What's happening in your world RIGHT this second?

• 25 Replies

True Neutral

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your world RIGHT this second?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 09:10:37 AM »
The two most annoying characters to write have just showed up for a chat with my MC.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
  • Psychedelic Purple Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
I'm at the point in my editing where the MC's wife has gone missing.  He knows that she has been having an affair.  The marriage has always been a stormy one and he never really trusted her, but wanted to see the best in her.  Although he no longer loves his wife, he is very concerned for her safety and is searching the city for her, having exhausted all enquiries with her known friends and acquaintances and having checked all her hangouts.  Given her former occupation as a prostitute, he has widened his search to the seedier districts of the city. 

(Why did he marry a prostitute in the first place, you might ask.  It was partly to do with an undercover mission that he was on, but also to do with a prophecy which he has decided to embrace rather than fight against).
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
Technically, Arris is following Merek's brother to the underground marketplace...but I'm hating what I started to write of that part of the chapter because it's very much a "making shit up as I go" kind of thing right now, and I hate the beginning of this "making shit up" thing for this part of the chapter. It's a large reason as to why I haven't been working on it lately. I'm going to start working on it again, though. I think.

...Merek is off in oblivion still trying to find evidence to prove that Arris is innocent 'cause I haven't written any chapters with him in a long time due to not really knowing how to write the whole "solve a murder, prove innocence" thing.
NaNoWriMo 2018

Xanxa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
...Merek is off in oblivion still trying to find evidence to prove that Arris is innocent 'cause I haven't written any chapters with him in a long time due to not really knowing how to write the whole "solve a murder, prove innocence" thing.

It depends on your character's abilities.  Does he have any special powers?  Does he have any friends with experience in investigative procedures?  You could have him stumble serendipitously across a clue which leads him to solve the murder.  There might be new evidence that the falsely accused person couldn't have been in that place at that time.  If all else is failing, you could have some mysterious helper leaving clues for him to find, maybe someone already involved in the story, or a new side-character.   Perhaps the identity of the helper will remain a mystery.  I love murder mysteries BTW. 
The wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size.

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »

It depends on your character's abilities.  Does he have any special powers?  Does he have any friends with experience in investigative procedures?  You could have him stumble serendipitously across a clue which leads him to solve the murder.  There might be new evidence that the falsely accused person couldn't have been in that place at that time.  If all else is failing, you could have some mysterious helper leaving clues for him to find, maybe someone already involved in the story, or a new side-character.   Perhaps the identity of the helper will remain a mystery.  I love murder mysteries BTW. 

He does, yes, though heck if I really know what they are. (I mean, I know what a few are, but like...not many. Yay lack of character development.) I actually do have one scene/chapter/thing (because it's not a finished chapter) where he gets access to the dagger that Arris was found with when he was standing over the murdered person's body (a councilman of another country's kingdom) because Arris had told him that there had been some kind of writing written on the handle of the dagger (and one of Merek's abilities is being able to read ancient languages pretty easily), and then the person who had ACTUALLY done the murdering showed up where the dagger was being kept safe and that person and Merek get into a struggle/fight which leads to that person being caught by the guards...but I haven't written any further chapters since writing that, and even then I ended up being like "ADD MORE HERE" with that scene because I was like "God this sucks" and wanted to keep moving on so I moved on to Arris's next chapter.

The person who actually murdered the councilman works for the person who decided to frame Arris, because it was their way of trying to bring Arris out of hiding so that he'll return to his homeland. But whom this person that decided to frame him and whom the person working for him that actually murdered the councilman is is still a mystery even to me at the moment. :P

...I've never written a murder mystery before in my life, and I never really intended to turn this into a murder mystery?! But it kind of is? Lol. It doesn't focus primarily on solving the mystery, though. It's just one side of the paralleling story. If I ended up doing what I think I'm going to, it might eventually only end up being a subplot of a much larger story, depending on what I come up with for that much larger story.

