What's happening in your world RIGHT this second?

• 25 Replies

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
What's happening in your world RIGHT this second?
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
(This is technically more of a plot/world building question, but I decided to stick it here.)

We all have our various writing projects that we're working on. Let's talk about what's going on in the worlds you're writing RIGHT this second. If you're only in the world building/plotting stage and haven't started writing yet, that's fine- tell us the most recent thing you've figured out about the world/plot.

For me, my character Arris has been on a ship for a while that's going to Tethra where he's going to be hiding out. The ship was attacked by some kind of assassins, and the assassins killed one of the shipmates and tried to kidnap Emerlyn, the captain's "daughter" (aka a princess). Arris tried to save her and got stabbed and knocked overboard and unconscious. That was in the second to last scene I wrote. In the current scene (that I've managed to get myself stuck on), he woke up after Emerlyn used magic to heal him (and after she and the captain were fighting over whether or not she should use her magic to do so) and now he's talking to her. The last line I literally wrote was "how did you escape?"
Storms of Magic - Draft 2 Currently being beta read
Untitled sequel to Storms of Magic - currently being written!

CMMai

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your world RIGHT this second?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
Well that is a good question how did they escape? was it magic? did they jump over board and hope for the best? I assume he doesn't know she has magic? After a stab wound being healed like that i think she need to decide if she can trust him with her secret.

So where am i currently in my story?

Not that far outside the large city of Travos in a field by the forest a gypsy camp finds itself under attack by the Nightmare Cult. Caleb is faced with the realization his sister, after being kidnapped, has been turned in to a Nightmare Spinner and has been devoured by the darkness in her own heart. She wants him dead. Outnumber and desperate Caleb leaps into battle, he will try save Alana at any cost.

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
In the current scene (that I've managed to get myself stuck on), he woke up after Emerlyn used magic to heal him (and after she and the captain were fighting over whether or not she should use her magic to do so) and now he's talking to her. The last line I literally wrote was "how did you escape?"
Oooh. So she didn't end up going over the side? I must say, I'm feeling overly invested in this story >.> Give me MORE!

Not that far outside the large city of Travos in a field by the forest a gypsy camp finds itself under attack by the Nightmare Cult. Caleb is faced with the realization his sister, after being kidnapped, has been turned in to a Nightmare Spinner and has been devoured by the darkness in her own heart. She wants him dead. Outnumber and desperate Caleb leaps into battle, he will try save Alana at any cost.
This sounds pretty awesome. Is there any coming back? Or is the fall to darkness irreversible?

What's happening in my world? Well.. Known first I support suppose. Raic is navigating a hidden settlement of men who have magic but scorn the Otherkin and have plans woth with Aknar to assassinate the king. Tarsin has gone west with the traders without permission and is ducking the Guard whenever he sees them. They just arrived in Ishtar and he has had to scarper as the village has been Cleansed and the soldiers are still their there building.

Unknown to the protagonists: the king is away from his throne and is visiting Aknar but is trying to gauge his chances at reclaiming the north. There are three factions I know of moving in for his assassination and as he plans to betray the treaty, so doors does the Mountain King. The fenices in Fyren are stirring and have seen the second age of darkness. The ælfá in Eihäldär are dealing the death of their trees which is a much bigger problem than it sounds when you know more about them. The people of Pelek are under the influence of the Scar (a dead place where all magic has been siphoned from) and the country is crumbling. And slavers have travelled through Fate's Passage and brought strange creatures from the west to both Cyrell and Aknar.

EDIT: don't wrote write on your phone... Bad grammar and abysmal spelling.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:33:00 PM by HSCook »
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

CMMai

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
HSCook

In reply to your comment at this stage of the story there is No cure. But I have thought about it previously and have something in the works for one.  Even though i give this information i promise much twists to keep one surprised.

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:35:06 PM »
HSCook

In reply to your comment at this stage of the story there is No cure. But I have thought about it previously and have something in the works for one.  Even though i give this information i promise much twists to keep one surprised.

The next question that is raise is, if you are thinking about one, does there need to be a cure? Could be more fun without... But then who likes happy endings?
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

CMMai

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »
Hmmm what to say with out giving away to much .... This book has its good happy moments but it is very dark, people will die and a lot of bad things happen. The cure may or may not show up until later books, its a work in progress and as you suggested it may not happen. Alana's fate is sealed though she will forever be in darkness.

