Aeon Timeline 2

• 7 Replies

HSCook

• Journeyman
  • There is no greater power than that in a pen.
    • View Profile
    • The Blood King Chronicles ~ Tales from Cyrell
Aeon Timeline 2
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:26:22 AM »
First up, I'm on mobile and apologise in advance if this is somewhat incoherent.

So... Wasn't sure where to put this. It ties into worldbuilding and plottong and how you write.... But I figured it's a useful tool which makes it a resource, sort of.

For those of you who plot, or those plansltsers who like overviews, or anyone who just likes organising whether it is before or after the writing, this is a fantastic piece of software.
It even links to Scrivener so that you can move your scenes around and keep an eye of events in sequence, as well as in writing order.

Personally, I use it to chronicle my world history. All of it. Written or not. Chapters either create new events or get linked to events. Births, deaths, country divisions, wars, treaties... It's all there. It is incredibly powerful when you get going with it and, pucking it up without reading any tutorials, I worked it out pretty quickly. It's incredibly intuitive. I created my own calendar, my own ages and it's now populated with events.

To keep things organised, link characters to specific events, highlight locations and, my personal favourite, create story arcs. You can then view specific events by arc or by character etc, to make sure things flow right and make sense. And you can drag and drop to move things.

It isn't free, but there are often offers. I got it half price through NaNo (about 15). If you get the chance to play, I recommend it. It was made for the fantasy authors in this world. (I don't know if it was but it definitely feels like it was.)

Anyone else tried it out or a fan of timelining?

Sorry this post is a mess. Mobile, 05:30 and no sleep. Just love Aeon Timeline!!!
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

MagicMagor

• Librarium Testers
  • Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Aeon Timeline 2
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:18:23 AM »
Like i said in another thread, i thought about it. I know it has a 30-day trial but i'm curious how that works. Normally 30-day means 30 days after the first usage, even if i don't open the program in the subsequent days. Scrivener however had a different 30-day trial. There it counted only those days where Scrivener was actually opened, so i'm wondering if Timeline is also following that model.
Title: Tigerhall (WIP)
Progress: 12/29 Scenes, 1/3 Acts
Word Count Total: 24,496
Word Count Draft: 15,064

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
Like i said in another thread, i thought about it. I know it has a 30-day trial but i'm curious how that works. Normally 30-day means 30 days after the first usage, even if i don't open the program in the subsequent days. Scrivener however had a different 30-day trial. There it counted only those days where Scrivener was actually opened, so i'm wondering if Timeline is also following that model.

I have no idea. It's made by a different company. I didn't bother with the trial after seeing what it could do.
 Plus I got it for a tenner which was an added bonus.
A true friend is a traitor indeed when they ignore what you want to do what you need.

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Ann Trueman - fantasy writer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
I bought Aeon Timeline 2, but I have a problem and can't find an answer on AE2's support pages or on Google. So here's the question: In what way can a writer best use tags, properties, entity types (especially arcs), and colors? They all seem to have similar functions to me.
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »
I bought Aeon Timeline 2, but I have a problem and can't find an answer on AE2's support pages or on Google. So here's the question: In what way can a writer best use tags, properties, entity types (especially arcs), and colors? They all seem to have similar functions to me.
Tags, I personally barely use. Entity types are important though as the timeline gets populated. Because I have a lot of extensive history, I use arcs to group main plots (primary arc) and then have secondary and referenced arcs. Like the 'Fall of the Mad King' (primary arc): some events in this arc tie into the later 'Fate's Prophecy' arc while others are directly related to 'Demon's Rule' and 'Nine Races' arcs (secondaries).

While starting out, this doesn't seem important but when the timeline is full and growing cluttered, being able to view specific arcs, locations or characters really helps make sure things are straight and continuity is followed.

Locations is a good example for me on this. I had a small village and forgot all about what had happened there in a passing reference which didn't tie in to what had happened on site. Looking at the timeline and filtering that single location revealed things that could not have happened in the order I had them (main location and referenced location used).

Colours I use for instant visual. I try and you're things together with different colours. Usually the MC for the chapter or event in question. Again, I have primary, secondary and referenced for that. Colouring scrivener chapters will change the colour in the binder after syncing.

Properties I only use summaries at the moment which are set to sync to scrivener (the index cards on the corkboard whose name eludes me).

Remember to add entities once you have types set up. As you add or arrange events, pick and choose from those you have created or create a new one.

Early on, it seems like a lot of work but I can't say enough how useful it is now. The added complexity and how arcs and characters weave together and interconnect is sometimes hard to visualise and Aeon Timeline 2 is a master at showing those connections. Especially when you start linking events and tying them together.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:39:15 PM by HSCook »

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
Thank you! That's a big help!!

HSCook

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
Thank you! That's a big help!!

No worries! I recommend messing around a little before atarting your main project file. Get to grips with thr different aspects and see how they would be useful to you. Everyone is different.

Once you add events, you can't change the calendar itself, so remember that.

ScribblerKat

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »
Thanks again. Practicing with a "throw away" file was what I had in mind. There's a bit of a learning curve.  :)