In this draft, I basically just need to get things to the point of Merek being able to prove that Arris didn't murder the councilman and Arris (and Merek, since he broke Arris out of the foreign king's prison) being allowed to live due to being exonerated. And then...I need something to happen that leads Arris to deciding to return home, 'cause that's basically where this story ends and where the sequel would pick up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:18:09 PM by Jedi Knight Muse »
NaNoWriMo 2018

Xanxa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »

He does, yes, though heck if I really know what they are. (I mean, I know what a few are, but like...not many. Yay lack of character development.) I actually do have one scene/chapter/thing (because it's not a finished chapter) where he gets access to the dagger that Arris was found with when he was standing over the murdered person's body (a councilman of another country's kingdom) because Arris had told him that there had been some kind of writing written on the handle of the dagger (and one of Merek's abilities is being able to read ancient languages pretty easily), and then the person who had ACTUALLY done the murdering showed up where the dagger was being kept safe and that person and Merek get into a struggle/fight which leads to that person being caught by the guards...but I haven't written any further chapters since writing that, and even then I ended up being like "ADD MORE HERE" with that scene because I was like "God this sucks" and wanted to keep moving on so I moved on to Arris's next chapter.

Sounds like Merek needs to find the dude he fought with, even if it means breaking into the prison/dungeon or bribing the guards there.  How is the writing on the dagger significant?  Is it the owner's name, code-name or other means of identification?   If the prisoner isn't being particularly helpful, maybe the guards will have found out something (via torture, mind-reading, whatever method they would use).

The person who actually murdered the councilman works for the person who decided to frame Arris, because it was their way of trying to bring Arris out of hiding so that he'll return to his homeland. But whom this person that decided to frame him and whom the person working for him that actually murdered the councilman is is still a mystery even to me at the moment. :P

Wow, what a twisted plot.  Sounds like something I'd think up and then struggle to sort out in the unravelling section of the story.  You will need to establish at some point the identity of the employer and the employee (for lack of better terms) behind the murder and framing.  Why is it so important to them that Arris returns to his homeland? 

...I've never written a murder mystery before in my life, and I never really intended to turn this into a murder mystery?! But it kind of is? Lol. It doesn't focus primarily on solving the mystery, though. It's just one side of the paralleling story. If I ended up doing what I think I'm going to, it might eventually only end up being a subplot of a much larger story, depending on what I come up with for that much larger story.

If it's a sub-plot, you could probably get away with solving it fairly easily.  Like I said before, it seems to hinge on the reason for wanting Arris to return to his homeland. 

In this draft, I basically just need to get things to the point of Merek being able to prove that Arris didn't murder the councilman and Arris (and Merek, since he broke Arris out of the foreign king's prison) being allowed to live due to being exonerated. And then...I need something to happen that leads Arris to deciding to return home, 'cause that's basically where this story ends and where the sequel would pick up.

Presumably Arris was forced to leave his homeland due to the murder charge hanging over him.  So he's living in exile somewhere or maybe on the run.  What would be important enough for him to risk returning home even if he's not exonerated?  A family member or close friend in need, perhaps?  Or you could further twist the plot by making him have to return home in order to prove his innocence.  That would depend on what sort of criminal justice system you have in place.  Would he be entitled to a fair trial or is it summary justice dispensed by a dictator or other powerful figure?  Could anyone vouch for his previous good character? 

I hope this helps. 

Sorry, I've messed up with the quotes and I can't sort it out.  I've tried about six times to find where I've gone wrong but I just keep making it worse!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:49:55 PM by Xanxa »

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 11:17:50 PM »
Sorry, I should have explained better.

Homeland=some far away place (I can't remember what I named it at the moment and I'm too lazy to get up and grab my world building binder :P ). This is not where the murder takes place. In fact, nothing takes place during this book in his homeland (unless in some future draft I expand it further than leaving off with him leaving to return to his homeland and get a little further than just him arriving there or something and THEN end this book).