Tyrannohotep

• Master
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:11:15 AM »
What I am working on right now is a sort of historical fantasy set in the ancient Near East around 1990 BC.

The Pharaoh of Egypt, Mentuhotep IV, has recently died in a bloody coup, with his treacherous and power-hungry advisor Amenemhat claiming the throne for himself. Meanwhile, way over in Mesopotamia, the aging Sumerian King Shulgi has to put up with marauding Amorites on his empire's western frontier (he has built a wall to keep them out, but they've simply walked around it).

My protagonist is Nubkhas, a daughter of Mentuhotep who has fled Egypt after Amenemhat's coup and seeks a new career as a mercenary in Sumer. In the first scene I'm writing at the moment, she's landed at the Sumerian capital of Ur, but has to put up with racial microaggressions from the locals (e.g. they want to touch her "woolly" hair). Later she'll get into a brawl after some drunkards harass her sexually, which throws her into trouble with the Sumerian authorities under Shulgi. And that's all I have planned out at the moment unfortunately. Would appreciate some suggestions on how to carry on the plot from there.
Author of the Dinosaurs & Dames anthology

My big art thread

Also, check out my website!

ScribblerKat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:04 AM »
A sea elf summoned my two FMCs to the beach to test them. They've come from another world (ours), and it must verify that they will keep their oath not bring things or ideas through the portal that brought them to the Vale. Lenar, the wizard who can talk to and understand the elf, says that they have bought some time, but that they will still have to destroy the portal. Which is a big problem, because the two young women have to go through the portal together, but while Mericca wants to stay in the Vale, Sarah wants to go back home.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 12:01:42 AM »
In the current scene (that I've managed to get myself stuck on), he woke up after Emerlyn used magic to heal him (and after she and the captain were fighting over whether or not she should use her magic to do so) and now he's talking to her. The last line I literally wrote was "how did you escape?"
Oooh. So she didn't end up going over the side? I must say, I'm feeling overly invested in this story >.> Give me MORE!

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your question! I got the notification and intended to reply and then it ended up not happening and I couldn't remember which thread it was in and who asked the question. -_-

In answer to your question, I think I've somehow manged to fail at describing the whole thing with her going over the side, which had led to confusion.

You know how ships have the small little rowboats that usually hang over the side, hung by ropes? The assassins would have used one of those to get to the ship that Arris is on, and probably climbed up a ladder of some kind to get on board. When they go over the side with the princess, they're going down below into the row boat that they used to get to the ship. So she did go over the side, just not into the actual water. Arris is the one who ends up in the actual water, but at that point the assassins have started to row away with Emerlyn on board, until the crew members of the ship Arris has been sailing on are able to rescue her and Arris. Does that make sense?

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:20 AM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your question! I got the notification and intended to reply and then it ended up not happening and I couldn't remember which thread it was in and who asked the question. -_-

In answer to your question, I think I've somehow manged to fail at describing the whole thing with her going over the side, which had led to confusion.

You know how ships have the small little rowboats that usually hang over the side, hung by ropes? The assassins would have used one of those to get to the ship that Arris is on, and probably climbed up a ladder of some kind to get on board. When they go over the side with the princess, they're going down below into the row boat that they used to get to the ship. So she did go over the side, just not into the actual water. Arris is the one who ends up in the actual water, but at that point the assassins have started to row away with Emerlyn on board, until the crew members of the ship Arris has been sailing on are able to rescue her and Arris. Does that make sense?

I figured they had gone down the rigging into a smaller raiding boat, but assumptions then were that she was kidnapped. I can see what you are doing though and can sort of consolidate it in my head.

I'm guessing with an explanation of her rescue the timeline and timeframe will both be clearer. The confusion comes from her presence after what was a rather vicious kidnapping. It's a little jarring in concept (though I'm hoping when it's written it won't be!) and has that 'out-of-the-loop' feeling that can either be absolutely brilliant or an unwavering disaster. It's a very very close perspective at that point; the reader only knows what Arris knows. It raises several other questions as well.

