight Muse -- I've been without internet since Monday, so I hadn't even seen this post yet. It gives me more opportunity to procrastinate on my Camp Nano Novel! XD I'll break out my tablet and see what I can come up with

@JayLee -- THAT IS SO PRETTY, A+++

Mars

• Apprentice
  • The artsy fartsy child
    • View Profile
    • Cracked Flash Fiction Competition
Re: In need of Ideas/Calling all Artists!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »

So I poked around and sketched out some preliminary ideas. Thoughts?

sapheyerblu

• Librarium Testers
  • Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »
I haven't weighed in on this as I can't draw AT ALL!!

That being said, I think it'd be kinda cool to see a dragon in full flight with a world between its wings. Jmo....