Country that murder took place in=where he was visiting with the queen ('cause he's a queen's guard), which is called Alahan.

Illyria=the place where Arris (and Merek) both lived and trained as queen's guards from the ages of fourteen and fifteen to their current ages (like thirty-one, thirty-two years old) that they're queen's guards for.

So...with some parts of what you said, you actually weren't far off. He got broken out of prison by Merek, and Merek sent him into hiding to go across the sea to Merek's homeland, Tethra, which is where Arris goes to hideout (which is where the marketplace is that I mentioned before). He ends up being drawn back to Illyria because Merek has been captured by employee/maybe multiple employees of employer in order to draw Arris into a trap. This leads to Arris confronting...someone who is not the employer wanting Arris to return home, because that's too easy and is more of a "let's reveal who this person is in either book two or book three" kind of thing," and whatever this/these employee(s) reveal to Arris, that is what makes him decide to return to his homeland.

Sounds like Merek needs to find the dude he fought with, even if it means breaking into the prison/dungeon or bribing the guards there.  How is the writing on the dagger significant?  Is it the owner's name, code-name or other means of identification?   If the prisoner isn't being particularly helpful, maybe the guards will have found out something (via torture, mind-reading, whatever method they would use).

Well the dude (actually, I think I wrote it as being a girl...been a while since I wrote that scene) he fought with would have been brought to the dungeons, yeah. So Merek would need to be able to get some information from her, but that means having access to the dungeon, which I guess would be doable since he already has access to the dagger.

As for the writing on the dagger, I haven't really figured that out. I guess it could be a means of identification that would sort of be a clue for Arris, but maybe not. I don't really know.

Wow, what a twisted plot.  Sounds like something I'd think up and then struggle to sort out in the unravelling section of the story.  You will need to establish at some point the identity of the employer and the employee (for lack of better terms) behind the murder and framing.  Why is it so important to them that Arris returns to his homeland? 

That's the thing, even I do not really know why it's so important. I haven't been able to come up with any ideas.  :-\ I basically know very little about Arris as a character. At least with Merek I know a fair amount of basics, but Arris is almost a total mystery to me. I mean, the "obvious" thing would be for me to make him the long lost heir of his homeland's throne or something, but that's a little too obvious, and I've tried doing that plot so many times...I'd like to avoid it if I can, even if it is really tempting.

If it's a sub-plot, you could probably get away with solving it fairly easily.  Like I said before, it seems to hinge on the reason for wanting Arris to return to his homeland. 

Exactly. :-\ which is one of the reasons why I've been considering stepping back from this draft and trying to figure something out that's just...larger, with way more characters as the main cast, and see if I can turn it into a subplot rather than the main plot. I mean, either way I still have to figure out how the murder gets solved, and I still have to figure out why Arris has to go back to his homeland, but...at least it would help me get a fuller draft than what I have right now by adding in other character POV's and plots.

Presumably Arris was forced to leave his homeland due to the murder charge hanging over him.  So he's living in exile somewhere or maybe on the run.  What would be important enough for him to risk returning home even if he's not exonerated?  A family member or close friend in need, perhaps?  Or you could further twist the plot by making him have to return home in order to prove his innocence.  That would depend on what sort of criminal justice system you have in place.  Would he be entitled to a fair trial or is it summary justice dispensed by a dictator or other powerful figure?  Could anyone vouch for his previous good character? 

Like I said above, it's not his homeland he ran away from (I mean, it is- he ran away when he was like fourteen or fifteen or something, but he didn't run away because of the murder, because the murder took place many years later), it's where he was living until the murder took place, which is Illyria. So him having to return home to prove his innocence doesn't really work, 'cause before he leaves for his homeland that'll already have happened.

