Why fantasy?

• 13 Replies

Arc

• Librarium Testers
  • Novice
    • View Profile
Why fantasy?
« on: April 05, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »
This is something I've been wondering for a while. Why fantasy? What draws us to read and right it over other genres? Of course there is the question what exactly fantasy is, but we have two threads about that already. I have some thoughts on why I am so attracted to fantasy, but i want to see other's thoughts first.

Sheepy-Pie

• Mistress of Death
  • Global Moderator
  • Master
  • It lasted forever, And ended so soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Why fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
Believable unbelievability. And fucking magic. Like a thread of imagination gone wild. Whereas Sci-fi is too logical which is why I don't think I ever got into it.

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
Funny thing, i honestly can't say why. That is especially strange considering that with other entertainment mediums like movies, tv shows or video games i'm a big fan of sci-fi stuff, but with novels it's only fantasy (or 95% fantasy).
My guess is that with novels i like the truly epic scale of conflict and journey that is common in high fantasy, maybe because i'm also a fast reader. And somehow that fantasy = medievial like setting is ingrained in my brain. Might be just the result of over twenty years of conditioning (reading).
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count Total: 28,677
Word Count Draft: 19,087

SecretRock

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
For me, it's because it's not real. Why write something set in the real world when I write to escape that? It's probably a little unhealthy but whatever. I prefer it over sci fi because I get too bogged down in how things work with that.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
It's hard for me to pin down a specific reason. I've always loved made up worlds, because as a writer you can basically do whatever the hell you want and aren't restricted by anything other than the rules that you set for that world. I write fantasy, like someone said above, to escape reality. Reality is boring. Reality is restrictive. I don't want to be restricted all the time. I love writing stories about adventures and princesses in distress and magic. ESPECIALLY magic. I blame Star Wars and the Force for my love of magic, because that's essentially what the Force is.
Current total goal: 25,000
July Camp Goal: 15,000 (4,474=difference needed to get to 15k)

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

ScribblerKat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
I had to think about this, because my knee-jerk reaction was to say, "That's what I can write." So I pondered it, and this is what I came up with. It sounds ridiculous, but... my stories are character driven, and I want the freedom of not being tied down to reality. Reality sucks, anyway. With fantasy, I create all the settings and all the rules. Half the time I make them up as I go along (and take good notes). But there are no limits. My characters can go where I want them to go. It's more fun to build a world than to be forced to work with reality. Note that it's not less work! But it is more fun, and I go to each story with a sense of joyful freedom.

The peculiar thing is that I also write Regency romances, which are about as far on the other end of the freedom-in-writing as you can get. But at least I don't have readers telling me, "You can't get to Chicago that way" or "That song wasn't released until 1996."
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »
I want the freedom of not being tied down to reality. Reality sucks, anyway. With fantasy, I create all the settings and all the rules. Half the time I make them up as I go along (and take good notes). But there are no limits. My characters can go where I want them to go. It's more fun to build a world than to be forced to work with reality. Note that it's not less work! But it is more fun, and I go to each story with a sense of joyful freedom.

Aaaaaaaaall of this!
Current total goal: 25,000
July Camp Goal: 15,000 (4,474=difference needed to get to 15k)

Storms of Magic - Draft 1

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:51 PM »
Fantasy is my escape. I create entire worlds, people, races... everything. And the worlds aren't perfect. They are often dark and dangerous. But they are mine. They are somewhere I am free, without the constraints of reality and the burden of responsibility. My characters, though often rebellious, are my creations. I can do what I like to them and push them to their limits.
 I can live my wildest dreams through the page and yet still never know quite where I'm going.

That and I am utterly useless at writing anything else. Fantasy is my element.
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

CMMai

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
It is like everyone else has already said. Freedom. I have tried modern day writing and get bogged down with it all. Fantasy has its own rules anything can happen. I am also a gamer so i live in fantasy i enjoy fantasy. D&D, WoW and even my TV series are big in fantasy.

Silver

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
I like the fact that anything could happen. If you can imagine it, it can be reality. You can have magic and dragons and swords and assassins and danger around every corner.

To go a little deeper, I started writing fantasy when I was very young. I grew up in a very chaotic and unsafe environment, and my fantasies gave me comfort. Although I eventually grew out of it, I used to put myself in my stories - I would be strong and powerful, with friends and a love interest and no one could harm me any more.

rkcapps

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
It's fun to write and let your mind explore the limits of your imagination :)

Tort

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
Sci-fi makes me want to understand how things work (being an engineer irl).  Trying to define how a spaceship moves through space and how technology got to where it is today.  What are the physics to the problem?  Yes, there are the it just works types, but my mind wants to know. 

In Fantasy, I make the rules, can break the rules with reason. 

Ever realize most aliens are humanoid or bug shaped, what about blobs or lines, how do we know they aren't 4 dimensional and how would you interact with it?  How do your communicate with new aliens without pushing the just believe button.

Fantasy, there can be magic (which I've used) to overcome language barriers, learning through studies.  Creatures can be defined and fantastic things can be done without wondering why a sword can pierce dragon skin, but the weight of the dragon doesn't crush it's body. 

One day, I'd like to develop a sci-fi world, but I need more brainpower and to finish my other WIP's.

Xanxa

• Apprentice
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
For me, it's because it's not real. Why write something set in the real world when I write to escape that? It's probably a little unhealthy but whatever. I prefer it over sci fi because I get too bogged down in how things work with that.

Good answer.  Escapism is the thing, even if some real-world issues creep in. 

I also agree about sci-fi.  I have never felt the need to know the in-depth workings of a space ship, laser rifles and the like.  If it's a ship, all I need to know is that it travels through space.  I've watched enough Star Trek, Stargate, etc, to gather the basic principle of faster than light travel, relativistic speeds, wormholes, etc.  If it's a weapon, all I need to know is that it can kill people if aimed accurately.  I'm all about the characters and the plot.  Technology is just part of the scenery for me.
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Xanxa

• Apprentice
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
It is like everyone else has already said. Freedom. I have tried modern day writing and get bogged down with it all. Fantasy has its own rules anything can happen. I am also a gamer so i live in fantasy i enjoy fantasy. D&D, WoW and even my TV series are big in fantasy.

I'd also agree with this.  I've written a couple of murder mysteries but I found it hard going, especially with the amount of research required for police procedures, amounts of poison required, how much pressure it takes to strangle someone, etc. 

I guess I'm a world-builder at heart.  I've always preferred to create my own playgrounds for my characters rather than using this world.  Even with urban fantasy (my preferred genre for writing), it still allows a great deal of freedom.  Yes, some of my characters have cellphones and can hack into computers, but they also cast spells, fly and turn invisible.  I love melding modern technology with sorcery. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.