I'm growing too invested... Trianne will accuse me of neglecting my own characters and drag me off to Tolen's Get...

ArtemisMorgan

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
For me, right now, my two MCs - Euriona and Afallon - are heading into the dungeons of the fairies' castle, and are about to discover how the fairies stay youthful for so long... by feasting on newborns! Yaaay! As both of them ate dinner with the fairies, this will appropriately scar them both for life, particularly as one of them quite enjoyed the meal. Pretty sure they're going to want to run away, after that. Unfortunately, that will involve leaving one of the servants behind, whom they've grown quite fond of!

SecretRock

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
My protag had what she believed to be a prophetic dream, broke into a science facility, and has now been caught by the head researcher of that facility, who is question the legitimacy of her claim that not only did she not plan to steal anything, but she used magic to break in.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »

I figured they had gone down the rigging into a smaller raiding boat, but assumptions then were that she was kidnapped. I can see what you are doing though and can sort of consolidate it in my head.

I'm guessing with an explanation of her rescue the timeline and timeframe will both be clearer. The confusion comes from her presence after what was a rather vicious kidnapping. It's a little jarring in concept (though I'm hoping when it's written it won't be!) and has that 'out-of-the-loop' feeling that can either be absolutely brilliant or an unwavering disaster. It's a very very close perspective at that point; the reader only knows what Arris knows. It raises several other questions as well.

I'm growing too invested... Trianne will accuse me of neglecting my own characters and drag me off to Tolen's Get...

Yeah, that's largely due to the fact that there's a serious lack of description on my part in what I wrote for the scene...which is both because I think I was writing it later at night and getting tired and because I wanted to just write it and get it down while I still could and had the focus for writing the scene, and didn't want to worry about not being descriptive enough.

So yes, once I have waaay more details, and once I actually, like, you know, have Emerlyn answer, things will be made clearer. I did try to keep writing the scene a few days ago and then I stopped, but this is what I have at the moment:

“My father and his men were able to stop the kidnappers before they got me up onto their ship, after they grabbed you from out of the water,” Emerlyn answered. “I’ll be back with a bowl of soup. You need to take it easy and get some rest.”

She put a hand on his where it lay on top of the covers, and suddenly there was a wave of warmth that came over Arris as a connection seemed to form between them.

Arris looked from their hands to Emerlyn’s wide eyes. She quickly pulled her hand away and moved to stand up, their hands still barely touching.

“Emerlyn.” He waited until she looked at him again. “Thank you.”

Emerlyn nodded with a smile and closed the door behind her, leaving Arris alone.

Arris put his hand on top of the bandage where his wound was and pressed hard. It didn’t even hurt. How was that possible if Emerlyn had given him stitches? Had she used some kind of magic to heal him and tried to cover it up? That would explain the warm sensation he had felt earlier. But why lie about it?

For the same reason you haven’t told her you have magic - it’s dangerous, he thought.

He leaned his head back and stared up at the ceiling. He’d heard about other races, ones that passed as humans, that had healing capabilities. They could wave a hand over a wound and it would instantly be healed, making it seem like it was never there. He tried to remember the name of one race that Merek had rambled to him about once, but Arris had admittedly not paid enough attention to catch anything more about them than the fact that they had healing abilities.

Arris thought back to that moment only a few minutes ago when his and Emerlyn’s hands had touched. It was an almost familiar feeling, as if there were a vague connection of sorts that was barely within his grasp.

What had happened earlier was definitely a confirmation that Emerlyn had magic of some kind, perhaps beyond any healing capabilities that she had used to save his life. But he had no real way of finding out what kind of magic Emerlyn had and why there seemed to be a distant connection between them.

“I wish you were here, Merek,” Arris sighed. At least Merek would have been able to research the connection that seemed to have been formed.

&

A few days later, Arris stood above deck by the side rail, looking out at the open water. Gideon came up next to him, his arms clasped behind his back as the older man followed Arris’s gaze out onto the open sea. There was a silence between them until Gideon finally cleared his throat.

“How are you feeling?” the captain asked.

“Better than I have in a long time, actually. It’s strange . . . I’ve gotten stitches before, but these stitches from this wound didn’t even feel like stitches. And it doesn’t even hurt compared to other stab wounds,” Arris replied, glancing at him out of the corner of his eye.