Merek would be the one who would basically be vouching for him, by presenting the evidence that proves it wasn't Arris. There's that, and there's also the fact that the queen, Cressida, has decided to give him a full pardon and allow Arris to live his life in peace (see this library submission, actually). Not necessarily the wisest of moves, obviously, and I'm sure she'll end up getting some backlash for it from her own councilmen, but she's doing it anyway. And even Merek won't get away scot-free for his part in helping Arris escape, but it won't be a super severe punishment (especially not compared to what the Alahan king wanted to punish Arris with, which was death, even though he really didn't have evidence that proved that Arris had murdered the councilman).

So I guess the answer would be summary justice dispensed by a dictator/powerful figure.
NaNoWriMo 2018

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
Hurt, Chief of the Gods, is contemplating how to retrieve an escaped Demi-god from his hiding place in the mortal world. He has settled on a two prong plan of attack; send more Demi-gods to the world (the more human ones, not the guys with cow heads or anything), and coordinate the churches of the mortals to locate the escapee.

Meanwhile, the mortals of the city of Mawwood are reacting to news of a 'monster' in their midst, a creature not seen since the Gods were banned from the world for various acts of unpleasantness, such as turning into animals and trying to seduce people, and creating monstrosities 'just to see what happens'. The Council Elders are trying to find heroes to slay the beast, but the kind of heroes that used to do such deeds were always Demi-gods, who, again, have not set foot in the world for generations. This has prompted an influx of orphans, goat herders and miscellaneous people of low birth to enter the city, assuming that they are in fact brimming with the power of their (supposed) divine parents, ready to seize their birthright and slay the monster.  This does not end well.
Menea, daughter of one of the elders and the only real Mawwood equivalent of a princess, is planning an escape before the cityfolk decide to return to that age old custom; feeding ladies of high birth to the monster. She has just slipped into the ancient sewers under the city to make good her escape, but her father's selfish co-council, Crowe, has sent his personnel guard to arrest her to 'keep her safe'.

Xanxa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
Replying to JKM following our discussion yesterday.

I understand better about the situation now.  I think the important thing is to solve the murder and prove Arris's innocence.  Given what you said about the justice system, this might be difficult.  If they don't have a trial system, how could Merek convince the dispenser of summary justice to listen to him?  He would need to present very compelling evidence, which leads us back to the prisoner. 

Once the murder has been solved, then you can move on with the other plot elements, including the trap for Arris and the revelation which leads him to return to his homeland. 

That sounds like plenty of plot for one book.  I hope I've been able to help. 

Jedi Knight Muse

• A muse that's a Jedi
  • Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
Replying to JKM following our discussion yesterday.

I understand better about the situation now.  I think the important thing is to solve the murder and prove Arris's innocence.  Given what you said about the justice system, this might be difficult.  If they don't have a trial system, how could Merek convince the dispenser of summary justice to listen to him?  He would need to present very compelling evidence, which leads us back to the prisoner. 

Once the murder has been solved, then you can move on with the other plot elements, including the trap for Arris and the revelation which leads him to return to his homeland. 

That sounds like plenty of plot for one book.  I hope I've been able to help. 

Oh, I imagine that they definitely have some kind of a trial system. I mean, the story starts out with a trial of sorts sort of taking place (only it was very much a "skip the witnesses, move on to the sentence, OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" kind of thing), but that was in Alahan where the king is far more likely to be more...reckless and impatient...with things like that. Cressida is queen of Illyria and she's way more fair and thinks things out more and such. So I think there will definitely be a trial of some kind toward the end of the story where Merek will be able to present his evidence, even if it's just for the sake of Cressida showing her councilmen that Arris is innocent and following procedure.

But figuring out what that evidence is is easier said than done at the moment. It's one of the many things I still have to get figured out, though.
NaNoWriMo 2018

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Currently Seth has run away from the school and after meeting a nice wanderer was now just captured by two guys who plan to sell him into slavery.

That also means i'm nearing the first major fighting scene involving my magic system.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Word Count : 34,711