“Emerlyn is knowledgable in medicine and knows how to make even the worst wounds feel like a scratch.”

Arris hesitated. The question he wanted to ask was on the tip of his tongue, but he’d seen what Gideon’s temper was like, especially when it came to Emerlyn. If he asked the wrong question, he could find himself back in the water with no chance of rescue this time. Still, he had to know.

“I have a friend who’s well read on various types of magic. I remember him mentioning something about a healing ability that’s common up north. I vaguely remember him describing something along the lines of what I felt when Emerlyn gave me those stitches.”

Gideon’s head turned so fast, Arris half expected his fist to come flying towards his face. His eyes were wide as he glanced behind him before looking right back into Arris’ eyes. “I’ll not have you talking about magic and Emerlyn again, do you understand? How Emerlyn healed you is none of your business, beyond the fact that she did it and saved your life. You saved hers from those bounty hunters, and I know I can’t ever fully repay you for that.”

The captain reached toward a pouch on his belt and before Arris could even try to argue, the pouch was shoved into his chest. “Here. You’ll need these when we reach Tethra, I suspect.”

“Sir, I don’t want any money for saving Emerlyn,” Arris said, holding the pouch in his hand.

“It’s not common currency in Tethra in that pouch, boy. Trust me, you’ll need it,” Gideon said in irritation, moving away from Arris.

Arris untied the pouch and pulled one of the coins out. He held a silver coin with [insert description of coin here, ha]. He’d never seen a symbol on any other currency, especially in Illyria.

Again, this is seriously lacking in details, I think, so pretend there's way more details than what's there...and also know that this isn't where the scene leaves off, it's just where I left off in writing it. (Actually, I just added the part that mentions Merek 'cause it just came to me.)

Maybe it would make more sense to have him wake up a few days (maybe, like, two at max?) after the attack, to help with the time frame of the events. I really hate Emerlyn's answer at the moment...I was basically imagining that they'd kidnap her, but they wouldn't get far enough to REALLY kidnap her and make the crew members have to, like, chase after the ship...which I now realize kind of makes the whole kidnap attempt kind of...weak, I guess? Like, they're supposed to be assassin-type-people, and they can't even successfully kidnap a princess and get her to wherever they're supposed to be bringing her? But meh. I'll worry about that when I eventually add more details to the entire scene, because otherwise it might hang me up even more on continuing to write it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:26:12 AM by Jedi Knight Muse »

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
OK, so...this is kind of a fun question for me because I'm working on two novels, and one of them has been done out-of-order and is getting fill-ins to connect the parts that are already done. (Not really "filler," per se, but more like "hey...I skipped over a major event because it was going to be a pain to write, and now I have to put that in so I don't have a month-long gap right in the middle.")

So...in the prequel, MC just attended the funeral of the first of his brothers to die. (The second-youngest in age, MC being the firstborn.)

In the story itself, he's doing some busy work while he waits for someone to get back to him and confirm whether his suspicions about where his missing apprentice is are true.

He is also, in another chapter, meeting a foreign dignitary.

In another chapter, he's holding his daughter after giving her bad news.

In another chapter, he's having a heart-to-heart with his son.

Hooray for working on four different chapters in one story (and a prequel) at the same time in totally non-chronological order.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
@True Neutral all of those things sound intriguing. XD

Right now, Arris finally arrived in Tethra and headed to Merek's estate where he fought one of Merek's brothers, who is now about to show him where the magic users go to hide out/get supplies (aka the underground marketplace).

Merek is still out in limbo somewhere, trying to find the evidence he needs to exonerate Arris because I haven't figured out the details for what he needs to do in order to find the evidence he needs and all that, and I've been avoiding writing any scenes with him in it because of that. I probably need to try and fix this, but I need to figure out the details of the mystery that he's essentially solving.

@Ahryantah suggested in a different post I'd made that I should try writing in the POV's of Emerlyn and Cressida, because it could basically expand further on the plot...and for the sake of boosting my word count for Camp, and possibly coming up with more sub-plots, I might try writing at least one or two scenes in their POV's, and then if they end up not working with the rest of the story, they'll get cut out.